Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
Do you think its okay for Church's to Baptize, Confirm, etc a person under 18 without Parental Consent?

The reason I'm asking...
I teach RCIA and there is a 16 year old girl in my current class. She has been here since September but yesterday I found out she is in RCIA against her parents' wishes. Her Uncle is her sponsor so I just assumed her family knew... Plus her parents attend Mass sometimes (but they never take part in the Sacraments). This girl wants to participate in Mass and be a full member of the Church. But her parents told her No.

So what would you do? Would you tell the parents? I mean, they're going to find out when they come to Mass and their daughter takes Communion.

ETA* you can join the Catholic Church after the "age of reason" with or without Parental Permission so the Priest has no problem with her being in RCIA.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Replies (71-74):
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

:-)
Well they won't refuse you Communion but if you don't believe in Transubstantiation then we believe it is actually harmful for you to take Communion... "For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself. That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died" (1 Cor. 11:29–30).

Awesome.  That's an actual testable prediction!

Just take a statistically significant number of atheists, measure their health, feed them communion once a week for some period of time, then measure their health again.  

Better still, split the group randomly into two samples, and feed one sample wafers that have not been consecrated.  Have the people administering the wafers do so blind.

You'd find no shortage of atheists with the courage to volunteer for such an experiment, so it would be entirely consensual.

WesleysMom23
by Megan on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM
We go to a small church. There are 6 kids total in my sons age group for ccd. We also had to pay for him to take the class. He can't wait to be able to take communion. He is only in kindergarten so he has a few years to go before he can take it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Everyone has the right to make these choices for themselfs the parents should have no say in her religious choices.

What if the child wanted to convert to Islam, or some other religion that has a reputation for being harsh to those who then leave it?

Religion is a personal choice you can not force it. I would tell them about my beliefs and give them some materials to read on all different religions so they could explore and choose forthemselves. My brother has chosen to be an atheists. My mom is not happy about it. But I told her that he is only 15 and may change his mind so she should just leave him be.  

toddler girl                         toddler boy

Sarah                                           Luciano

(10-16-06)                                  (11-27-08)

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

MicheleJM
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I had to pay for my son's communion classes.  It must depend on the church...or the catholic church is trying to add to its ranks, lol

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

It is free. 

Quoting MicheleJM:

Who's paying for it?  It isn't like these classes come free.  Sometimes they come expensively depending on the particular church.  Especially if her parents aren't in the church community and tithing.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I'm not sure if they know or not...
I know they are aware she wants to become Catholic but I'm unsure if they are aware that she is already in RCIA...

Quoting SuperChicken:

I think the Church has a responsibility to tell the parents what's going on, but I don't think they need her permission.   As long as they are aware she's doing it, even if they don't really like it, then okay.  If it's being kept secret from the parents, then that strikes me as sneaky and underhanded.     

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)