Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Oops! Mom sues pharmaceutical firm for cost of raising daughter after mislabeled birth control pills

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:03 PM
  • 107 Replies
1 mom liked this

A single mom is suing a pharmaceutical firm for the cost of raising her daughter after a packaging error allowed her to become pregnant.

Shanta Russell, 33, is demanding compensation from Qualitest Pharmaceuticals after the firm admitted her birth control pills had been put in the wrong order in the blister pack.

Placebo pills, to be taken when a woman has her period, were placed in the packs where active pills should have been.

This rendered Russell's contraceptives, which she had been taking for more than 12 years, ineffective.

The Kansas City native found out she was pregnant in June 2011.

Three months later she received a letter from Qualitest informing her of the mix-up.

She gave birth to her baby girl in early 2012, and filed the lawsuit in Jackson County Circuit Court on Feb. 6.

Qualitest's parent firm and the company that packaged the drugs are also being sued.

The Kansas City Star reports Russell, a self-confessed workaholic, had not intended to become pregnant so soon as she was working two jobs.

"I was devastated," Russell told The Star.

"I questioned myself. After all these years, how could this happen? Then I received a letter in the mail. Of course I was angry. There was nothing I did that was a mistake."

But she also revealed that she "adored" her little girl, saying that she now "can't live without her"

Endo Pharmaceuticals, Qualitest's parent company, has refused to comment on the case.

It is also facing similar lawsuits from women in California, Tennessee, Texas and Georgia.

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcage
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM

So.......she couldn't of looked at the pills and seen they were the wrong kind? I'm missing something here.

mrssummerlin
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Ha, I don't even know what to say about this.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope she raises her with love..other than that, I giggled a little bit.

romalove
by Roma on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:07 PM
14 moms liked this

When she says the pharmaceutical company screwed her, she really really means it.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM
7 moms liked this
Good, I hope she / they win. Just because she is happy with the result of the error doesn't mean there was no error and this company should be held accountable.
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Quoting romalove:

When she says the pharmaceutical company screwed her, she really really means it.

adulation
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM

on one hand I see how they can be held responsible, yet on the other hand what if she had become pregnant with the pills in the right spots? like if she had not taken them at  the same time every day or had forgotten to take one of them, or one of the many mistakes we can make that can lesson the effects of our pills which we all know are NOT 100% effective?!

I guess she got lucky that they made a mistake,.

mlg1989
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Uh....seriously?
She can't possibly win..
Ravishing_dame
by New Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

There is no honor in suing...

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romalove:

lolololol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)