Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WA Dems Sponsor Bill Allowing Police To Search Gunowners’ Homes

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:33 PM
  • 98 Replies

February 19, 2013

in Front Page, Government, U.S. Constitution

Post image for WA Dems Sponsor Bill Allowing Police To Search Gunowners’ Homes

In a mistake that probably wasn’t a mistake, a Washington state bill sponsored by liberal Democrats contained a little-noticed provision that would have called for the police to have the right to search private citizens’ home once per year if they own certain types of guns. According to Senate Bill 5737:

In order to continue to possess an assault weapon that was legally possessed on the effective date of this section, the person possessing shall … safely and securely store the assault weapon. The sheriff of the county may, no more than once per year, conduct an inspection to ensure compliance with this subsection.

In other words, kiss the Fourth Amendment goodbye. Liberal lawmakers behind the bill claim they have no knowledge of the provision – which, of course, begs the question as to how the provision got into the bill in the first place. “I have to admit it shouldn’t be in there,” said Sen. Ed Murray (D-Seattle). “I made a mistake,” said Sen. Adam Kline (D-Seattle). “I frankly should have vetted this more closely.”

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Billiejeens
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM
6 moms liked this

They, of course, had to pass it to know what was in it.

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:43 PM
7 moms liked this
Yet again democrats caring about everything but what is actually in our constitution.
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:43 PM
2 moms liked this

what a crock of crap...

Peanutx3
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:49 PM

At least they removed that part from the bill.

Billiejeens
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I know that you don't think that part wrote itself in, they got caught, it will be back, probably nationally.

Quoting Peanutx3:

Peanutx3
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I have no doubt that it will be back.  At least now we know about it and can be extra vigilant about it.  I have to pay special attention to these types of bills since I have become the owner of a few "assult" weapons.

Quoting Billiejeens:

I know that you don't think that part wrote itself in, they got caught, it will be back, probably nationally.

Quoting Peanutx3:

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM
5 moms liked this

Well, as a Washington resident I don't mind....as long as they give me 24 hours notice so I can clear out all of my weapons of mass destruction I must be hiding, move my illegal gambling operations and clean out my indoor meth lab. Because, you know, since we own guns we obviously participate in all sorts of illegal activities.  

eye rolling

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:11 PM
3 moms liked this

Lord, Almighty. 

Bye, bye Bill of Rights! 

In Indiana, the police can already enter against your will.  You can sue them afterward, but you are "not allowed" to resist them or impede their entrance INTO your home.

I hope all you liberals love the nation you are creating.  One World Government with complete control of the citizens is on the way! 

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this
There is text missing from the bill. Can you please post the section between "person possessing shall..." and "safely and securely store the weapon"? The devil is often in the details. Thank you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Peanutx3
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:38 PM

They have since removed the part where it talks about the sheriff searching the homes of gun owners.  but here is the bill:  here if I remember correctly it is in section 2 subsection 5.

Quoting LauraKW:

There is text missing from the bill. Can you please post the section between "person possessing shall..." and "safely and securely store the weapon"? The devil is often in the details. Thank you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured