Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another state trying to ban junk food bought with food stamps

Posted by   + Show Post

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- There's a push in Texas to ban people from buying junk food and energy drinks with food stamps.

There are currently two legislative bills Texas lawmakers are discussing. One would ban the purchase of junk food with food stamps. The other would ban the purchase of energy drinks.

"We should not be on the one hand using tax dollars to buy junk food and on the other hand using tax dollars to pay for the health-related diseases because of junk food," said state representative Richard Pena Raymond.

Supporters of the bill say those on federal assistance are abusing what their given by purchasing items with no nutritional value.

Both bills are still moving through the legislative process.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Replies (341-350):
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I meant "you" in very general terms. If you(personally YOU in this case) are taking it personally that it is your (personally you) problem.

I presume to know nothing of your personal life. However, you did assume that I feed my children junk food.

"Quoting Jessica518:Your taxes dont pay for every family. So their kids should eat healthy while yours eat junk? "

But again, food stamps is not a Right.

Quoting Jessica518:

Who said I signed up for it? Theres no rules of what you can and cant buy. Just has to eatable. You dont know me okay? I never said I eat junk food. For your FYI I eat healthy and I DONT eat fast food. And neither does my kid. So your just assuming you know my life based on me defending other people the right to buy what they want.

Quoting Ms.KitKat: Food stamps is not a Right.  It is not in the US Constituition. It is a supplemental assistance program. If you do not like the program, then don;t sign up for it. However, if you want to particpate, there are certain rules in place in order to qualify. And yes, I just so happen to believe that those foods provided for under the supplemental program should be healthy foods only. I honestly do not see a problem with this at all. And honestly, I can not see why you have issue with eating a healthy diet either.
So, you do not understand my desire to eat healthy; and I do not understand your desire to have a diet which consists only of "junk food."
Quoting Jessica518:Noone should be allowed to tell parents what to feed their children. They give them help and that dont mean they can control what they buy. So I really dont see how anyone even thinks its okay. Your not giving me a good reason. Your only reason has been I dont want them buyin junk food with my tax money. Like I said you dont pay for every familys foodstamps. Im just not understanding your way if thinking. If its junk food okay then lets ban junk food for everyone. Fast food. Alcohol people cant handle it. Guns. Whats next?
Quoting Ms.KitKat:
 My children do not "eat junk."  And if a government program is supplementing a family's food budget, then yes, those foods should be healthy; just like I feed my own children.

Quoting Jessica518:Your taxes dont pay for every family. So their kids should eat healthy while yours eat junk?

Quoting Ms.KitKat:
 I really have no issue with this. The supplemental food program should be to provide healthy food choices. If the family chooses to purchase junk food, they should do so on their own dime. Not mine. 

Jessica518
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM
If thats the case I would not have put a question mark. I was asking you a question.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I meant "you" in very general terms. If you(personally YOU in this case) are taking it personally that it is your (personally you) problem.

I presume to know nothing of your personal life. However, you did assume that I feed my children junk food.

"Quoting Jessica518:Your taxes dont pay for every family. So their kids should eat healthy while yours eat junk? "

Quoting Jessica518:

Who said I signed up for it? Theres no rules of what you can and cant buy. Just has to eatable. You dont know me okay? I never said I eat junk food. For your FYI I eat healthy and I DONT eat fast food. And neither does my kid. So your just assuming you know my life based on me defending other people the right to buy what they want.

Quoting Ms.KitKat: Food stamps is not a Right.  It is not in the US Constituition. It is a supplemental assistance program. If you do not like the program, then don;t sign up for it. However, if you want to particpate, there are certain rules in place in order to qualify. And yes, I just so happen to believe that those foods provided for under the supplemental program should be healthy foods only. I honestly do not see a problem with this at all. And honestly, I can not see why you have issue with eating a healthy diet either.
So, you do not understand my desire to eat healthy; and I do not understand your desire to have a diet which consists only of "junk food."
Quoting Jessica518:Noone should be allowed to tell parents what to feed their children. They give them help and that dont mean they can control what they buy. So I really dont see how anyone even thinks its okay. Your not giving me a good reason. Your only reason has been I dont want them buyin junk food with my tax money. Like I said you dont pay for every familys foodstamps. Im just not understanding your way if thinking. If its junk food okay then lets ban junk food for everyone. Fast food. Alcohol people cant handle it. Guns. Whats next?
Quoting Ms.KitKat:
 My children do not "eat junk."  And if a government program is supplementing a family's food budget, then yes, those foods should be healthy; just like I feed my own children.

Quoting Jessica518:Your taxes dont pay for every family. So their kids should eat healthy while yours eat junk?

Quoting Ms.KitKat:
 I really have no issue with this. The supplemental food program should be to provide healthy food choices. If the family chooses to purchase junk food, they should do so on their own dime. Not mine. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:10 PM

And I answered your question. You went on though, continuing to be argumentative. I do not care to argue. I was simply stating my opinion. You obviously do not agree. Some 22 other posters here at CM did. To me it seems like a no-brainer. Allow healthy food choices only for the supplemental food stamps program. This is just common sense.

Quoting Jessica518:

If thats the case I would not have put a question mark. I was asking you a question.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting Jessica518:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

happinessforyou
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:11 PM

THIS-

"Supporters of the bill say those on federal assistance are abusing what their given by purchasing items with no nutritional value"

Jessica518
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:25 PM
No its not common sense. Its ignorant. Thats my opinion if you agree or not. Your not chamging my mind and im not changing yours. So this is completly pointless. Have a nice day lady :)

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

And I answered your question. You went on though, continuing to be argumentative. I do not care to argue. I was simply stating my opinion. You obviously do not agree. Some 22 other posters here at CM did. To me it seems like a no-brainer. Allow healthy food choices only for the supplemental food stamps program. This is just common sense.

Quoting Jessica518:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting Jessica518:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Trollslayer
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting specialwingz:

You, too, are missing the point.  I get that ounce per ounce, homemade chili is cheaper.  But, to make that pot of chili, a person has to buy all the components.  IE...meat, cans of beans, cans of tomato sauce, cans of tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, etc.  Many people don't have a heavily stocked spice cabinet.  For the amount of all the components for that pot of chili, a struggling person could have bought 2 cans of chili, a bag of fritos (for frito chili pie, which stretches the chili), a chunk of cheese (from WIC) to shred for the top.  AND...still have money left over to buy milk, boxed mac & cheese (which I'm sure you also consider junk), but a 50 cent box will feed 4 people along with a .69 can of green beans.  But, when it comes down to a $20 to feed your family for a week, it sure as hell wouldn't be spent on a pot of chili that we have to eat 4 nights in a row.  It's going to be spent on as many cheap meals as possible to add variety.

You just have no clue what it's like to have to struggle.  I've been there.  And, I hope I never have to be there again.  But, I will say that it taught me not to judge others and to have comapssion for them, as well.  Which many of you could do with a good lesson in those areas.

Judgement is ugly and your energy is better spent on more positive things, like minding your own business and taking care of your family the way YOU choose instead of negatively judging others.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Making your own chili is NOT more expensive than the canned version, if you look at the yield of each. One can of chili wouldn't feed 4 people, plus give you left overs for lunch the next day. It costs me roughly 5 dollars(that is including chili meat) for a big pot of chili, for 4 people and I have plenty left over for either lunch for all 4 of us, or a new meal for dinner. One can of even the cheapest chili here is over 2 dollars, so no, it isn't cheaper to buy canned chili. There isn't much that goes into chili. Spices are extremely cheap and so are beans, and if you omit the meat, it's even cheaper. Beans are a good source of protein.

Quoting specialwingz:

Although I do cook everything from scratch, many people don't.  So, a can of chili is JUNK?  Making chili from scratch is way more expensive than the can.  So, people who can't afford to cook everything from scratch are eating "junK" just because it came from a can?  Hope you have a ladder so you don't hurt yourself climbing down off that high horse of yours.

Quoting talia-mom:

I think it is pretty damn obvious canned chili and lunchables are junk food.

But yeah, we should just let people buy whatever they want despite this being a nutrition program.

Quoting gma12.1:

What guidelines would be used to constitute "junk food" or food with no nutritional value? Some ppl think that if it isn't organic it is juck food, others think that pre-packaged food is junk food because the nutritional value has been depleted so much. Would saltine crackers be junk food? What about lunchables? Canned fruit in syrup? Canned chili? Who gets to say & how will the grocery stores know what is junk food? Sorry but that is an asinine bill. It will cost more to implement than it will save. Even in the long run it won't even out, the legislature will have to have a new dept, staff, rules, regulations, redo the entire food stamp system. So the what happens? We tax payers will pay more.

specialwingz.....you are exactly correct!

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:28 PM

thank you

Quoting Trollslayer:

Quoting specialwingz:

You, too, are missing the point.  I get that ounce per ounce, homemade chili is cheaper.  But, to make that pot of chili, a person has to buy all the components.  IE...meat, cans of beans, cans of tomato sauce, cans of tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, etc.  Many people don't have a heavily stocked spice cabinet.  For the amount of all the components for that pot of chili, a struggling person could have bought 2 cans of chili, a bag of fritos (for frito chili pie, which stretches the chili), a chunk of cheese (from WIC) to shred for the top.  AND...still have money left over to buy milk, boxed mac & cheese (which I'm sure you also consider junk), but a 50 cent box will feed 4 people along with a .69 can of green beans.  But, when it comes down to a $20 to feed your family for a week, it sure as hell wouldn't be spent on a pot of chili that we have to eat 4 nights in a row.  It's going to be spent on as many cheap meals as possible to add variety.

You just have no clue what it's like to have to struggle.  I've been there.  And, I hope I never have to be there again.  But, I will say that it taught me not to judge others and to have comapssion for them, as well.  Which many of you could do with a good lesson in those areas.

Judgement is ugly and your energy is better spent on more positive things, like minding your own business and taking care of your family the way YOU choose instead of negatively judging others.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Making your own chili is NOT more expensive than the canned version, if you look at the yield of each. One can of chili wouldn't feed 4 people, plus give you left overs for lunch the next day. It costs me roughly 5 dollars(that is including chili meat) for a big pot of chili, for 4 people and I have plenty left over for either lunch for all 4 of us, or a new meal for dinner. One can of even the cheapest chili here is over 2 dollars, so no, it isn't cheaper to buy canned chili. There isn't much that goes into chili. Spices are extremely cheap and so are beans, and if you omit the meat, it's even cheaper. Beans are a good source of protein.

Quoting specialwingz:

Although I do cook everything from scratch, many people don't.  So, a can of chili is JUNK?  Making chili from scratch is way more expensive than the can.  So, people who can't afford to cook everything from scratch are eating "junK" just because it came from a can?  Hope you have a ladder so you don't hurt yourself climbing down off that high horse of yours.

Quoting talia-mom:

I think it is pretty damn obvious canned chili and lunchables are junk food.

But yeah, we should just let people buy whatever they want despite this being a nutrition program.

Quoting gma12.1:

What guidelines would be used to constitute "junk food" or food with no nutritional value? Some ppl think that if it isn't organic it is juck food, others think that pre-packaged food is junk food because the nutritional value has been depleted so much. Would saltine crackers be junk food? What about lunchables? Canned fruit in syrup? Canned chili? Who gets to say & how will the grocery stores know what is junk food? Sorry but that is an asinine bill. It will cost more to implement than it will save. Even in the long run it won't even out, the legislature will have to have a new dept, staff, rules, regulations, redo the entire food stamp system. So the what happens? We tax payers will pay more.

specialwingz.....you are exactly correct!

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I just find it fairly hypocritical when I see people agree with this...when you know most of these people would fight it tooth and nail if it were to happen to all Americans...look at the backlash when school lunches were changed...this just looks like a way to punish people for being poor...

Do I think people need to make better food choices? Of course I do...but I also don't agree with the government 'banning' food...

And before you get your panties in a twist with the whole 'we pay for it' nonsense, we pay for ALL people to eat junk food...look at the amount of corporate welfare and farm subsidies we pay...

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM

ROTFLMFAO So you think eating healthy is ignorant and not common sense. That';s a good one. Well if that's your story and you're sticking with it, all I can say to that is: Good Luck with that!

Quoting Jessica518:

No its not common sense. Its ignorant. Thats my opinion if you agree or not. Your not chamging my mind and im not changing yours. So this is completly pointless. Have a nice day lady :)

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting Jessica518:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting Jessica518:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Jessica518
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Ignorant that people think they can tell people what to buy and feed their kids. Later :)

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

ROTFLMFAO So you think eating healthy is ignorant and not common sense. That';s a good one. Well if that's your story and you're sticking with it, all I can say to that is: Good Luck with that!

Quoting Jessica518:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting Jessica518:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting Jessica518:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured