Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Overdose Deaths Continue to Climb

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:58 PM
  • 16 Replies

Drug overdose deaths in the United States increased for the 11th consecutive year in 2010, rising 3.6 percent from 2009, federal officials reported Tuesday. There were 38,329 drug overdose deaths in 2010. Prescription drugs were involved in more than half of all overdoses, with 22,134 deaths from them, up 6 percent from 2009. Of those deaths, opioids, like oxycodone and morphine, were involved in an overwhelming majority, with 16,651 deaths in 2010, up 7 percent from 2009. Deaths from prescription drug overdoses quadrupled from 1999 to 2010.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/us/overdose-deaths-continue-to-climb.html?_r=0

Thoughts?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lga1965
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:02 PM

That is so sad. I am just at a loss as to why anyone would take any drugs at all. Obviously, it can be deadly.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

This is indeed a huge problem.

It is quite concerning, disheartening.

What can be done........therein lies the issue.  Many people need certain medications, for various reasons, and seeing how so many are indeed habit forming, it is dangerous and hard to control.

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Some deaths are due to lack of care when prescribing and sometimes it is actually murder by overdose. There was a string of murder charges last year on doctors.

I really hate to see people downward spiral but it seems to me that prohibition is not working either.

Perhaps if it were easier to get non-drug help for issues such as pain and mental health it would be great strides in stopping this.

Quoting lga1965:

That is so sad. I am just at a loss as to why anyone would take any drugs at all. Obviously, it can be deadly.

Meghan6391
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:10 PM

the other day i had to take my new born to the er b.c he was having breathing problems. they gave him an inhailer and when i took it to get the script filled the guy at the pharmacy freaked out on how high the dr had written for such a small child. he wouldnt give it to me till he had it situated (which was fine by me) and the hospital had accidently added the wrong amt on the script... i was at awe and thankful that the pharmacist did such a great job

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:12 PM

It is really great when the pharmacist overlooks the prescription and makes sure it doesn't conflict or is the correct does. I have one who is really good about that too. It seems though not all of them are.

Quoting Meghan6391:

the other day i had to take my new born to the er b.c he was having breathing problems. they gave him an inhailer and when i took it to get the script filled the guy at the pharmacy freaked out on how high the dr had written for such a small child. he wouldnt give it to me till he had it situated (which was fine by me) and the hospital had accidently added the wrong amt on the script... i was at awe and thankful that the pharmacist did such a great job

Meghan6391
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM

its a scary thing 

Quoting stormcris:

It is really great when the pharmacist overlooks the prescription and makes sure it doesn't conflict or is the correct does. I have one who is really good about that too. It seems though not all of them are.

Quoting Meghan6391:

LuvmyAiden
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Shouldn't we be calling to have them banned? Isn't there a better way to treat people? Oh wait, some are helped by these same drugs, right? People make bad choices. They suffer from those choices. Some of these were suicides I'm sure, others accidental. Doesn't change that someone made a stupid choice. There isn't much to be done IMO, people will ALWWAYS make stupid choices. The war on drugs has done NO good with street drugs and pharma addiction is rising, both are VERY lucrative on the black market because of restrictive laws. Legalize. Amsterdam has less issues with this and it's all legal. The idiots will off themselves and the normal folks will lose cusiosity quickly. Taboo=people want it. Normal=people don't really care and pass it up. These things seem so simple but politics makes it so complicated.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:21 PM
3 moms liked this

But weed is dangerous and needs to stay illegal. smdh

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting lga1965:

Why? If you've never dealt with chronic, severe pain then I don't know what to tell you. I wish to hell I didn't have to deal with it but meds can make life tolerable for some people. The op is why I'm a patient and advocate for cannabis, zero od's or direct deaths in recorded history and less side effects than most rx and otc meds.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Friday:

Quoting lga1965:

Why? If you've never dealt with chronic, severe pain then I don't know what to tell you. I wish to hell I didn't have to deal with it but meds can make life tolerable for some people. The op is why I'm a patient and advocate for cannabis, zero od's or direct deaths in recorded history and less side effects than most rx and otc meds.

This this this this X 1,000

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)