Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Montana law would OK using roadkill for meat

maciymommieof3
In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month...THINK PINK...
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:27 AM
  • 42 Replies

Bill allowing meat from roadkill passes in Montana House

Published February 18, 2013 

FoxNews.com

• elkfilepic.jpg
    AP

A bill allowing individuals to salvage the meat from roadkilled game animals passed last week in Montana's House of Representatives, the Daily Inter Lake reported.

The measure passed 19-2 last week in the House and is now on its way to the state Senate, according to the newspaper. State Rep. Steve Lavin, a proponent of the bill, said the legislation is better than it sounds.

"When people first hear about it - roadkill - some of them think this is a crazy bill, but it's not," Lavin told the newspaper.

Lavin originally drafted the bill to allow generic "game animals, fur-bearing animals, migratory game birds and upland game birds" to be salvaged. But the idea was raising concerns among officials with Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks, according to the newspaper.

Many different kinds of game animals, including Bighorn sheep, bears and mountain lion, are killed by vehicles in the Thompson Falls area. The bill would allow to salvage the animals solely for their meat.

"As people know, people hit a lot of animals on roadways, and I mean a ton of them," Lavin reportedly said. "There's a lot of good meat being wasted out there."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/18/bill-allowing-meat-from-road-killed-animals-to-be-salvaged-passes-in-montana/?test=latestnews#ixzz2LLqMiRuE

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Fire up the bar-b, mate! 

tmeg71
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:39 AM
2 moms liked this

Our neighbor cooked a turtle they found near the road.

*cue music from Deliverance*

:P>-|o:

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Seriously? I have a feeling that if someone is needy enough to eat the animal they just killed with their car then they aren't worrying about if there is a law allowing them to do so.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:49 AM

throwing upno way

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Is this a joke?

x_Starr_x
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:58 AM
don't people know how dangerous this is hit a deer with a car you may rupture there bowel then meat it tainted you eat it your gonna get real sick this is a stupid law.
jllcali
by Jane on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:00 AM
2 moms liked this
The only issue I have with this is that there is a need for the law in the first place. The animal is already dead, might as well make a use out of it. People who would eat roadkill most likely already know that it is not clean, and would most likely take necessary precautions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jllcali
by Jane on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:03 AM
It would be fairly obvious if the deer had a ruptured bowel once it was cut open.

For the record- I don't eat roadkill.

Quoting x_Starr_x:

don't people know how dangerous this is hit a deer with a car you may rupture there bowel then meat it tainted you eat it your gonna get real sick this is a stupid law.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
x_Starr_x
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:06 AM
hey there's stupid people in the world who would try it.

Quoting jllcali:

It would be fairly obvious if the deer had a ruptured bowel once it was cut open.

For the record- I don't eat roadkill.

Quoting x_Starr_x:

KreatingMe
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Quoting x_Starr_x:

So why should that make it illegal? I don't eat road kill, actually I eat very little meat at all but I don't think the govt should prohibit it because someone might get sick. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)