Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Montana law would OK using roadkill for meat

Bill allowing meat from roadkill passes in Montana House

Published February 18, 2013 

FoxNews.com

• elkfilepic.jpg
    AP

A bill allowing individuals to salvage the meat from roadkilled game animals passed last week in Montana's House of Representatives, the Daily Inter Lake reported.

The measure passed 19-2 last week in the House and is now on its way to the state Senate, according to the newspaper. State Rep. Steve Lavin, a proponent of the bill, said the legislation is better than it sounds.

"When people first hear about it - roadkill - some of them think this is a crazy bill, but it's not," Lavin told the newspaper.

Lavin originally drafted the bill to allow generic "game animals, fur-bearing animals, migratory game birds and upland game birds" to be salvaged. But the idea was raising concerns among officials with Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks, according to the newspaper.

Many different kinds of game animals, including Bighorn sheep, bears and mountain lion, are killed by vehicles in the Thompson Falls area. The bill would allow to salvage the animals solely for their meat.

"As people know, people hit a lot of animals on roadways, and I mean a ton of them," Lavin reportedly said. "There's a lot of good meat being wasted out there."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/18/bill-allowing-meat-from-road-killed-animals-to-be-salvaged-passes-in-montana/?test=latestnews#ixzz2LLqMiRuE

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Replies (31-40):
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Was this ever illegal? If anybody I know hits a deer everyone comes running. The first thing they do us check on the occupants in the car. The second thing they do is start jockeying for possession of the deer carcass.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Wait. Why is there even a law against roadkill meat?

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Honey, I wrecked the truck when I hit a deer, but we have dinner for a week!

Really????

More like many months if its an elk.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM

That is a lot of meat.  Let me ask you this....how do you know if the animal is free of disease or something that may sicken you.  I have no idea.  I'm not against hunting either for the record.  It has it's purpose in societyand I see nothing wrong with it.  Families have been `living' on the land for generations.  Fishing, too.  Where do people think their `fresh catch' comes from?

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Really????

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM

The same way you tell when you hunt a deer.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

That is a lot of meat.  Let me ask you this....how do you know if the animal is free of disease or something that may sicken you.  I have no idea.  I'm not against hunting either for the record.  It has it's purpose in societyand I see nothing wrong with it.  Families have been `living' on the land for generations.  Fishing, too.  Where do people think their `fresh catch' comes from?

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Really????

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Aamy
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:53 PM

So?? In Alaska when a moose is hit and killed, its taken to a butcher who will cut away all the good meat and it is given to families in need of food .... So should be the same with deer and other big animals hit and killed on the road. 

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM
So get this. A friend of mine and her boyfriend are both hunters. They were driving up in the mountains on their way to go deer hunting, when a deer came bouncing out of the woods, and they ran smack into it. Ruined their car. They get out and it's a legal deer. So they were going to just tag it, carve it up and take it home. Unfortunately, a ranger came by and saw what had happened, and told them that they couldn't take the deer because they hadn't shot it fair and square. So they had to leave the carcass there. They asked the ranger what would happen to it, and he said that they could pull it off to the side and let the animals take it. What is the reasoning in that??
finnbar
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Hey, it might offset some of the repair costs

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Really????

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Exactly!  I understand from people that have eaten venison, that it is quite good, too. 

Quoting finnbar:

Hey, it might offset some of the repair costs

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Really????

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)