Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
Do you think its okay for Church's to Baptize, Confirm, etc a person under 18 without Parental Consent?

The reason I'm asking...
I teach RCIA and there is a 16 year old girl in my current class. She has been here since September but yesterday I found out she is in RCIA against her parents' wishes. Her Uncle is her sponsor so I just assumed her family knew... Plus her parents attend Mass sometimes (but they never take part in the Sacraments). This girl wants to participate in Mass and be a full member of the Church. But her parents told her No.

So what would you do? Would you tell the parents? I mean, they're going to find out when they come to Mass and their daughter takes Communion.

ETA* you can join the Catholic Church after the "age of reason" with or without Parental Permission so the Priest has no problem with her being in RCIA.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Replies (11-20):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:27 AM
I'm not sure what Church you go to but CCD, RCIA, & all other Catholic classes are completely free.
:-)

Even the books we use in RCIA are 100% free provided by the Parish. And "tithing" isn't required in the Catholic Church. :-)

Quoting MicheleJM:

Who's paying for it?  It isn't like these classes come free.  Sometimes they come expensively depending on the particular church.  Especially if her parents aren't in the church community and tithing.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I'm not sure if they know or not...

I know they are aware she wants to become Catholic but I'm unsure if they are aware that she is already in RCIA...

Quoting SuperChicken:

I think the Church has a responsibility to tell the parents what's going on, but I don't think they need her permission.   As long as they are aware she's doing it, even if they don't really like it, then okay.  If it's being kept secret from the parents, then that strikes me as sneaky and underhanded.     

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperChicken
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I know they are aware she wants to become Catholic but I'm unsure if they are aware that she is already in RCIA...

Quoting SuperChicken:

I think the Church has a responsibility to tell the parents what's going on, but I don't think they need her permission.   As long as they are aware she's doing it, even if they don't really like it, then okay.  If it's being kept secret from the parents, then that strikes me as sneaky and underhanded.     

That's a tough one.  I'd want to know if my child was in the process of joining a denomination.  Because I grew up in the Catholic Church I'd be okay with that, but there are "churches" that I would actively try to protect my child from such as Westboro and the like.   I think at 16, since the parents are still responsible for her, they should be told.   Even if just to promote honesty and family, two things I know the Church values.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM
LOL!

RCIA is a class for people who want to become Catholic. :-)

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Wow, It's like you're speaking a foreign language to me..lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I would want to know ... although I guess I would, if she was going to classes.  But at 16, I would let me child make their own decision.  It's weird, considering her parents do attend church there ... I wonder why they are against her joining?

catrig
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I see no problem with her doing it.

LuvmyAiden
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM

She is old enough to choose.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Thanks for the input :-)
I'm going to talk to her after class in Tuesday next week... Hopefully she can tell me what all is going on. I feel that since I am the one teaching her the Catechism I want to make sure her conscience & mine are clean before she receives the Sacraments.

Quoting SuperChicken:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting SuperChicken:

That's a tough one.  I'd want to know if my child was in the process of joining a denomination.  Because I grew up in the Catholic Church I'd be okay with that, but there are "churches" that I would actively try to protect my child from such as Westboro and the like.   I think at 16, since the parents are still responsible for her, they should be told.   Even if just to promote honesty and family, two things I know the Church values.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I think I may be misunderstanding more than just that..lol

So if you're not a member you can't take communion? Or if you don't go to certain classes you can't take communion?

There isn't much about the Catholic church I understand..

Thanks!

ETA..sacraments= communion? Or am I way off?

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

LOL!

RCIA is a class for people who want to become Catholic. :-)

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

Wow, It's like you're speaking a foreign language to me..lol

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM
She has other family that attends regularly but Her parents only attend on Holy Days and an occasional Sunday Mass. Also, they never take Communion so I'm not sure if they are Catholic themselves or just go to certain masses for the sake of "tradition"... Know what I mean?

Quoting pansyprincess:

I would want to know ... although I guess I would, if she was going to classes.  But at 16, I would let me child make their own decision.  It's weird, considering her parents do attend church there ... I wonder why they are against her joining?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Her parents come to Mass and they don't want her to be Catholic? Is that what you're saying? I'm assuming if she is over the age of consent, then it is no problem and she doesn't need their blessing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)