Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mo. House Bill Makes Proposing Gun Control Illegal

Posted by   + Show Post

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) - A Missouri lawmaker is proposing to send colleagues to prison for introducing gun control legislation — a plan that even its sponsor acknowledges has no chance of passage but nonetheless highlights the increasingly strident tone of gun measures in Missouri’s generally pro-gun Legislature.

Rep. Mike Leara said Tuesday that he considers his bill a statement of principle. It would make lawmakers guilty of a felony punishable by up to four years in prison if they introduce legislation restricting gun rights.

“I have no illusions about the bill making it through the legislative process, but I want it to be clear that the Missouri House will stand in defense of the people’s constitutional right to keep and bear arms,” Leara, a Republican from suburban St. Louis, said in a written statement. He declined further comment.

Since last year’s deadly mass shootings in Colorado and Connecticut, state and federal lawmakers have grappled with gun legislation. President Barack Obama has proposed an assault weapons ban, background checks and restrictions on high-capacity ammunition magazines. But Missouri’s Republican-led Legislature has taken a different approach — more guns, not less.

State Rep. Stacey Newman, D-St. Louis, called the measure “unconstitutional” and said she would go directly to prison if the bill passes. Newman is the sponsor of a measure that would require guns to be sold by a licensed dealer and force that dealer to conduct a background check.

Even one of Leara’s fellow Republicans said he probably wouldn’t support the bill.

Everybody should have a right to introduce bills, even bad ones,” said state Rep. Kevin Engler, of Farmington, a former state senator who has sponsored National Rifle Association-supported legislation in previous years.

Leara’s measure comes less than a week after St. Louis-area House Democrats introduced legislation containing an assault weapons ban. That bill would require owners of semi-automatic weapons to surrender, destroy or send their guns to another state within 90 days of the measure’s passage.

One lawmaker has questioned the wisdom of proposing legislation to the ideological extreme of both political parties.

“(Leara’s bill) has as much chance of passing as (the assault weapons ban). Highlights the problem with proposing bills to get attention,” tweeted Sen. Ryan Silvey, R-Kansas City.

The proposal criminalizing gun control legislation comes as a Missouri House committee was scheduled to consider a Republican proposal Tuesday that would nullify all federal gun laws. A Senate panel is also expected to conduct a hearing Tuesday on a state constitutional amendment broadening gun rights.

The gun bill is HB633.

source

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:37 AM
Replies (11-20):
candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:46 AM

They know there is no way to do that.   They just want the population to not be able to fight back.

Quoting Woodbabe:

When are they going to propose legislation to disarm the criminals?

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow, against the law to even think about making a law about guns. Someone needs to sit senator crazy pants down and read a few important important documents.
I don't remember the constitution saying that Congress could make no law prohibiting the ownership of firearms in any way. As a matter of fact, the term "well regulated" does feature prominently so I don't really understand where all of this hysteria comes from. Weapons have been regulated in the past and the crazy constitution talk only stated in the eighties. Huh, with Reagan. Never noticed that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:56 AM
I can't like this enough.

Quoting meriana:

Instead of spending time writing bills they know have no hope of going anywhere, they should be focusing on writing bills that will actually help all those in their state, not just a few who would prefer they not have any laws, rules or regulations at all.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Did you two hear about the fire last night that destroyed a block of The Plaza?

Quoting mylifemylove864:

I was born and raised in southwest MO. My family still lives there. I miss it.

Quoting candlegal:

I lived in Kansas City, Missouri for 30 years and I agree.

Quoting mylifemylove864:

I'm from MO and both sides are getting out of control.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting candlegal:

The problem with that is it only makes it difficult for law abiding citizens to buy a gun.  The criminals never seem to have a problem.   Look at Detroit and Chicago as just two examples.

Quoting meriana:

As usual someone takes things to far one way so someone else comes along and takes them too far the other way. Guess people have forgotten that in most things, there is a middle ground. Unfortunatly where guns are concerned, regulation isn't necessairly a bad thing, there is nothing wrong in universal back-ground checks and removing the loophole that allows anyone to go to a gun show and purchase whatever they want but so many are against back-ground checks period. I don't get why, if one is a law-abiding citizen, they'd object to a back-ground check. I also don't have a problem with developing some means of denying access to guns to those who have a history of mental illness but there again, the idea raises the ire of many.

Yeah I know, the criminal element always comes into play with any discussion about guns and certainly if a criminal really wants a gun, said criminal will find a means of obaining one, I just personally have no problem with taking steps to make it more difficult for them to do so.

What's difficult about a back-ground check being required period. If one wants to help out on a school field trip, they must submit to a back-ground check. If we can require them period, for that, why not for the purchase of a weapon.

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I hate extremism on any side of this issue.

Quoting candlegal:

I would be willing to bet it was because of this stupid piece of legislation

Missouri Dems Introduce Alarming Gun Confiscation
Bill Giving Law-Abiding Gun Owners 90 Days to Turn in Certain Firearms
or Become Felons

Quoting meriana:

Instead of spending time writing bills they know have no hope of going anywhere, they should be focusing on writing bills that will actually help all those in their state, not just a few who would prefer they not have any laws, rules or regulations at all.

SlingsAndThings
Boo
Today at 1:05 PM
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Gosh, how I wish my state would spend the time to actually try and accomplish important things instead of introducing bills that have no hope of going anywhere and wasting everyone's time.

Oh you who have believed, seek help through patience and prayer. Indeed, Allah is with those who are patient-

Al Quran 2-153

SlingsAndThings
Boo
Today at 1:05 PM
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM

It was JJ's restaurant.  They found the body of one of the missing people this morning so there's been at least one confirmed fatality.  It could have been so many more.

Quoting LauraKW:

Did you two hear about the fire last night that destroyed a block of The Plaza?

Quoting mylifemylove864:

I was born and raised in southwest MO. My family still lives there. I miss it.

Quoting candlegal:

I lived in Kansas City, Missouri for 30 years and I agree.

Quoting mylifemylove864:

I'm from MO and both sides are getting out of control.

Oh you who have believed, seek help through patience and prayer. Indeed, Allah is with those who are patient-

Al Quran 2-153

lga1965
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:41 PM
LOL.

Quoting candlegal:

They know there is no way to do that.   They just want the population to not be able to fight back.

Quoting Woodbabe:

When are they going to propose legislation to disarm the criminals?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

While I understand his sentiment this is a waste of taxpayers dollars, just like those Dems know that a bill taking guns away from lawful owners will never pass either. How about instead of making crazy laws for show and wasting money they actually do something real to help their states.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)