Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

WA Dems Sponsor Bill Allowing Police To Search Gunowners’ Homes

Posted by   + Show Post

February 19, 2013

in Front Page, Government, U.S. Constitution

Post image for WA Dems Sponsor Bill Allowing Police To Search Gunowners’ Homes

In a mistake that probably wasn’t a mistake, a Washington state bill sponsored by liberal Democrats contained a little-noticed provision that would have called for the police to have the right to search private citizens’ home once per year if they own certain types of guns. According to Senate Bill 5737:

In order to continue to possess an assault weapon that was legally possessed on the effective date of this section, the person possessing shall … safely and securely store the assault weapon. The sheriff of the county may, no more than once per year, conduct an inspection to ensure compliance with this subsection.

In other words, kiss the Fourth Amendment goodbye. Liberal lawmakers behind the bill claim they have no knowledge of the provision – which, of course, begs the question as to how the provision got into the bill in the first place. “I have to admit it shouldn’t be in there,” said Sen. Ed Murray (D-Seattle). “I made a mistake,” said Sen. Adam Kline (D-Seattle). “I frankly should have vetted this more closely.”

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Replies (91-98):
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Nothing new there.

Quoting Carpy:

Lol, you know nothing about mobile, do you? You kind of made an ass of yourself, here.

Quoting lga1965:

Funny,ha ha,it is to laugh.

Seriously,you should know how to quote by now,Einstein.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting lga1965:

You should learn to read.

I did....when I was 4. 67 years ago.

But....haven't you figured out how to QUOTE a post yet? That is so easy, why don't you know how?

Sawry - I was posting from my phone and I couldn't get the rotary dial to pick up the quote.

grandma B

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Yet...

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting kailu1835:

NP :)

I will add that most guns do not have to be registered, depending on the state you live in.

The only guns that the NFA requires to be registered (on a national level) are machine guns, short barreled rifles (overall length of gun less than 26"), short barreled shotguns (same), silencers, and destructive devices, of which there are two classes; devices such as grenades, bombs, explosive missiles, poison gas weapons etc, and any firearm with a bore over .5, unless they are used for legitimate sporting use, such as 12 gauge shotguns.

There is one other category that includes odd type guns, such as disguised firearms, handguns with a forward vertical grip, firearms that can be fired from a briefcase or wallet holster, etc. 

There may be state regulations that vary.    California, Hawaii, Iowa, Maryland, Michagan, New Jersey, and New York are the only states that require registration of handguns.  Washington has a partial registration law, that states that retail dealers must record and report all retail pistol sales to local police/sheriff and the state department of licensing, but no personal sales have to be registered.  That's 42 1/2 (because of partial registration in Washington) states full of guns that are not required to be registered.

Quoting lga1965:

Okay. Thanks for the clarification.

Quoting kailu1835:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. None of OUR (my husband's and mine) guns are registered. I didn't mean ours as in all of the citizens in the country.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting kailu1835:

exactly how are they going to know what kind of guns we have? None of them are registered. On purpose. Registration is how they know where to go get the guns.

What does that mean ?...."none of them are registered" ? Are you saying that nobody's guns in the USA are registered?

Are you kidding me?

I live in PA and long guns ( rifles, shotguns) do not have to be registered. I am unsure about handguns but I'm trying to figure that part out since I hope to buy a handgun in the near future. Our shotguns are not registered.

EDIT: I just looked it up and you do not have to register ANY firearms in PA. Good to know.

grandma B

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:46 AM

But with 42 states currently not requiring any registration whatsoever, how will the government know whether or not someone owns a so-called "assault rifle"?  If someone is carrying a gun, well that's probably because they have a concealed carry permit, required for all guns that are carried on the person.  Those aren't going to be rifles, but pistols.  Hunting guns are not assault rifles, and the federal government does not require them to be registered at all, and neither do any of the states.  So again, how are the police going to know if you own rifles?  There's the issue of having a hunting license specific to rifles, which would obviously mean you own rifles, but hunting rifles are not considered assault weapons, and are exempt from every single state gun law in existence in this country (that I know of, and I've done some digging).

If this bill specifically states "assault weapons," well, that means guns that are capable of being fully automatic, and there are already very stringent laws in place regarding who can own them, the hoops you have to jump through to qualify, etc, so I don't see how this bill would be any different, except for the language regarding police coming into your home unannounced to "inspect" your assault rifle, but that was taken out, so how is this going to change anything in that regard?

Quoting grandmab125:

As in all of these gun bills, you have to register your guns.  They are also banning the so called assault rifles, restrictions on features, clips, whatever.  If you already own any of the guns that they are banning people from purchasing in the future, the county sheriff would have the legal right to check your home once a year to make sure you have it safely stored and secured.  Meanwhile he gets to take a look around and snoop at all of the other guns you have too.  This was in the original draft of the bill.

They got caught and exposed on the "sheriff searching your house once a year" part, and removed it from the final bill submitted for a vote.  I don't think it has been signed into law yet.

I am sure that any one who doesn't register their guns, and then gets asked for their registration when they are seen with a gun, will be facing very stiff fines, and perhaps jail time.  I think that is the case in all of the states with registration laws now. 

Quoting kailu1835:

exactly how are they going to know what kind of guns we have? None of them are registered. On purpose. Registration is how they know where to go get the guns.

babiesbabybaby development

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM

This article is about a bill before the Washington state  assembly...not Congress.  The original draft included the part about the sheriff having the right to come into your home once a year to make sure you have the guns listed in the bill stored safely....it also lists guns that are banned from future purchases.  This leaked out, it got a lot of bad publicity, so they took the part about the "illegal search" out of the final bill.  Part of the bill, both the draft and current, includes registering your guns.

Quoting kailu1835:

But with 42 states currently not requiring any registration whatsoever, how will the government know whether or not someone owns a so-called "assault rifle"?  If someone is carrying a gun, well that's probably because they have a concealed carry permit, required for all guns that are carried on the person.  Those aren't going to be rifles, but pistols.  Hunting guns are not assault rifles, and the federal government does not require them to be registered at all, and neither do any of the states.  So again, how are the police going to know if you own rifles?  There's the issue of having a hunting license specific to rifles, which would obviously mean you own rifles, but hunting rifles are not considered assault weapons, and are exempt from every single state gun law in existence in this country (that I know of, and I've done some digging).

If this bill specifically states "assault weapons," well, that means guns that are capable of being fully automatic, and there are already very stringent laws in place regarding who can own them, the hoops you have to jump through to qualify, etc, so I don't see how this bill would be any different, except for the language regarding police coming into your home unannounced to "inspect" your assault rifle, but that was taken out, so how is this going to change anything in that regard?

Quoting grandmab125:

As in all of these gun bills, you have to register your guns.  They are also banning the so called assault rifles, restrictions on features, clips, whatever.  If you already own any of the guns that they are banning people from purchasing in the future, the county sheriff would have the legal right to check your home once a year to make sure you have it safely stored and secured.  Meanwhile he gets to take a look around and snoop at all of the other guns you have too.  This was in the original draft of the bill.

They got caught and exposed on the "sheriff searching your house once a year" part, and removed it from the final bill submitted for a vote.  I don't think it has been signed into law yet.

I am sure that any one who doesn't register their guns, and then gets asked for their registration when they are seen with a gun, will be facing very stiff fines, and perhaps jail time.  I think that is the case in all of the states with registration laws now. 

Quoting kailu1835:

grandma B

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Take away one right, it just makes it easier to take away others. Whats to say it becomes law that you can't have trans fats. high fructose corn syrup, high sodium and prepacked foods. Then the gestapo can periodically show up at your home to make sure you have only the allowed foods in your home. Sound ridiculous? Yes it does. Impossible? Not at all.  

Quoting Bethsunshine:

This is exactly right!! People think that this type of law won't affect them because they're not gun owners. What's to stop the police from barging in your house whenever they darn well feel like it

Quoting fireangel5:

How about tracking down illegals period. Treating  law abiding citizens  as criminals while illegals are given a pass is absurd.  Rights will slowly disappear if this is allowed to take place. Whether you are pro gun or not, this should worry you.

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting fireangel5:

I have zero issue with people registering their guns. I do however have an issue with police being abie to show up and check your guns. I'll be honest. Slapping these gang bangers with a fine for not registering their illegal guns is laughable tho

Quoting lga1965:

Here's how I feel....I think ALL guns should be registered. ALL of them. And if a registered gun is sold, the new owner has to register it and make it clear that THEY own it now. If you have nothing to hide, you won't mind registering your guns. The bad guys will be penalized if the gun they have is NOT registered, (in addition to being arrested for using their gun illegally) and how can that be bad? ..Its great.

I'd like to know how the police are going to track down the illegal, non-registered guns while they're busy violating people's 4th Amendment Rights.

gammie
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Quoting fireangel5:

Take away one right, it just makes it easier to take away others. Whats to say it becomes law that you can't have trans fats. high fructose corn syrup, high sodium and prepacked foods. Then the gestapo can periodically show up at your home to make sure you have only the allowed foods in your home. Sound ridiculous? Yes it does. Impossible? Not at all.  

Quoting Bethsunshine:

This is exactly right!! People think that this type of law won't affect them because they're not gun owners. What's to stop the police from barging in your house whenever they darn well feel like it

Quoting fireangel5:

How about tracking down illegals period. Treating  law abiding citizens  as criminals while illegals are given a pass is absurd.  Rights will slowly disappear if this is allowed to take place. Whether you are pro gun or not, this should worry you.

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting fireangel5:

I have zero issue with people registering their guns. I do however have an issue with police being abie to show up and check your guns. I'll be honest. Slapping these gang bangers with a fine for not registering their illegal guns is laughable tho

Quoting lga1965:

Here's how I feel....I think ALL guns should be registered. ALL of them. And if a registered gun is sold, the new owner has to register it and make it clear that THEY own it now. If you have nothing to hide, you won't mind registering your guns. The bad guys will be penalized if the gun they have is NOT registered, (in addition to being arrested for using their gun illegally) and how can that be bad? ..Its great.

I'd like to know how the police are going to track down the illegal, non-registered guns while they're busy violating people's 4th Amendment Rights.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Okay, so here is where I'm stuck.  Is this bill specifically only about those guns that are required to be registered by federal law?  If not, then what are they talking about?  Long guns (rifles)?  We currently have no registration for long guns in this state, so how would they know if someone owned one, outside of hunters with current tags?  People don't just carry long guns around.

I guess I'm having a difficult time understanding how they would ever hope to enforce registration on guns already owned, or those sold between private parties both currently and in the future.

Quoting grandmab125:

This article is about a bill before the Washington state  assembly...not Congress.  The original draft included the part about the sheriff having the right to come into your home once a year to make sure you have the guns listed in the bill stored safely....it also lists guns that are banned from future purchases.  This leaked out, it got a lot of bad publicity, so they took the part about the "illegal search" out of the final bill.  Part of the bill, both the draft and current, includes registering your guns.

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting kailu1835:

babiesbabybaby development

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:47 PM

So, I take it you live in WA state?  I posted an article on this in News and Politics, "Another State's Anti-Gun Law Proposed:  Only This One Goes Even Further".  In it there is a link to the original draft, which had the "sheriff" thing in it, and the bill they are about to vote on.  I don't know anything about the different types of guns, but you can read the bill, and I'm sure you'll be able to figure out if any of the ones you have will be affected.  I immagine all guns will be required to be registered....that's what all of these anti-gun zealot states are doing.

Quoting kailu1835:

Okay, so here is where I'm stuck.  Is this bill specifically only about those guns that are required to be registered by federal law?  If not, then what are they talking about?  Long guns (rifles)?  We currently have no registration for long guns in this state, so how would they know if someone owned one, outside of hunters with current tags?  People don't just carry long guns around.

I guess I'm having a difficult time understanding how they would ever hope to enforce registration on guns already owned, or those sold between private parties both currently and in the future.

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting grandmab125:

Quoting kailu1835:

grandma B

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)