Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Man with DS dies during arrest- Ruled a homicide

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM
  • 5 Replies

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/md-family-seeking-answers-in-death-of-son-with-down-syndrome-whose-death-was-ruled-a-homicide/2013/02/19/776b1088-7acb-11e2-9c27-fdd594ea6286_story.html

This is a huge hot topic in my area as it occured in the county I live in. I have been those theaters and saw this on FB right after it happened.

I am curious to see how it unfolds.

Personally I think disability or not, you abide by societal rules, that's equality.

However, I certainly think its fishy that he died of asphyxiation and it's ruled a homicide. I hope that justice is served, but I can say from the FB posts, the focus right now is on the fact that he shouldn't have been removed at all from the theater. I think the focus needs to be on police policy and implementation.  He SHOULD have been ask and left the theater.  He should NOT have been murdered in order to accomplish that.

Mama to Andrea- 2007 and Jackson-2009
teal ribbonI am a Previvor! (my blog)  pink ribbon

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Litlmama87
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I think they need to have the investigation performed by an outside agency.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Such a sad story. :(

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:03 PM

very sad story! Is there no cameras in the theater? I wonder why they got so forceful

SnarkyMama
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:25 PM

From what I understand, the police are saying they did nothing.  That he was at one point on the ground to handcuff but nothing else.  Obviously there is other evidence if the coronor ruled it a homicide.  I have no idea what they did or how they thought it was appropriate.  We will have to see what comes out.  A sherriff live's in my neighborhood.  Maybe I will ask him.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Oh wow.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)