Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

PREGNANT TEEN WINS ABORTION LAWSUIT AGAINST PARENTS

Posted by   + Show Post

Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

pregnant teen who sued her parents, claiming they were coercing her to have an abortion, will be able to give birth to her baby.

Attorneys representing the 16-year-old girl were granted a long-term injunction against the girl's parents in Texas family court on Monday, according to court documents.

The teen is 10 weeks pregnant and the injunction will last for the duration of her pregnancy.

As part of the order, the girl will be able to use her car to go to school, work and medical appointments. Her parents had taken away the use of the car as part of their effort to force an abortion, court papers stated.

The teen's parents will be liable for half of the hospital bill when she gives birth, unless she is married to the baby's 16-year-old father.

"We are extremely happy with the judge's decision today and we are very proud of our teenage client for being strong enough to stand against her parents to save her unborn child's life," Greg Terra, president of the Texas Center for Defense of Life, said in a blog post on the group's website.

Attorneys filed a lawsuit on the teen's behalf earlier this month arguing that her parents "are violating her federal constitutional rights to carry her child to term by coercing her to have an abortion with both verbal and physical threats and harassment."

The teen, identified in the lawsuit only as R.E.K. since she is a minor, was "beside herself" when she called the center for help, her lawyer Stephen Casey told ABCNews.com last week. The group claims it has previously represented teens in similar situations and won their cases.

"These girls are in a bind, particularly in a situation where their parents are forcing them to do something they don't want to do," Casey said. "Regardless of the [situation], that's her parents and she should expect support from them in this situation, not resentment and anger."

When the pregnancy was confirmed, the teenager's father allegedly "became extremely angry, was insistent that R.E.K. was not having the baby, and that the decision was not up to her, according to the lawsuit. He stated he was going to take her to have an abortion and that the decision was his, end of story."

The teen claimed in the lawsuit that her parents had taken away her phone, pulled her out of school, forced her to get two jobs and took away her car in an effort to "make her miserable so that she would give in to the coercion and have the abortion."'

Also Read
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Replies (111-120):
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Considering that one of her big complaints is that they "forced" her to get a job, it's not likely she was earning money before this. Highly doubtful that she paid for the car in any way.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

You can't say that.  My son will have his own car and be able to pay for it himself before he is 16. Also will be expected to pay for all his insurance 100% in order to get his drivers license.  It is called saving your money. 

Quoting Arroree:

Nowhere does it state that she paid for the car, that would make it her parents car and they let her use it.  Considering her age there's no way she's had a job long enough to fully pay for a car and insurance by herself.  She can take a city bus to the dr's appts and the school bus to school, like every other kid her age who needs to get around and don't have a parents car to use.

The court has no right to force a parent to allow their child to use a parent owned automobile, they way overstepped on that part of the order.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

It was HER car and she needed it to get to dtr's appts and school.  Her parents wouldn't allow her to go to school and school is NOT a priveledge!!! 

Quoting AMBG825:

I like how the judge reinforced the idea that there is no personal responsibility.

A car is a privelege not a right. A phone is a privelege and not a right.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Or even know how. 

Quoting Arroree:

They do it the same way my sister did. At 15 she was pregnant, filed for legal emancipation making her legally an adult, got a job, made the babys father pitch in money, filed for gov aid to cover the medical costs and by the time the baby was born they lived on their own both in school and working and supporting themselves and their child. It CAN be done, the teen just has to be willing to put out the effort to do it.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Can't live on your own at 16.  By law no one can rent to anyone under 18 so how exactly do you propose she does this?

Quoting Ktina11:

100 % of the responsibility would be living on her own and paying all medical costs herself. She is not accepting full responsibility. She is making a grown up decision, but the judge should have required her to accept the grown up consequences. Mom and dad should not have to foot the bill for anything for the teen or the grandchild. What a bad precence to set.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:31 PM

They were for all intents and purposes doing everyting in their power to force her to abort.  They did everything besides hold her down and do it.  I am aware who called because her parents went after them too.  I read the story.

Quoting punky3175:

No they were not 'forcing' her to abort. If they were they could have tried the medically induced abortion rather than a surgical one. They were encouraging her to (no, I don't agree with their methods.) And she wasn't even the one who sought help. It was the baby's father's parents.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Well the law does.  The law also states you can't force anyone to have an abortion and they were clearly doing this.  They were stopped by the courts and the girl is now safe to have her child.

Quoting punky3175:

So you get to decide who is parenting 'wrong'? Who gets to decide if your parenting style is acceptable?

Quoting fullxbusymom:

In a case such as this if I was behaving like those parents were.  Yup I do.

Quoting punky3175:

I'm not. She's a 16 yr old girl with car and phone provided. She's currently only 10 weeks pregnant which means she felt comfortable enough with her parents to tell them probably as soon as she found out. They reacted very badly to the news and were doing what they felt was in the best interests of their child. She didn't like the consequences they laid out and went above them to an outside organization for help. The outside organization saw a way to take a strike at abortion and used this girl for those purposes. This has set a VERY dangerous precedent.

Her parents were wrong for trying to 'force' her to abort. But I think they were trying to show her how hard it is to be a mom and adult. The court destroyed that lesson and has now opened the door for others to follow.

Do you want the court or law telling you how to raise your children?

Quoting fullxbusymom:

I am betting it was severely damaged before it ever got to this point.

punky3175
by Punky on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Ok I was about to post: 'only if someone else tells her to, or does it for her' but then I realized this is a 16 year old girl. I have a 16 year old at home and she is nowhere NEAR ready to be a mother. Thankfully she is not interested in boys or sex or anything.

I do think this girl was used by her boyfriend's parents and this organization to make a stance against abortion. Hopefully her relationship with her parents isn't forever destroyed.

The ones I'm really angry with are the court. This really does set a very dangerous precedent.

Quoting Arroree:

Yep. I'm betting the next big news story to come out about this will be after the baby's born and she's suing the parents to pay for childcare, diapers, clothes etc.

Quoting GLWerth:

I'll bet she'll expect mom and dad to provide financial support and free babysitting for this child too. From everything I've read, she sounds as if she's been convinced that she's entitled to it all.

Quoting punky3175:

I'm not. She's a 16 yr old girl with car and phone provided. She's currently only 10 weeks pregnant which means she felt comfortable enough with her parents to tell them probably as soon as she found out. They reacted very badly to the news and were doing what they felt was in the best interests of their child. She didn't like the consequences they laid out and went above them to an outside organization for help. The outside organization saw a way to take a strike at abortion and used this girl for those purposes. This has set a VERY dangerous precedent.

Her parents were wrong for trying to 'force' her to abort. But I think they were trying to show her how hard it is to be a mom and adult. The court destroyed that lesson and has now opened the door for others to follow.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Still strongly disagree with you.

Quoting punky3175:

I saw it and it has nothing to do with our discussion except it furthers my belief that she did not, in fact, want to take 100% responsibility for her actions. Not only did she not want to take care of herself and child, she had to rely on someone else to make the calls for her and then be contacted.

So what Woodbabe posted supports what I've been saying from the beginning.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Thanks can you also find a few posts up where she posted to me and post this again there so she sees it.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Dhe didn't want to be emancipated, she just wanted them to stop pressuring her to have the abortion.

http://pix11.com/2013/02/19/teen-wins-lawsuit-against-parents-who-wanted-abortion/#axzz2LSmH2NG4

The lawyers were first contacted by the boy’s mother, who said that the girl’s parents were threatening both teens, according to Casey, who said the center then contacted the girl and offered their services gratis.

Legal experts said that no one can force anyone, minor or not, to undergo an abortion. Monday’s legal action was intended, the girl’s lawyer said, to stop the parents from trying to influence their daughter to undergo the procedure.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

No I don't think so.  She called a number and they felt it was in her best interests to bring it before the courts, that is right in the article.  She was simply looking for help as to how to be able to keep her baby.  You know people with experience in this informed her as to what was best and what avenues should be taken.

Quoting punky3175:

That's your assumption.

punky3175
by Punky on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Damn you and your critical thinking. ;-)

Quoting Arroree:

Considering that one of her big complaints is that they "forced" her to get a job, it's not likely she was earning money before this. Highly doubtful that she paid for the car in any way.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

You can't say that.  My son will have his own car and be able to pay for it himself before he is 16. Also will be expected to pay for all his insurance 100% in order to get his drivers license.  It is called saving your money. 

Quoting Arroree:

Nowhere does it state that she paid for the car, that would make it her parents car and they let her use it.  Considering her age there's no way she's had a job long enough to fully pay for a car and insurance by herself.  She can take a city bus to the dr's appts and the school bus to school, like every other kid her age who needs to get around and don't have a parents car to use.

The court has no right to force a parent to allow their child to use a parent owned automobile, they way overstepped on that part of the order.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

It was HER car and she needed it to get to dtr's appts and school.  Her parents wouldn't allow her to go to school and school is NOT a priveledge!!! 

Quoting AMBG825:

I like how the judge reinforced the idea that there is no personal responsibility.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:32 PM

They forced her out of school and to get two jobs.  Far different and my kids don't have jobs and never have as you can't work here under 16yrs old.  They still have the money.

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting AMBG825:

punky3175
by Punky on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Think I care? You have yet to provide anything that shows she was trying to take '100% responsibility.' You are letting emotion drive your thought process while I'm not emotional about it at all. You want to paint the parents as mean evil people while I can see and understand why they would do the things they did. I may not agree with them but it's not my job to tell someone else how to raise their child.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Still strongly disagree with you.

Quoting punky3175:

I saw it and it has nothing to do with our discussion except it furthers my belief that she did not, in fact, want to take 100% responsibility for her actions. Not only did she not want to take care of herself and child, she had to rely on someone else to make the calls for her and then be contacted.

So what Woodbabe posted supports what I've been saying from the beginning.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Thanks can you also find a few posts up where she posted to me and post this again there so she sees it.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Dhe didn't want to be emancipated, she just wanted them to stop pressuring her to have the abortion.

http://pix11.com/2013/02/19/teen-wins-lawsuit-against-parents-who-wanted-abortion/#axzz2LSmH2NG4

The lawyers were first contacted by the boy’s mother, who said that the girl’s parents were threatening both teens, according to Casey, who said the center then contacted the girl and offered their services gratis.

Legal experts said that no one can force anyone, minor or not, to undergo an abortion. Monday’s legal action was intended, the girl’s lawyer said, to stop the parents from trying to influence their daughter to undergo the procedure.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

No I don't think so.  She called a number and they felt it was in her best interests to bring it before the courts, that is right in the article.  She was simply looking for help as to how to be able to keep her baby.  You know people with experience in this informed her as to what was best and what avenues should be taken.

Quoting punky3175:

That's your assumption.

punky3175
by Punky on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Ever think they were trying to show her how hard it was going to be with no support?

Quoting fullxbusymom:

They were for all intents and purposes doing everyting in their power to force her to abort.  They did everything besides hold her down and do it.  I am aware who called because her parents went after them too.  I read the story.

Quoting punky3175:

No they were not 'forcing' her to abort. If they were they could have tried the medically induced abortion rather than a surgical one. They were encouraging her to (no, I don't agree with their methods.) And she wasn't even the one who sought help. It was the baby's father's parents.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Well the law does.  The law also states you can't force anyone to have an abortion and they were clearly doing this.  They were stopped by the courts and the girl is now safe to have her child.

Quoting punky3175:

So you get to decide who is parenting 'wrong'? Who gets to decide if your parenting style is acceptable?

Quoting fullxbusymom:

In a case such as this if I was behaving like those parents were.  Yup I do.

Quoting punky3175:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:48 PM
I dont know about this. With me I would help my child. Children make dumb mistakes. Helping them help themselves seems smarter. Lead a fish to water, show them how to fix what they did. Teach them to right their wrong. Why rip the rug out and say you screwed up now figure it out on your own. Thats how you get welfare recipients. And how did she get the money to get a lawyer? How did she get the car and phone. Mom and Dad seem to have given her everything probably allowing her tons of freedom to screw up. Now punishing her cause they didnt do it right the first time. Plus isnt it illegal to not have your child in school? How can they just pull her out like that. Isnt her education important to them? So she doesnt become a statistic.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)