Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

PREGNANT TEEN WINS ABORTION LAWSUIT AGAINST PARENTS

Posted by   + Show Post

Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

pregnant teen who sued her parents, claiming they were coercing her to have an abortion, will be able to give birth to her baby.

Attorneys representing the 16-year-old girl were granted a long-term injunction against the girl's parents in Texas family court on Monday, according to court documents.

The teen is 10 weeks pregnant and the injunction will last for the duration of her pregnancy.

As part of the order, the girl will be able to use her car to go to school, work and medical appointments. Her parents had taken away the use of the car as part of their effort to force an abortion, court papers stated.

The teen's parents will be liable for half of the hospital bill when she gives birth, unless she is married to the baby's 16-year-old father.

"We are extremely happy with the judge's decision today and we are very proud of our teenage client for being strong enough to stand against her parents to save her unborn child's life," Greg Terra, president of the Texas Center for Defense of Life, said in a blog post on the group's website.

Attorneys filed a lawsuit on the teen's behalf earlier this month arguing that her parents "are violating her federal constitutional rights to carry her child to term by coercing her to have an abortion with both verbal and physical threats and harassment."

The teen, identified in the lawsuit only as R.E.K. since she is a minor, was "beside herself" when she called the center for help, her lawyer Stephen Casey told ABCNews.com last week. The group claims it has previously represented teens in similar situations and won their cases.

"These girls are in a bind, particularly in a situation where their parents are forcing them to do something they don't want to do," Casey said. "Regardless of the [situation], that's her parents and she should expect support from them in this situation, not resentment and anger."

When the pregnancy was confirmed, the teenager's father allegedly "became extremely angry, was insistent that R.E.K. was not having the baby, and that the decision was not up to her, according to the lawsuit. He stated he was going to take her to have an abortion and that the decision was his, end of story."

The teen claimed in the lawsuit that her parents had taken away her phone, pulled her out of school, forced her to get two jobs and took away her car in an effort to "make her miserable so that she would give in to the coercion and have the abortion."'

Also Read
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Replies (121-130):
Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I can guarantee that the car is not in her name.  In the state of Texas, you can not be on a car title until you are 18.  You also can not have insurance soley in your name. So even if she did in fact pay for it, the financial responsibility of it still falls to her parents. And if my teenage child was making the same poor choices that this girl has made, then yes, I would absolutely not allow her access to it.  Because if she can't be trusted not to be wreckless with her body, she can not be trusted to handle the responsibility of driving.  And I say that, to say this. No matter WHAT choice she made, abortion adoption or keeping the kid, if it was my daughter, she would no longer have a car, until she could prove that she could earn back my trust in her ability to make wise choices.  The same goes for my son if he were to get someone pregnant. 

Quoting fullxbusymom:

You don't know that she didn't pay for her own car with her own dollars!!  She is also getting her medical care by herself by making her own appts. and getting there herself.  I am not going to argue the phone, however the rest yes I will.  She has every right to argue that her parents have ripped her out of school, forced her to get two jobs and refuse to allow her, her basic freedoms. 

No one has said anything at all about getting her on teen mom. 

Quoting talia-mom:

Taking 100% responsibility would be getting her own car paid for by her own dollars, getting her medical care for herself and her child and buying and paying for her own phone without whining her parents weren't it to control her.

This isn't going to get her on teen mom.  

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Wow she is still a kid and is taking 100% responsibility for herself and her unborn child.  She is far from acting spoiled!!  She is simply asking to be able to carry her baby to term and go to school!!  How is that not taking responsibility or being a spoiled brat??

She simply wants her car to go to school and dtrs appts. I think what she is asking is completely reasonable and mature beyond her years.

Quoting talia-mom:

Actually they didn't.  They are allowing it for limited uses.   No right to a car for ths girl or anyone was established.

She is a spoiled little brat who doesn't want the reality of what she put herself into.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Well the fact of matter is the courts disagree with you in this case as they have stated she is to be able to have her car. 

Quoting talia-mom:

There is no right to a car.   None.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

You nor I know the answer to that.  Can only take a bus if there is one offered.  Where I live we don't have public transportation so there would be no way to get to a dtr's appt. without a car.  So yes a car would be a right not a privilege in this situation.

Quoting AMBG825:

who paid for it? Who is insuring it?

I agree with you on the school. She can take the bus. A car is not a right.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

It was HER car and she needed it to get to dtr's appts and school.  Her parents wouldn't allow her to go to school and school is NOT a priveledge!!! 

Quoting AMBG825:

I like how the judge reinforced the idea that there is no personal responsibility.

A car is a privelege not a right. A phone is a privelege and not a right.

GoddessNDaRuff
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM
In texas it would not have been granted. Aside from proving you can care for yourself you have to prove there is no one would can provide for you. The parents did a good job of proving they are idiots who are in charge so emancipation was off the table before she spoke to a lawyer.

Quoting punky3175:

Emancipation. She wanted to sue? Why not sue for emancipation to become a legally recognized adult? That would show she really did want to take FULL responsibility.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Can't live on your own at 16.  By law no one can rent to anyone under 18 so how exactly do you propose she does this?

Quoting Ktina11:

100 % of the responsibility would be living on her own and paying all medical costs herself. She is not accepting full responsibility. She is making a grown up decision, but the judge should have required her to accept the grown up consequences. Mom and dad should not have to foot the bill for anything for the teen or the grandchild. What a bad precence to set.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Wow she is still a kid and is taking 100% responsibility for herself and her unborn child.  She is far from acting spoiled!!  She is simply asking to be able to carry her baby to term and go to school!!  How is that not taking responsibility or being a spoiled brat??

She simply wants her car to go to school and dtrs appts. I think what she is asking is completely reasonable and mature beyond her years.

Quoting talia-mom:

Actually they didn't.  They are allowing it for limited uses.   No right to a car for ths girl or anyone was established.

She is a spoiled little brat who doesn't want the reality of what she put herself into.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Well the fact of matter is the courts disagree with you in this case as they have stated she is to be able to have her car. 

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

You nor I know the answer to that.  Can only take a bus if there is one offered.  Where I live we don't have public transportation so there would be no way to get to a dtr's appt. without a car.  So yes a car would be a right not a privilege in this situation.

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

It was HER car and she needed it to get to dtr's appts and school.  Her parents wouldn't allow her to go to school and school is NOT a priveledge!!! 

Quoting AMBG825:

I like how the judge reinforced the idea that there is no personal responsibility.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoddessNDaRuff
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:26 PM
I wish i had the other article. The girl hadn't lived with her parents in months, had one job already and was living with her grandparents who told the parents she was pregnant. The relationship was likely fractured in the first place and now is destroyed.

Quoting punky3175:

I'm not. She's a 16 yr old girl with car and phone provided. She's currently only 10 weeks pregnant which means she felt comfortable enough with her parents to tell them probably as soon as she found out. They reacted very badly to the news and were doing what they felt was in the best interests of their child. She didn't like the consequences they laid out and went above them to an outside organization for help. The outside organization saw a way to take a strike at abortion and used this girl for those purposes. This has set a VERY dangerous precedent.

Her parents were wrong for trying to 'force' her to abort. But I think they were trying to show her how hard it is to be a mom and adult. The court destroyed that lesson and has now opened the door for others to follow.

Do you want the court or law telling you how to raise your children?

Quoting fullxbusymom:

I am betting it was severely damaged before it ever got to this point.

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:29 PM
2 moms liked this

This is how I feel about it, and it has nothing to do with whatever she chooses to do with the baby.  I think this judge just set a horrible precident, and I PRAY that parents remember this the next time the judge is up for re-election, and I hope they boot him out on his ass.  Because this ruling basically sends the message, "Hey kids! Go ahead and disregard what your parents tell you. If you fuck up, and they try to make you deal with consequinces, you can just sue them, and they will be forced to pay for your bad choices!"

She wants to be a 'mommy'? Fine, she can do it on her own dime.  If the doofus that impregnated her and his parents want this baby so much? Fine, marry her, move her into your house, and don't force the parents that think it is a horrible idea fund the mistake that you are okay with.  Boom.  Besides, if she thinks her parents are being so horrible, why would she even want them to help pay for this? That makes no sense to me.

punky3175
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Thank you for sharing that. It adds more to the story.

Quoting GoddessNDaRuff:

I wish i had the other article. The girl hadn't lived with her parents in months, had one job already and was living with her grandparents who told the parents she was pregnant. The relationship was likely fractured in the first place and now is destroyed.

Quoting punky3175:

I'm not. She's a 16 yr old girl with car and phone provided. She's currently only 10 weeks pregnant which means she felt comfortable enough with her parents to tell them probably as soon as she found out. They reacted very badly to the news and were doing what they felt was in the best interests of their child. She didn't like the consequences they laid out and went above them to an outside organization for help. The outside organization saw a way to take a strike at abortion and used this girl for those purposes. This has set a VERY dangerous precedent.

Her parents were wrong for trying to 'force' her to abort. But I think they were trying to show her how hard it is to be a mom and adult. The court destroyed that lesson and has now opened the door for others to follow.

Do you want the court or law telling you how to raise your children?

Quoting fullxbusymom:

I am betting it was severely damaged before it ever got to this point.

USBrit
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think that parents should force a daughter to have an abortion, just as I don't think that a teen's poor judgement should force her parents to support the child that she conceived. What would be wrong with adoption. AND if the teen is old enough to make a baby, keep a baby, then she should be old enought to support a baby WITHOUT MOM AND DAD

Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I understand what you are saying and I agree it is a crappy situation all around. Can you imagine life within that home after winning a court battle with your parents effectively sticking them wiith financial (and legal) responsibility for both you and this child they don't want? I cannot even begin to imagine the fracture of relationship this has created and will continue to be. Truthfully, she is thinking like a 16 yr old and even at 18 won't likely be able to afford to live on her own. I have personally always wondered in a situation like this where teen keeps baby but remains living in the home of their legal gaurdian....who is responsible for the baby? Where is the line? My sister (works in juvenile probation) swears adults are responsible...if so then what happens if 16 doesn't take care of said baby? I truly am curious how this will play out.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Although I agree however, the laws don't.  Since they still do not and won't consider her an adult till 18.  So she has no options other than to remain where she is, unless you feel her and her child would be better off on the streets.

Quoting Ktina11:

Honestly, that isn't her parents' problem but with emancipation required when making a decision such as this. If she is old enough to make a decision regarding the baby, she is old enough to figure things out on her own. Again, her parent's right should not be held dependent on the teens action. If we want our young people to make adult decisions, they need to be held to adult consequences.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Can't live on your own at 16.  By law no one can rent to anyone under 18 so how exactly do you propose she does this?

Quoting Ktina11:

100 % of the responsibility would be living on her own and paying all medical costs herself. She is not accepting full responsibility. She is making a grown up decision, but the judge should have required her to accept the grown up consequences. Mom and dad should not have to foot the bill for anything for the teen or the grandchild. What a bad precence to set.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting AMBG825:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:30 PM
I love this!!

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

This is how I feel about it, and it has nothing to do with whatever she chooses to do with the baby.  I think this judge just set a horrible precident, and I PRAY that parents remember this the next time the judge is up for re-election, and I hope they boot him out on his ass.  Because this ruling basically sends the message, "Hey kids! Go ahead and disregard what your parents tell you. If you fuck up, and they try to make you deal with consequinces, you can just sue them, and they will be forced to pay for your bad choices!"

She wants to be a 'mommy'? Fine, she can do it on her own dime.  If the doofus that impregnated her and his parents want this baby so much? Fine, marry her, move her into your house, and don't force the parents that think it is a horrible idea fund the mistake that you are okay with.  Boom.  Besides, if she thinks her parents are being so horrible, why would she even want them to help pay for this? That makes no sense to me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:35 PM

From what I have learned, it is all of the adults responsibility to make sure the child is cared for.  That is why some parents that are absolutely against their daughters having the child in their home, will call CPS and let them know that their daughter has this child, but the baby is not welcome in their home, so they are reporting because they will not be held responsible for the child.

Quoting Ktina11:

I understand what you are saying and I agree it is a crappy situation all around. Can you imagine life within that home after winning a court battle with your parents effectively sticking them wiith financial (and legal) responsibility for both you and this child they don't want? I cannot even begin to imagine the fracture of relationship this has created and will continue to be. Truthfully, she is thinking like a 16 yr old and even at 18 won't likely be able to afford to live on her own. I have personally always wondered in a situation like this where teen keeps baby but remains living in the home of their legal gaurdian....who is responsible for the baby? Where is the line? My sister (works in juvenile probation) swears adults are responsible...if so then what happens if 16 doesn't take care of said baby? I truly am curious how this will play out.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Although I agree however, the laws don't.  Since they still do not and won't consider her an adult till 18.  So she has no options other than to remain where she is, unless you feel her and her child would be better off on the streets.

Quoting Ktina11:

Honestly, that isn't her parents' problem but with emancipation required when making a decision such as this. If she is old enough to make a decision regarding the baby, she is old enough to figure things out on her own. Again, her parent's right should not be held dependent on the teens action. If we want our young people to make adult decisions, they need to be held to adult consequences.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting Ktina11:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting AMBG825:

angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I don't think she should be pushed into an abortion but I don't think the parents should be responsible for the resulting baby. Also since they are responsible for 1/2 the bills I think they should be allowed to sell the car to come up with some of the money. what the heck is going to happen once this baby is born? that's what I want to know.

It's Cassandra Cat! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN