Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poll

Question: How old is too old to play on the swings?

Options:

Once you're an adult you need to leave the swings for the kids.

I think the teenage years are when you should stop playing on the playground

You're never too old to play :-)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 150

View Results

I was at the park yesterday with my kids. I will admit to being a big kid, so when I saw an open swing I snagged it,lol. So here I am swinging and having fun with the kids when this lady walks up with her kid.

Now before I get a chance to slow down or say anything, she gives me a dirty look and asks, "Aren't you a little old to be on the swings? All of my good will evaporated right on the spot. I responded "Nope, are you?" She said, "Yes I am." "The swings are for children, not adults." Me with a smile "Well I guess we'll have to disagree." Then, "Would your daughter like a turn?" "I'm getting off right now." I hopped off and promptly climbed the slide to play with my kids while she looked at me like I had three heads,lol.

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Exactly ... but if I saw a child as much as walking towards the swings, I would be off them.  I think that's the issue.  A little kid might look over and say "Mom, I want to go on the swings, but none are open".  They nmight not walk over ... they might be waiting for a spare swing to head over to them.  If a parent is taking up a swing, the child might not walk over to it.

Basically, if the park was crowded, I probably would stay off them ... just as I try and make sure my kids don't use them too long so that others get a turn. 

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I always swing next to my kids as long as there are no other children waiting to swing on them.

I do think the park and park equipment is for the children, but I see no issue with using them if a child isn't on them or waiting to use them.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I play at the park with mine, every chance I get

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I would have kept swinging. What a B*tch that mom was!

BTW:I LOVE to swing! and I will have races with the kids who can try and flip over the bar LOL

eema.gray
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I'd swing.  There's never a time to stop.  :-)

I still remember this one time about 3 years ago.  our complex has a half destroyed playground set - rings and a swing on one end, monkey bars down the middle, and a baby swing and regular swing on the other end.  The swing next to the rings was taken down several years ago.  So I was pregnant with middle child, completely overwhelmed with oldest child and husband, and went outside and sat on the one regular swing still on the set.  Along comes a young girl, 8 to 10 years old probably, along with 2 younger kids.  Oldest marches up to my teary pregnant self and asks me to put the baby in the baby swing.  Fine.  i do it.  Not very gracefully but did help her.  Sit down again.  She swings the baby for a few minutes, marches up to me again and says "can you get up?  My sister wants to swing."  It's embaressing to admit that I came "this close" to strangling her but I didn't say anything and left.  Hormones are a "B"  Probably should have left when they showed up in the first place but oh well.  My kids and I go to local parks most of the time now.  The equipment works and kids tend to be nicer to each other and any adults around.

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:12 PM
I love playing with my kids, and that includes swinging with them. My oldest likes to see who can swing higher. :D
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this
As long as there are no kids waiting, I'll swing or whatever. Years ago, when I was a teenager, my mom and dad bought my younger sisters (5, 7, & 8 years younger) kites. Mom said she thought I was too old for a kite. I replied 'you're never too old to fly a kite'. I still believe that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:13 PM

well of course- the kids get first pick. if the park is crwoded- the kids get first dibs. But I have been at parks in later afternoon (nap time for most kids and PERFECT! timing for parks) and the park is empty- and then I swing away!

Quoting pansyprincess:

Exactly ... but if I saw a child as much as walking towards the swings, I would be off them.  I think that's the issue.  A little kid might look over and say "Mom, I want to go on the swings, but none are open".  They nmight not walk over ... they might be waiting for a spare swing to head over to them.  If a parent is taking up a swing, the child might not walk over to it.

Basically, if the park was crowded, I probably would stay off them ... just as I try and make sure my kids don't use them too long so that others get a turn. 

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I always swing next to my kids as long as there are no other children waiting to swing on them.

I do think the park and park equipment is for the children, but I see no issue with using them if a child isn't on them or waiting to use them.

panther79
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:14 PM

good for you!!!!

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Exactly. I don't get on them when it's crowded.

Quoting pansyprincess:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I like you ;-)

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I always play with my kids at the playground... That includes swinging with them :-)

I also clim the monkey bars with them, and play hide and seek through the tunnels :-)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured