Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Leading Geneticist: Human Intelligence is Slowly Declining

Posted by   + Show Post

The part where we're becoming emotionally unstable really strikes a nerve, due to recent events...do you think there's any validity to this?

link

Would you be surprised to hear that the human race is slowly becoming dumber, and dumber? Despite our advancements over the last tens or even hundreds of years, some ‘experts’ believe that humans are losing cognitive capabilities and becoming more emotionally unstable. One Stanford University researcher and geneticist, Dr. Gerald Crabtree, believes that our intellectual decline as a race has much to do with adverse genetic mutations. But human intelligence is suffering for other reasons as well.

According to Crabtree, our cognitive and emotional capabilities are fueled and determined by the combined effort of thousands of genes. If a mutation occurred in any of of these genes, which is quite likely, then intelligence or emotional stability can be negatively impacted.

“I would wager that if an average citizen from Athens of 1000 BC were to appear suddenly among us, he or she would be among the brightest and most intellectually alive of our colleagues and companions, with a good memory, a broad range of ideas, and a clear-sighted view of important issues. Furthermore, I would guess that he or she would be among the most emotionally stable of our friends and colleagues,” the geneticist began his article in the scientific journal Trends in Genetics.

Further, the geneticist explains that people with specific adverse genetic mutations are more likely than ever to survive and live amongst the ‘strong.’ Darwin’s theory of ‘survival of the fittest’ is less applicable in today’s society, therefore those with better genes will not necessarily dominate in society as they would have in the past.

While this hypothesis does have some merit: are genes really the primary reason for the overall cognitive decline of the human race? If humans really are lacking in intelligence more than before, it’s important to recognize other possible causes. Let’s take a look at how our food system plays a role in all of this.

It’s sad, but true; our food system today is contributing to lower human intelligence across the board.

The Water Supply, Fluoride is Lowering Your IQ

Researchers from Harvard have found that a substance rampant in the nation’s water supply, fluoride,  is lowering IQ and dumbing down the population. The researchers, who had their findings published in the prominent journal Environmental Health Perspectivesa federal government medical journal stemming from the U.S National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, concluded that ”our results support the possibility of adverse effects of fluoride exposures on children’s neurodevelopment”.

“In this study we found a significant dose-response relation between fluoride level in serum and children’s IQ…This is the 24th study that has found this association”.

One attorney, Paul Beeber, NYSCOF President, weighs in on the research by saying:

“It’s senseless to keep subjecting our children to this ongoing fluoridation experiment to satisfy the political agenda of special-interest groups. Even if fluoridation reduced cavities, is tooth health more important than brain health? It’s time to put politics aside and stop artificial fluoridation everywhere”.

Pesticides are Diminishing Human Intelligence

One study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences found that pesticides, which are rampant among the food supply, are creating lasting changes in overall brain structure — changes that have been linked to lower intelligence levels and decreased cognitive function. Specifically, the researchers found that a pesticide known as chlorpyrifos (CPF) has been linked to ”significant abnormalities”. Further, the negative impact was found to occur even at low levels of exposure.

Lead researcher Virginia Rauh, a professor at the Mailman School of Public Health, summarized the findings:

“Toxic exposure during this critical period can have far-reaching effects on brain development and behavioral functioning.”

Processed Foods, High Fructose Corn Syrup Making People ‘Stupid’

Following 14,000 children, British researchers uncovered the connection between processed foods and reduced IQ. After recording the children’s’ diets and analyzing questionnaires submitting by the parents, the researchers found that if children were consuming a processed diet at age 3, IQ decline could begin over the next five years. The study found that by age 8, the children had suffered the IQ decline. On the contrary, children who ate a nutrient-rich diet including fruit and vegetables were found to increase their IQ over the 3 year period. The foods considered nutrient-rich by the researchers were most likely conventional fruits and vegetables.

Interestingly, one particular ingredient ubiquitous in processed foods and sugary beverages across the globe -high fructose corn syrup – has been tied to reduced IQ. The UCLA researchers coming to these findings found that HFCS may be damaging the brain functions of consumers worldwide, sabotaging learning and memory. In fact, the official release goes as far to say that high-fructose corn syrupcan make you ‘stupid’.

Gene mutations may have something to do with the ongoing decline in human intelligence, but let’s stop to think for a moment what we’re doing to ourselves to make this decline even more prominent.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Replies (21-30):
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't know how I feel about it because it seems to be ignoring a lot of the awfulness that was inherent in the human life to keep the genes strong. Most kids died before adulthood and most of the surviving didn't get to reproduce until quite recently in human history.

And a question would be is that Athens citizen a wealthy male landowner (ie a real citizen) or just some putz grabbed off the street, free or slave? I do not think that a twelve year old slave girl whose job is loading water jugs and being a concubine until death or disfigurement would be very emotionally healthy.
I think whoever wrote this article forgets the reality of humanity and our love of war. There were guys in the middle ages who only liked having sex with girls they could kill afterward and beat during. Those men still exist but they no longer are allowed down to the neighborhood whorehouse to pick out the girl who eats more than she makes in money and get rid of her. Well at least in modern countries, those proclivities aren't encouraged but death and sex were absolutely part of every person's daily life and there was no sense in trying to protect kids from either.

I just don't think the comparisons are the same.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting Woodbabe:

“I would wager that if an average citizen from Athens of 1000 BC were to appear suddenly among us, he or she would be among the brightest and most intellectually alive of our colleagues and companions, with a good memory, a broad range of ideas, and a clear-sighted view of important issues. Furthermore, I would guess that he or she would be among the most emotionally stable of our friends and colleagues,” the geneticist began his article in the scientific journal Trends in Genetics.

What is this based on?  

I would assume its based upon the educated person. They may not have had as many educated people, but those who were had it ALL in their head. We have a much higher percentage of educated people, but what do they know? Can they recite large pieces of prose? Can the do the deep critical thinking? We have more access to information at our fingertips, starting in the crib. We dont have to learn anything, we are now resource oriented. We just have to know what questions to ask, and it appears at our fingertips. Computers do the vast majority of our thinking for us. For example: How much harder is it to remember a large number of phone numbers a year after you get a cell phone?

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:56 AM

We jokingly call it Darwinsim....survival of the fittest. And you're right...only the strong survived. Have we weaked our gene pool by valuing life so much that we don't allow the weak to be 'weeded out' for lack of a more PC term?

There are/were plenty of variants in class structure but I'm pretty sure this article is referencing the educated. Those with educations had it ALL in their heads. They may have had maps and books to reference but they didn't have computers and cell phones doing all of the 'work' for them.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

I don't know how I feel about it because it seems to be ignoring a lot of the awfulness that was inherent in the human life to keep the genes strong. Most kids died before adulthood and most of the surviving didn't get to reproduce until quite recently in human history.

And a question would be is that Athens citizen a wealthy male landowner (ie a real citizen) or just some putz grabbed off the street, free or slave? I do not think that a twelve year old slave girl whose job is loading water jugs and being a concubine until death or disfigurement would be very emotionally healthy.
I think whoever wrote this article forgets the reality of humanity and our love of war. There were guys in the middle ages who only liked having sex with girls they could kill afterward and beat during. Those men still exist but they no longer are allowed down to the neighborhood whorehouse to pick out the girl who eats more than she makes in money and get rid of her. Well at least in modern countries, those proclivities aren't encouraged but death and sex were absolutely part of every person's daily life and there was no sense in trying to protect kids from either.

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting Denisethedaring:

Seems a pretty lame and superficial analysis to me.  I'd really need to see some hard data to be convinced at all. 

Did you notice there were a couple of links to actual scientific studies in the article? I bet they can give you the hard data you need. :) Here, I'll actually get them for you, to make it easier:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/?term=10.1289/ehp.1104912

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/04/25/1203396109.abstract?sid=a9d76fca-de70-4d5d-a78f-34f90b2911fc

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/59660

http://jech.bmj.com/content/early/2011/01/21/jech.2010.111955?q=w_jech_ahead_tab

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/this-is-your-brain-on-sugar-ucla-233992.aspx

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2673878/

Thanks.  Haven't looked over links yet, but do you know if the effects are reversible?  

While I have no problem believing the things listed as having negative effects in intellect, but I also think simple laziness has a lot to do with many kids having a low intellect.  Often kids labeled with having a low intellect is based on tests,but if intellect  was based on everyday things the kid is engaged in their intellect is average or many times above average.  In my experience society sells kids short by not acknowledging where many kids excel far beyond previous generations. 

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting Denisethedaring:

Seems a pretty lame and superficial analysis to me.  I'd really need to see some hard data to be convinced at all. 

Did you notice there were a couple of links to actual scientific studies in the article? I bet they can give you the hard data you need. :) Here, I'll actually get them for you, to make it easier:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/?term=10.1289/ehp.1104912

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/04/25/1203396109.abstract?sid=a9d76fca-de70-4d5d-a78f-34f90b2911fc

http://www.jci.org/articles/view/59660

http://jech.bmj.com/content/early/2011/01/21/jech.2010.111955?q=w_jech_ahead_tab

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/this-is-your-brain-on-sugar-ucla-233992.aspx

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2673878/

Thanks.  Haven't looked over links yet, but do you know if the effects are reversible?  

While I have no problem believing the things listed as having negative effects in intellect, but I also think simple laziness has a lot to do with many kids having a low intellect.  Often kids labeled with having a low intellect is based on tests,but if intellect  was based on everyday things the kid is engaged in their intellect is average or many times above average.  In my experience society sells kids short by not acknowledging where many kids excel far beyond previous generations. 

I really don't know, but you DO make sense! We definitely have some huge successes out there... :)

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I might take issue with the "slowly" part.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Still seems thin. I might not be able to recite the classics for him but he could because they were all he had to learn. For towns of years, what people learned didn't really change but we are also talking inherent ability. It would also be interesting to see if someone born now could be as "smart" even with the fluoride in the water as they were growing up. Could that person born now go back in time and be taught as they were and be just as smart?
I also take some issue with comparing the western world of today with a few billion people against the elite intellect of a few thousand men. I also could point out that they were crazy and a little dumb because they drank VERY acidic wine in lead cups. Most of the bodies in Roman times (around Rome and its empire) as well as the elite in the Han Dynasty of China were all carrying extremely toxic levels of lead in their bodies and likely made them confused and crazy by the time they were adults, sooner if they liked to drink alot.
I am just saying that there are so many variables and while we like to lament the world of today, the world was not a kind place and it wouldn't be a bonus to go back to the more natural way

Quoting Woodbabe:

We jokingly call it Darwinsim....survival of the fittest. And you're right...only the strong survived. Have we weaked our gene pool by valuing life so much that we don't allow the weak to be 'weeded out' for lack of a more PC term?

There are/were plenty of variants in class structure but I'm pretty sure this article is referencing the educated. Those with educations had it ALL in their heads. They may have had maps and books to reference but they didn't have computers and cell phones doing all of the 'work' for them.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Cool...here's 36 MORE studies on the same subject! :) I know its been a hot topic for a while.

http://www.fluoridealert.org/studies/brain01/

As of December 2012, a total of 42 studies have investigated the relationship between fluoride and human intelligence, and a total of 17 studies have investigated the relationship fluoride andlearning/memory in animals. Of these investigations, 36 of the 42 human studies have found that elevated fluoride exposure is associated with reduced IQ, while 16 of the 17 animal studies have found that fluoride exposure impairs the learning and memory capacity of animals. The human studies, which are based on IQ examinations of over 11,000 children, provide compelling evidence that fluoride exposure during the early years of life can damage a child’s developing brain.

After reviewing 27 of these studies, a team of Harvard scientists concluded that fluoride’s effect on the young brain should now be a “high research priority.” (Choi, et al 2012). Other reviewers have reached similar conclusions, including the prestigiousNational Research Council (NRC), and scientists in the Neurotoxicology Divisionof the Environmental Protection Agency (Mundy, et al). In the table below, we summarize the results from the 36 studies that have found associations between fluoride and reduced IQ and provide links to full-text copies of the studies. 

Quoting Denisethedaring:

First link, about loss of intelligence due to high fluoride water concentrations:  the average drop in IQ was found to be -0.45 points.  Even the article states: "The estimated decrease in average IQ associated with fluoride exposure based on our analysis may seem small and may be within the measurement error of IQ testing."  Yeah, it might!  :D  As work time allows I'll keep looking at the others...

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting Woodbabe:

What is this based on?  

I would assume its based upon the educated person. They may not have had as many educated people, but those who were had it ALL in their head. We have a much higher percentage of educated people, but what do they know? Can they recite large pieces of prose? Can the do the deep critical thinking? We have more access to information at our fingertips, starting in the crib. We dont have to learn anything, we are now resource oriented. We just have to know what questions to ask, and it appears at our fingertips. Computers do the vast majority of our thinking for us. For example: How much harder is it to remember a large number of phone numbers a year after you get a cell phone?

People do deep critical thinking in many ways in today's society.  Educated people can recite large pieces of information related to their field of education.  

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I think we're all still sharp enough to understand that of course, there were and always will be bad stuff in our environment! And I certainly wouldn't want to return to things like slavery and lead cups...

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Still seems thin. I might not be able to recite the classics for him but he could because they were all he had to learn. For towns of years, what people learned didn't really change but we are also talking inherent ability. It would also be interesting to see if someone born now could be as "smart" even with the fluoride in the water as they were growing up. Could that person born now go back in time and be taught as they were and be just as smart?
I also take some issue with comparing the western world of today with a few billion people against the elite intellect of a few thousand men. I also could point out that they were crazy and a little dumb because they drank VERY acidic wine in lead cups. Most of the bodies in Roman times (around Rome and its empire) as well as the elite in the Han Dynasty of China were all carrying extremely toxic levels of lead in their bodies and likely made them confused and crazy by the time they were adults, sooner if they liked to drink alot.
I am just saying that there are so many variables and while we like to lament the world of today, the world was not a kind place and it wouldn't be a bonus to go back to the more natural way

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN