Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Man who hit crying baby on plane ~ A hate crime?

Posted by   + Show Post
Should the man who hit the baby on the plane be charged with a hate crime?

He first called the baby the N word then hit the baby for crying.
Wouldn't that fall under the requirements? It was a racially fueled attack.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:08 AM
Replies (31-36):
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting bellawomen:

I don't think it was racially fueled.  I do think it was fueled by an idiot under the influence of alcohol.  I am not discounting his racial comments, but I do not think it was the primarly cause of his attack on the child.  The guy is a fucking idiot and I hope he gets the book thrown at him.

You don't think it was racially spurred? Do you think he would have had the gall to slap a white baby?

I wonder how the mother being white might have affecting him too. Would he have hit a white baby where the mother was white or was he more upset it was a white woman holding a black, although I think it was a biracial baby, assuming her husband was black. 

neveensaffron
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Oh HELL NO!!

That interview right there makes it 10times worse!!

Fuck that. He better be glad it wasn't me.
Y'all would be discussing on what prison time I should get.

I hope the baby and momma are doing better.

Quoting katy_kay08:

this link contains an interview with the mother.  I do think this was a hate crime.  He verbally assaulted the mother before he hit the child.  

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/executive-charged-slapping-toddler-plane-loses-job/story?id=18529437

Bennett, who was seated in row 28 alongside Hundley, told FBI agents that she tried to get her son to stop crying when Hundley "told her to shut that ['N word'] baby up."

"I said, 'What did you just say?'" Bennett said. "And he was so drunk that he fell onto my face, and his mouth moved over to my ear and he said it, just directly into my ear."

The 33-year-old mother then says Hundley slapped her son in the face.

"When I had looked at Jonah's face, he had, his eye was swollen…and it was bleeding," Bennett said. "I was just scared to death.

bellawomen
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Yes. He is an asshole.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting bellawomen:

I don't think it was racially fueled.  I do think it was fueled by an idiot under the influence of alcohol.  I am not discounting his racial comments, but I do not think it was the primarly cause of his attack on the child.  The guy is a fucking idiot and I hope he gets the book thrown at him.

You don't think it was racially spurred? Do you think he would have had the gall to slap a white baby?

candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I think he was just acting like a drunk, wouldn' t have mattered what color the baby was.

Lordgodempress
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:25 AM

he should be charged with child abuse, I dont know if it was a hate crime and I dont think there is enough evidence but child abuse yes.

Rhodin
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I don't think it's racial, but I do think it's ageist.  Some people are crazy prejudiced against children, the younger the worse, to the point where I'd be straight up afraid to take my own toddlers on a plane.  The older one, who is almost 3 and growing out of being a toddler, might be bought off with unlimited time with the Kindle, but the younger one, who's only just started toddling, is at the "chew on everything and scream" end of the Toddler Spectrum.  While I wouldn't have expected anyone to slap them (until now), I would have braced myself for any number of looks, sighs, grumbles, and snotty complaints delivered by the poor stewardess who got elected middleman.  If there had been a tantrum involved (always possible since planes never seem to take off when they're supposed to), I could have looked forward to being booted from the flight, which totally has happened before to other people.  And I don't even want to think about my biggest irrational fear, the 30,000 ft diaper.  So, I drive my kids everywhere, even when Priceline's begging me to check out their $79 flights to cities near grandparents and driving is 2 days of torture, bored screaming kids, and awkward nursing.  At least no one's ever gone up and slapped me in the driver's seat of my own car.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)