Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sniper Posts Pic of Palestinian Child in Crosshairs

Posted by   + Show Post

JERUSALEM - A photo posted online by an Israeli soldier showing a child in the crosshairs of a rifle scope has created a firestorm on the internet, drawing widespread criticism.

The photo was reportedly posted on Jan. 25 by Mor Ostrovski, 20, a member of an Israeli sniper unit. It shows crosshairs zeroed in on the back of the head of what appears to be a Palestinian boy in a village. The photo has since been taken down and Ostrovski's account has been deactivated.

"There are no other images to suggest that the photographer actually fired at the person in the image in this case," wrote Palestinian activist Ali Abuminah who runs the site Electronic Intifada and drew much of the attention to the photo. "The image is simply tasteless and dehumanizing. It embodies the idea that Palestinian children are targets."

Before the account was taken down, Abuminah posted other photos from Ostrovski's account that showed him in his olive green uniform holding a variety of weapons, including a sniper rifle.

Eytan Buchman, a spokesman for the Israel Defense Forces, told ABC News that Ostrovski told his commander on Saturday that he had not taken the photo himself but that he'd taken it off the internet. No disciplinary action will be taken.

Full article here.

Thoughts?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
chloedee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 12hellokitty:

If the images is tastelessand dehumanizing why has ABC and Yahoo and the OP posted such an offensive picture?  Palestinians regularly place children in danger for propaganda. 

Because it's important to see the image in order to discuss and debate it? The pictures of what went on at Abu Ghraib were disgusting and dehumanizing too, but it's the media's job to report these things.

Do you feel the photo is okay? Two wrongs make a right?

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Quoting 12hellokitty:

If the images is tastelessand dehumanizing why has ABC and Yahoo and the OP posted such an offensive picture?  Palestinians regularly place children in danger for propaganda. 

Do you feel the image is tasteless and dehumanizing?

Your premise is that this child may have been placed there purposefully? Does the sniper hold zero responsibility for his actions regardless of whether the child was placed in this position?

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:54 PM
5 moms liked this

It is a common view, enculturated in Israeli children as they grow up...to see the Palestinian as vermin - less than human, a pestilence perpetually causing trouble for the poor put-upon Chosen People. 

That rifle was funded by our tax dollars. 

tscritch
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:59 PM

F'ed up!!!!

ashellbell
by shellbark on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this
It's people who think like you that keep this war going. Thanks for contributing to the problem, not the solution.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Pretty much sums up Israel's opinion of Palestinians.  It is tragic and awful, but not surprising.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I saw this last night.

I had to look twice.  My heart skipped a beat.  Then I read the article was glad to hear this child was not actually killed.

Poor taste, lack of common sense and just twisted.

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh please, the solider was disciplined which is more then can be said for Palestinians whose violenceextends beyond the taking of a picture.  And my comment is not contributing to the problem, but people who refuse to acknowledge the violence coming from Palestinians are.

Quoting ashellbell:

It's people who think like you that keep this war going. Thanks for contributing to the problem, not the solution.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

LuvmyAiden
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I can see the point he was likely trying to make but it wasn't prudent to take or post the pic. I think it is hard for those of us raised here to understand how these people live and how they feel after being raised in a constant war. To say they are probably affected is an understatement.

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I cannot tell clearly if that is a child or a teen or young adult.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)