Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

PREGNANT TEEN WINS ABORTION LAWSUIT AGAINST PARENTS

Posted by   + Show Post

Pregnant Teen Wins Abortion Battle

pregnant teen who sued her parents, claiming they were coercing her to have an abortion, will be able to give birth to her baby.

Attorneys representing the 16-year-old girl were granted a long-term injunction against the girl's parents in Texas family court on Monday, according to court documents.

The teen is 10 weeks pregnant and the injunction will last for the duration of her pregnancy.

As part of the order, the girl will be able to use her car to go to school, work and medical appointments. Her parents had taken away the use of the car as part of their effort to force an abortion, court papers stated.

The teen's parents will be liable for half of the hospital bill when she gives birth, unless she is married to the baby's 16-year-old father.

"We are extremely happy with the judge's decision today and we are very proud of our teenage client for being strong enough to stand against her parents to save her unborn child's life," Greg Terra, president of the Texas Center for Defense of Life, said in a blog post on the group's website.

Attorneys filed a lawsuit on the teen's behalf earlier this month arguing that her parents "are violating her federal constitutional rights to carry her child to term by coercing her to have an abortion with both verbal and physical threats and harassment."

The teen, identified in the lawsuit only as R.E.K. since she is a minor, was "beside herself" when she called the center for help, her lawyer Stephen Casey told ABCNews.com last week. The group claims it has previously represented teens in similar situations and won their cases.

"These girls are in a bind, particularly in a situation where their parents are forcing them to do something they don't want to do," Casey said. "Regardless of the [situation], that's her parents and she should expect support from them in this situation, not resentment and anger."

When the pregnancy was confirmed, the teenager's father allegedly "became extremely angry, was insistent that R.E.K. was not having the baby, and that the decision was not up to her, according to the lawsuit. He stated he was going to take her to have an abortion and that the decision was his, end of story."

The teen claimed in the lawsuit that her parents had taken away her phone, pulled her out of school, forced her to get two jobs and took away her car in an effort to "make her miserable so that she would give in to the coercion and have the abortion."'

Also Read
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Replies (41-50):
ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this
I had my first child at 19 and needed a lot of help from my mom. I am very grateful for my mother's help but I was never entitled to it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AMBG825
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:49 AM

No state allows minors to enter into a contract (i.e. buying a car, paying for insurance) unless they are emancipated.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

That isn't the case in my state so you know what happens when you ASSume things. :)

Quoting AMBG825:

In this state, if you are under 18, you cannot get a license without parental permission. You cannot buy a car without parental permission if you are under 18. You can't even register a car if you are under the age of 18. Given the girl is only 16, it's a pretty safe bet the parents paid for the car and are paying the insurance.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

You nor I know the answer to that.  Can only take a bus if there is one offered.  Where I live we don't have public transportation so there would be no way to get to a dtr's appt. without a car.  So yes a car would be a right not a privilege in this situation.

Quoting AMBG825:

who paid for it? Who is insuring it?

I agree with you on the school. She can take the bus. A car is not a right.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

It was HER car and she needed it to get to dtr's appts and school.  Her parents wouldn't allow her to go to school and school is NOT a priveledge!!! 

Quoting AMBG825:

I like how the judge reinforced the idea that there is no personal responsibility.

A car is a privelege not a right. A phone is a privelege and not a right.

punky3175
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:49 AM
We don't know what she asked for in the court documents. That isn't covered in the article.

As do and will I (support my kids.) You are making the assumption that just because I disagree with this action by the girl and courts that I would act the same way as these parents which is not the case at all.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Where does it say ANYWHERE that she wants someone else to pay for her car or medical bills?  She didn't ask for her medical bills to be paid for by the parents the courts did.  Blah blah blah and parents did nothing wrong by ripping her out of school and denying her an education either right.  WHO the HELL does this to their child??

Glad I love my children more than this no matter what mistakes they have or will ever make.  I will ALWAYS stand by their sides with my complete support.  Oh and nope none of my children have become teenage parents or even had sex. 

Quoting punky3175:

No she is NOT taking full responsibility. She wants someone else to pay for her car and medical bills. Full responsibility would have been seeking emancipation from her parents and supporting herself and her child.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Wow she is still a kid and is taking 100% responsibility for herself and her unborn child.  She is far from acting spoiled!!  She is simply asking to be able to carry her baby to term and go to school!!  How is that not taking responsibility or being a spoiled brat??

She simply wants her car to go to school and dtrs appts. I think what she is asking is completely reasonable and mature beyond her years.

Quoting talia-mom:

Actually they didn't.  They are allowing it for limited uses.   No right to a car for ths girl or anyone was established.

She is a spoiled little brat who doesn't want the reality of what she put herself into.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Well the fact of matter is the courts disagree with you in this case as they have stated she is to be able to have her car. 

Quoting talia-mom:

There is no right to a car.   None.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

You nor I know the answer to that.  Can only take a bus if there is one offered.  Where I live we don't have public transportation so there would be no way to get to a dtr's appt. without a car.  So yes a car would be a right not a privilege in this situation.

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

It was HER car and she needed it to get to dtr's appts and school.  Her parents wouldn't allow her to go to school and school is NOT a priveledge!!! 

Quoting AMBG825:

I like how the judge reinforced the idea that there is no personal responsibility.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM

You can buy a car private sale on there own.  No one has stated this is a new car.  She could also be on her parents insurance but be paying for it herself.  My kids do. 

Quoting AMBG825:

No state allows minors to enter into a contract (i.e. buying a car, paying for insurance) unless they are emancipated.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

That isn't the case in my state so you know what happens when you ASSume things. :)

Quoting AMBG825:

In this state, if you are under 18, you cannot get a license without parental permission. You cannot buy a car without parental permission if you are under 18. You can't even register a car if you are under the age of 18. Given the girl is only 16, it's a pretty safe bet the parents paid for the car and are paying the insurance.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting AMBG825:

punky3175
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I was close to 21 and active duty miltary when I had my daughter and I will always be thankful for all the support my mom has provided since that time both monetary (buying essentials) and emotional.

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

I had my first child at 19 and needed a lot of help from my mom. I am very grateful for my mother's help but I was never entitled to it.
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Teen pregnancy and poverty go hand in hand...

http://www.thenationalcampaign.org/why-it-matters/pdf/poverty.pdf

Two-thirds of families begun by a young unmarried mother are poor.1

Approximately one-quarter of teen mothers go on welfare within 3 years of the child’s birth.2

Teen mothers are less likely to complete the education necessary to qualify for a well-paying job —only 38 percent of mothers who have children before age 18 obtain a high school diploma.3

In addition, other data indicate that less than two percent of mothers who have children before age 18 complete college by the age of 30 compared to nine percent of young women who wait until age 20 or 21 to have children.4

This disparity in education, not surprisingly, tends to affect income level.  In fact, over the past 20 years the median income for college graduates has increased 19 percent while the median income for high school dropouts has decreased 28 percent.5

Virtually all of the increase in child poverty between 1980 and 1996 was related to the increase in nonmarital childbearing, and half of never-married mothers begin their childbearing as teens.6

Nearly 80 percent of fathers of children born to teen mothers do not marry the mothers.  These fathers pay less than $800 annually in child support, often because they are quite poor themselves.8

Since child support can be an important source of income for poor children—accounting for 23 percent of the family income among those families who do receive child support—children born to young fathers are at further disadvantage.9

Teen mothers are likely to have a second birth relatively soon—about one-fourth of teenage mothers have a second child within 24 months of the first birth—which can further impede their ability to finish school or keep a job, and to escape poverty.10

Quoting mehamil1:

Why would anyone want someone to go in that direction? Pregnancy should not cause a person to go into poverty.

I had my son at 18. I was still on my fathers insurance at the time so my hospital stay was covered. 

Another reason why we need universal health care. no one should go into debt/poverty for getting sick/injured/have a baby. 

Quoting Woodbabe:

I agree. The parents should NOT be forced to pay her hospital bills either. If she wants to be a big girl, she can boldly ride that bus into the world of poverty, medicaid, WIC and food stamps.

Quoting mehamil1:

I am pro choice. I am glad this girl won. No one should be forced into doing what they don't want to do. This happens all the time. Too many women (and girls) are pressured into having an abortion, or giving it up for adoption, and even pressured into keeping a child they know they don't want. That should never happen. 

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

AMBG825
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM

No she can't. A bill of sale is a contract. Even with a private seller.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

You can buy a car private sale on there own.  No one has stated this is a new car.  She could also be on her parents insurance but be paying for it herself.  My kids do. 

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting AMBG825:

punky3175
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Emancipation. She wanted to sue? Why not sue for emancipation to become a legally recognized adult? That would show she really did want to take FULL responsibility.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Can't live on your own at 16.  By law no one can rent to anyone under 18 so how exactly do you propose she does this?

Quoting Ktina11:

100 % of the responsibility would be living on her own and paying all medical costs herself. She is not accepting full responsibility. She is making a grown up decision, but the judge should have required her to accept the grown up consequences. Mom and dad should not have to foot the bill for anything for the teen or the grandchild. What a bad precence to set.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Wow she is still a kid and is taking 100% responsibility for herself and her unborn child.  She is far from acting spoiled!!  She is simply asking to be able to carry her baby to term and go to school!!  How is that not taking responsibility or being a spoiled brat??

She simply wants her car to go to school and dtrs appts. I think what she is asking is completely reasonable and mature beyond her years.

Quoting talia-mom:

Actually they didn't.  They are allowing it for limited uses.   No right to a car for ths girl or anyone was established.

She is a spoiled little brat who doesn't want the reality of what she put herself into.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Well the fact of matter is the courts disagree with you in this case as they have stated she is to be able to have her car. 

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting AMBG825:

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Because she did what her lawyers recommended.

Quoting punky3175:

Emancipation. She wanted to sue? Why not sue for emancipation to become a legally recognized adult? That would show she really did want to take FULL responsibility.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Can't live on your own at 16.  By law no one can rent to anyone under 18 so how exactly do you propose she does this?

Quoting Ktina11:

100 % of the responsibility would be living on her own and paying all medical costs herself. She is not accepting full responsibility. She is making a grown up decision, but the judge should have required her to accept the grown up consequences. Mom and dad should not have to foot the bill for anything for the teen or the grandchild. What a bad precence to set.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting AMBG825:

punky3175
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:07 AM
That's your assumption.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Because she did what her lawyers recommended.

Quoting punky3175:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting Ktina11:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting AMBG825:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting AMBG825:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN