Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poll

Question: How old is too old to play on the swings?

Options:

Once you're an adult you need to leave the swings for the kids.

I think the teenage years are when you should stop playing on the playground

You're never too old to play :-)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 150

View Results

I was at the park yesterday with my kids. I will admit to being a big kid, so when I saw an open swing I snagged it,lol. So here I am swinging and having fun with the kids when this lady walks up with her kid.

Now before I get a chance to slow down or say anything, she gives me a dirty look and asks, "Aren't you a little old to be on the swings? All of my good will evaporated right on the spot. I responded "Nope, are you?" She said, "Yes I am." "The swings are for children, not adults." Me with a smile "Well I guess we'll have to disagree." Then, "Would your daughter like a turn?" "I'm getting off right now." I hopped off and promptly climbed the slide to play with my kids while she looked at me like I had three heads,lol.

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Replies (111-118):
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:46 AM

My sister was terrible about spinning me. I swear she was a closet sadist,lol!

Quoting wickedfiress:

Those are the worst! I don't like spinning in circles!

Quoting paganbaby:

I only like the tire swings that lay flat like this.

Not the up and down ones. I don't fit LOL

Quoting wickedfiress:

The swings are the best part!

But I won't get on the tire swing.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Drunk adults at the park? Oh hell no!

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

If the park isn't loaded with kids, go for it! What ticks me off is when there are dozens of kids and there are drunk adults using all of the swings! Happened to us once, though. I don't see a problem with an adult using the swings as long as they aren't hogging them from the kids.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

TheLadyAmalthea
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Yeah, it was some sort of family reunion or party of some sort. I was pretty peeved. We didn't stay long.

Quoting paganbaby:

Drunk adults at the park? Oh hell no!

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

If the park isn't loaded with kids, go for it! What ticks me off is when there are dozens of kids and there are drunk adults using all of the swings! Happened to us once, though. I don't see a problem with an adult using the swings as long as they aren't hogging them from the kids.

jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:03 AM
I would have looked at her and said "my mommy told me not to talk to strangers" then let her kid get on.

Some people really need to get over themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrogSalad
by Sooze on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:01 AM

IDK.  I used to get car sick as a kid.  Then for about 15 years, I was fine.  Sometime in my late 20s it came back with a vengeance.  Certain video games, tv shows and movies with shaky camera work, amusement park rides, even just sitting on a swing and slowly rocking back and forth will trigger it.  It's annoying but manageable.

Quoting paganbaby:

What is up with that?? Does it come with age or something?

Quoting FrogSalad:

If I didn't suffer from motion sickness, I'd still play on the swings.  I see lots of adults at the park on the swings next to their kids. 

People (like the lady who chastised you) are weird.

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

TerriAnne2606
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM

She's obviously got a stick up her you know what.  

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Count me in the group too.  I love to swing but as I've gotten older the motion sickness has taken over and I can't swing anymore.  Kind of pisses me off actually.  But I will still slide down the slides ;)

Quoting FrogSalad:

So I'm not the only one! 

Quoting lizzielouaf:

If I didn't get wicked motion sickness I would be on the swings. I always go down the slides and stuff. Some people just aren't happy unless they're making someone feel bad.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM

For me, a certain part of it has been with me since childhood.  I can remember being 8 yo and getting sick from spinning round and round on my best friend's tire swing.  From that moment I've never been able to do a merry-go-round or anything that spins.  I can't read in a moving vehicle.  I'm fine on a boat though even if it's swaying back and forth (not reading but just being on it).  It's like if my body is moving I have to be able to see my horizon.

At the same time, as I've gotten older, I'm able to do less and less.  At some point in adulthood I lost my ability to do swings and trampolines.  I used to be able to do any kind of roller coaster.  I now can still do a lot of them but there are some that I can't anymore.  Roller coasters in the dark, definitely not (because I can't see my movement).

Most of the time I actually love getting older but sometimes it does suck.

Quoting paganbaby:

What is up with that?? Does it come with age or something?

Quoting FrogSalad:

If I didn't suffer from motion sickness, I'd still play on the swings.  I see lots of adults at the park on the swings next to their kids. 

People (like the lady who chastised you) are weird.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured