Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Another state trying to ban junk food bought with food stamps

Posted by   + Show Post

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- There's a push in Texas to ban people from buying junk food and energy drinks with food stamps.

There are currently two legislative bills Texas lawmakers are discussing. One would ban the purchase of junk food with food stamps. The other would ban the purchase of energy drinks.

"We should not be on the one hand using tax dollars to buy junk food and on the other hand using tax dollars to pay for the health-related diseases because of junk food," said state representative Richard Pena Raymond.

Supporters of the bill say those on federal assistance are abusing what their given by purchasing items with no nutritional value.

Both bills are still moving through the legislative process.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Replies (331-340):
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Sarcasm?

Quoting JTROX:

Good.  Beggars shouldn't be allowed to be choosers.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I see nothing wrong with it....our charities here who give out financial help have the same rules with their money.

Food here is cheaper to cook from scratch....however a lot of low income  people dont know how to cook.  My husband is from a low income background, he really has no idea how to cook with vegetables...unless its tomatoes.  Our kids hate his cooking of vegetables...they wont eat them.  However they love them if I cook them.

I hate cooking :-(

themissheather
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Why don't we work to make healthy food more financially available and improve education about it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
notabosley
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:22 AM
You can't purchase slim fast with food stamps, but you can purchase energy drinks? I agree they never should have been allowed to purchase them with ebt.
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:50 AM

My children do not "eat junk."  And if a government program is supplementing a family's food budget, then yes, those foods should be healthy; just like I feed my own children.

Quoting Jessica518:

Your taxes dont pay for every family. So their kids should eat healthy while yours eat junk?

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I really have no issue with this. The supplemental food program should be to provide healthy food choices. If the family chooses to purchase junk food, they should do so on their own dime. Not mine. 

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting themissheather:

Why don't we work to make healthy food more financially available and improve education about it.

If you consume fresh fruit/veg in season and local, these are much cheaper. And you can pick in-season and freeze for off-season. And another thing: there is more than enough education about eating healthy. It is just a matter of doing it. No one is going to spoon feed us.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Why would it be sarcasm?

Many people believe this.

Quoting paganbaby:

Sarcasm?

Quoting JTROX:

Good.  Beggars shouldn't be allowed to be choosers.

Jessica518
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Noone should be allowed to tell parents what to feed their children. They give them help and that dont mean they can control what they buy. So I really dont see how anyone even thinks its okay. Your not giving me a good reason. Your only reason has been I dont want them buyin junk food with my tax money. Like I said you dont pay for every familys foodstamps. Im just not understanding your way if thinking. If its junk food okay then lets ban junk food for everyone. Fast food. Alcohol people cant handle it. Guns. Whats next?

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

My children do not "eat junk."  And if a government program is supplementing a family's food budget, then yes, those foods should be healthy; just like I feed my own children.

Quoting Jessica518:

Your taxes dont pay for every family. So their kids should eat healthy while yours eat junk?

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I really have no issue with this. The supplemental food program should be to provide healthy food choices. If the family chooses to purchase junk food, they should do so on their own dime. Not mine. 

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Food stamps is not a Right.  It is not in the US Constituition. It is a supplemental assistance program. If you do not like the program, then don;t sign up for it. However, if you want to particpate, there are certain rules in place in order to qualify. And yes, I just so happen to believe that those foods provided for under the supplemental program should be healthy foods only. I honestly do not see a problem with this at all. And honestly, I can not see why you have issue with eating a healthy diet either.

So, you do not understand my desire to eat healthy; and I do not understand your desire to have a diet which consists only of "junk food."

Quoting Jessica518:

Noone should be allowed to tell parents what to feed their children. They give them help and that dont mean they can control what they buy. So I really dont see how anyone even thinks its okay. Your not giving me a good reason. Your only reason has been I dont want them buyin junk food with my tax money. Like I said you dont pay for every familys foodstamps. Im just not understanding your way if thinking. If its junk food okay then lets ban junk food for everyone. Fast food. Alcohol people cant handle it. Guns. Whats next?

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting Jessica518:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Jessica518
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Who said I signed up for it? Theres no rules of what you can and cant buy. Just has to eatable. You dont know me okay? I never said I eat junk food. For your FYI I eat healthy and I DONT eat fast food. And neither does my kid. So your just assuming you know my life based on me defending other people the right to buy what they want.

Quoting Ms.KitKat: Food stamps is not a Right.  It is not in the US Constituition. It is a supplemental assistance program. If you do not like the program, then don;t sign up for it. However, if you want to particpate, there are certain rules in place in order to qualify. And yes, I just so happen to believe that those foods provided for under the supplemental program should be healthy foods only. I honestly do not see a problem with this at all. And honestly, I can not see why you have issue with eating a healthy diet either.
So, you do not understand my desire to eat healthy; and I do not understand your desire to have a diet which consists only of "junk food."
Quoting Jessica518:Noone should be allowed to tell parents what to feed their children. They give them help and that dont mean they can control what they buy. So I really dont see how anyone even thinks its okay. Your not giving me a good reason. Your only reason has been I dont want them buyin junk food with my tax money. Like I said you dont pay for every familys foodstamps. Im just not understanding your way if thinking. If its junk food okay then lets ban junk food for everyone. Fast food. Alcohol people cant handle it. Guns. Whats next?
Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting Jessica518:Your taxes dont pay for every family. So their kids should eat healthy while yours eat junk?

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)