Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama: Overcoming poverty and violence hard, but can be done

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM
  • 22 Replies

(CNN) -- President Barack Obama said Friday that children from communities wracked by poverty and violence need help from the government, schools, family and clergy to have a chance to climb "ladders of opportunity" to reach the middle class and beyond.

Speaking at a Chicago high school near where he used to live, Obama cited gun violence that killed 443 people in the city last year as one reason why children need community wide support to help them believe they can improve their lives through education and hard work.

"In too many neighborhoods today, whether here in Chicago or the farthest reaches of rural America, it can feel like, for a lot of young people, the future only extends to the next street corner or the outskirts of town," he said, adding "that no matter how much you work or how hard you try, your destiny was determined the moment you were born."

Making his third campaign-style appearance in three days, Obama again emphasized proposals from Tuesday's State of the Union address, such as raising the minimum wage to $9 an hour and providing good pre-schooling for every child as necessary to help people better themselves.

The president also called for Congress to vote on a package of gun proposals aimed at decreasing shootings like ones that occur daily on streets and in homes, as well as mass killings in recent months at a school, a movie theater and even a place of worship.

According to the Centers of Disease Control, there were 11,078 homicides by firearm in the United States in 2010, and 7,220 of the victims -- 65% -- were aged 15-34. In addition, 6,151 -- or 56% -- were African American, a demographic that comprises about 13% of the total U.S. population.

"This is not just a gun issue," he continued. "It's also an issue of the kinds of communities that we're building, and for that we all share responsibility as citizens to fix it."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/15/politics/obama-guns/index.html

I think this is pretty important as if we can raise the general population out of poverty it will go a long way to improving the current violence climate.

Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac.
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Oh well I thought this was the heart of the problem perhaps not.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Of course it's not a gun issue....Chicago is one of the leading  areas in gun control laws.

I'm all for giving people a hand up. What they do with that hand up comes from what they're taught at home.

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I do not think throwing more money at poverty is the answer but perhaps the way people treat other people in their own community is. Neighbors no longer help neighbors. People call DCS or cops on kids and families when it used to be you would march over and speak your mind. I just have no idea why we became this society that has someone handle everything for us but it certainly hasn't been beneficial.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Of course it's not a gun issue....Chicago is one of the leading  areas in gun control laws.

I'm all for giving people a hand up. What they do with that hand up comes from what they're taught at home.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:51 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree...we've lost our sense of community. We don't trust our neighbors to correct our kids if needed and we certainly have lost the ability to discuss and negotiate with others to correct even the smallest things. Its like we can't communicate anymore.

Quoting stormcris:

I do not think throwing more money at poverty is the answer but perhaps the way people treat other people in their own community is. Neighbors no longer help neighbors. People call DCS or cops on kids and families when it used to be you would march over and speak your mind. I just have no idea why we became this society that has someone handle everything for us but it certainly hasn't been beneficial.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:52 AM
2 moms liked this

there is truth in what you say.  I dont know that everyone spoke their minds but many more did.  Now our neighborhoods are different.

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting Woodbabe:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:54 AM

That could be the tipping point when people don't communicate violence and tension grows.

Quoting Woodbabe:

I agree...we've lost our sense of community. We don't trust our neighbors to correct our kids if needed and we certainly have lost the ability to discuss and negotiate with others to correct even the smallest things. Its like we can't communicate anymore.

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting Woodbabe:

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Yes.

Quoting survivorinohio:

there is truth in what you say.  I dont know that everyone spoke their minds but many more did.  Now our neighborhoods are different.

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting Woodbabe:

illinoismommy83
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:55 AM

You turn 18, you go off to college, and you fix your own life. We have programs for this.

So, you graduate from a Chicago high school barely able to tie your shoes. Ok. So you go to a day labor place in Chicago (or just beg the streets for an hour) and you buy a greyhound ticket downstate. Illinois is full of community colleges and most of the community colleges are in areas with bus systems and affordable housing. Use grant money or loans or whatever (since clearly Chicago's poor can't possibly get good grades since poverty and guns made them unable to study, eyeroll) and finish community college and transfer.

Oh, and the community colleges participate in those work-study programs so these underprivileged youth pretty much have an easy in to employment to support themselves.

Then you graduate community college and depending on how much effort you put in, that determines what your 4 year completion costs are. Most of the community colleges have merit scholarships and a couple of A with honors projects and a quick presentation will send you off with a scholarship. Likewise, places like the University of Illinois in Springfield, IL have need/merit scholarships. No matter how poor you are and how many guns you played with as a child, Springfield gives pretty much everyone with a 3.0 or better at transfer at least a few thousand per year till graduation. 

Yes, Illinois is suffering because of our amazing programs, extensive public transit, ample student employment, low cost of living in community college towns, and low requirements. Clearly its because of our gun violence that we only require a 3.0 community college GPA to be showered in scholarships to fix your life.

I'm really sick of hearing about how sad Illinois is. Wah wah wah. There are too many agriculture jobs here. Wah wah wah. There is too much public transit here. Wah wah wah. 

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I agree...people don't know how to respect each other either because all they've been taught is how special THEY are. I can't help but wonder if that adds a layer of barrier to the communication problem. When two people are respectful, its so much easier to hear and be heard.

Quoting stormcris:

That could be the tipping point when people don't communicate violence and tension grows.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting Woodbabe:

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I think it is being the primary target because it has such a large history of violence. I do not think any of the things you mentioned though will help the roots of the problems. What is being said is America as a whole needs to get back their sense of community.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

You turn 18, you go off to college, and you fix your own life. We have programs for this.

So, you graduate from a Chicago high school barely able to tie your shoes. Ok. So you go to a day labor place in Chicago (or just beg the streets for an hour) and you buy a greyhound ticket downstate. Illinois is full of community colleges and most of the community colleges are in areas with bus systems and affordable housing. Use grant money or loans or whatever (since clearly Chicago's poor can't possibly get good grades since poverty and guns made them unable to study, eyeroll) and finish community college and transfer.

Oh, and the community colleges participate in those work-study programs so these underprivileged youth pretty much have an easy in to employment to support themselves.

Then you graduate community college and depending on how much effort you put in, that determines what your 4 year completion costs are. Most of the community colleges have merit scholarships and a couple of A with honors projects and a quick presentation will send you off with a scholarship. Likewise, places like the University of Illinois in Springfield, IL have need/merit scholarships. No matter how poor you are and how many guns you played with as a child, Springfield gives pretty much everyone with a 3.0 or better at transfer at least a few thousand per year till graduation. 

Yes, Illinois is suffering because of our amazing programs, extensive public transit, ample student employment, low cost of living in community college towns, and low requirements. Clearly its because of our gun violence that we only require a 3.0 community college GPA to be showered in scholarships to fix your life.

I'm really sick of hearing about how sad Illinois is. Wah wah wah. There are too many agriculture jobs here. Wah wah wah. There is too much public transit here. Wah wah wah. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN