Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Replies (41-50):
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:46 PM

You've been married longer but I'm older. 

Sigh. 

I guess it's better than the alternative, but I'm not enjoying my 50's much so far.  Emergency eye surgery for retinal detachment (something that just freaking happens for NO reason when you are older) the other day - without anesthesia. Fun.   I spent 40 years studiously avoiding doctors and medical environments and would like to continue that for the next 40!

Quoting romalove:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Oh.  Well...duh.  Of course "you" look great (though I'm sure you do look great)!  If you only told me that you'd been married 30 years (a little longer than me, but I married late), then I would wonder how the heck you managed to stay looking like that, without even any gray!

If I posted my daughter in my avatar, as the "before" picture of me, it would be funny (but I won't do that, of course). 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Um, not quite.  I think I confused another picture with yours. 

You don't look 50 though! 

Quoting romalove:

Are you 100?

LMAO

Quoting TranquilMind:

Nice reach, but meh....I'm probably twice your age, and quite secure in my long marriage, thanks.  LOL.  If I had insecurity, I think it might have manifested itself by now. 

Nice try at deflection though.

Quoting romalove:

At 12 I wanted boys. Heck, I wanted one in first grade.

I think your opinion on this subject says volumes about your security in your own sexuality.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Sure, YOU are.  You are a grown woman, probably at least in your 30's, with kids.

Whole different story when 12 year olds begin experimenting - and they will experiment according to what is presented as normal behavior most of the time.    Sexuality is extremely malleable.  What happens in those early years is what you will deal with for the rest of your life, for good or ill.

It's just reprehensible and outrageous to ignore this.   So a Mom like you saying,  "Oh, I will always want men."  is just irrelevant at this point.  Of course you will. 

Quoting romalove:

LOL

How many of those who are worried about mainstreaming gay people say that if we make that a viable choice it will make more people choose it?

I always wonder about those people....I mean, I'm as strong a supporter of gay rights as you will find, but I love men and won't be gay no matter who can marry who.  LOL

My avatar is a picture of my two daughters from a few years ago.  The older one will be 24 in April and the younger one will be 17 next month.

They have an older brother who is 27.

And I will be married 30 years in July.  

That's why I found your response so amusing.  

I got married at 20. 

I was 50 in November.

I've been an adult since I was a child lol.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:49 PM
2 moms liked this
As I've said the last time you spouted this: not gay. My child is two. My brother is not gay. I have some gay cousins.

Yes. I am a one note wonder for equity and enlightenment. Thanks!
Society is never ever ever going to conform to your kids or you so you should just probably be a strong individual in your own morals.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Seriously - I've noticed that you are a one-note wonder on this topic, and that the majority of your posts have to do with this.  So....thinking you must be gay (or have a vested interest, such as a child involved) or you wouldn't be pushing this so hard. 

At least admit your bias.

Quoting Momniscient:

Seriously

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting soontobemomof2k:

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting romalove:

LOL

How many of those who are worried about mainstreaming gay people say that if we make that a viable choice it will make more people choose it?

I always wonder about those people....I mean, I'm as strong a supporter of gay rights as you will find, but I love men and won't be gay no matter who can marry who.  LOL

Have you noticed how often anonymous forums have threads full of women who say they want to try having sex with another woman?

If it was more acceptable for people to be homosexual, I think more of those posters would have tried it, when young adults, before they got trapped into a marriage.

I've tried it when I was a teenager. I was really curious. I
don't think anything of it, or that it was wrong. Now I'm married and I
don't think about other women at all like that anymore. Although my
hubby would probably want to see that lol

Inappropriate, but I just had a thought I found amusing...

Has anyone considered the beneficial effect upon teen pregnancy rates of promoting experimenting with lesbianism among teenagers?

Has got to be an easier sell than abstinence. :-)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TranquilMind:

Sigh. 

I guess it's better than the alternative, but I'm not enjoying my 50's much so far.  Emergency eye surgery for retinal detachment (something that just freaking happens for NO reason when you are older) the other day - without anesthesia. Fun.   I spent 40 years studiously avoiding doctors and medical environments and would like to continue that for the next 40!

Quoting romalove:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Oh.  Well...duh.  Of course "you" look great (though I'm sure you do look great)!  If you only told me that you'd been married 30 years (a little longer than me, but I married late), then I would wonder how the heck you managed to stay looking like that, without even any gray!

If I posted my daughter in my avatar, as the "before" picture of me, it would be funny (but I won't do that, of course). 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting romalove:

Are you 100?

LMAO

Quoting TranquilMind:

Nice reach, but meh....I'm probably twice your age, and quite secure in my long marriage, thanks.  LOL.  If I had insecurity, I think it might have manifested itself by now. 

Quoting romalove:

I think your opinion on this subject says volumes about your security in your own sexuality.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Sure, YOU are.  You are a grown woman, probably at least in your 30's, with kids.

Whole different story when 12 year olds begin experimenting - and they will experiment according to what is presented as normal behavior most of the time.    Sexuality is extremely malleable.  What happens in those early years is what you will deal with for the rest of your life, for good or ill.

It's just reprehensible and outrageous to ignore this.   So a Mom like you saying,  "Oh, I will always want men."  is just irrelevant at this point.  Of course you will. 

Quoting romalove:

LOL

My avatar is a picture of my two daughters from a few years ago.  The older one will be 24 in April and the younger one will be 17 next month.

I got married at 20. 

I was 50 in November.

I'm sorry to hear of your eye troubles!

romalove
by Roma on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Momniscient:

As I've said the last time you spouted this: not gay. My child is two. My brother is not gay. I have some gay cousins.

Yes. I am a one note wonder for equity and enlightenment. Thanks!
Society is never ever ever going to conform to your kids or you so you should just probably be a strong individual in your own morals.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Seriously - I've noticed that you are a one-note wonder on this topic, and that the majority of your posts have to do with this.  So....thinking you must be gay (or have a vested interest, such as a child involved) or you wouldn't be pushing this so hard. 

At least admit your bias.

Quoting Momniscient:

Seriously

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting soontobemomof2k:

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting romalove:

LOL

Have you noticed how often anonymous forums have threads full of women who say they want to try having sex with another woman?

If it was more acceptable for people to be homosexual, I think more of those posters would have tried it, when young adults, before they got trapped into a marriage.

I've tried it when I was a teenager. I was really curious. I
don't think anything of it, or that it was wrong. Now I'm married and I
don't think about other women at all like that anymore. Although my
hubby would probably want to see that lol

Inappropriate, but I just had a thought I found amusing...

Has anyone considered the beneficial effect upon teen pregnancy rates of promoting experimenting with lesbianism among teenagers?

Has got to be an easier sell than abstinence. :-)

You told me you were gay for me.

I shall go pout in the corner now.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:58 PM

That made me giggle.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Thanks.  If you ever sit down with a cup of coffee and suddenly a whole lot of floaters appear as well as flashing lights to the side, as if a migraine is coming on.....run to the eye surgeon (not just optometrist).   A tear is easier to fix than a detachment where they shove multiple needles directly into your eyeball (talk about a good time to recite scripture - it really helped me - as well as making them laugh by asking for drugs, pot brownies from 1975, ANYTHING). 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Sigh. 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting romalove:

Are you 100?

LMAO

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting romalove:

LOL

I got married at 20. 

I was 50 in November.

I'm sorry to hear of your eye troubles!

chloedee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Is "what has happened" your way of once again pushing your totally unfounded claim that being gay is a result of abuse?

Quoting TranquilMind:

I don't believe that kids are "born gay", the premise that underlies your question.  It's a wrong premise in every sense of the word, and unassailable if you can get others to agree that it is true.  It is not true.  There might be predispositions, depending upon what has happened, but every kid makes a choice about what to do in his life. 

Quoting LindaClement:

So, you're suggesting that when gay kids experiment with heterosexual behaviour, it can turn them straight?

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting romalove:

LOL

chloedee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Have you considered that she might be bisexual?

Quoting luvmygrndhg:

A friend of mine went to San Francisco to do an intership for several months.  She was in her early 20s and an older lesbian woman seduced her and convinced her she was gay.  She had a relationship with that woman and then when she returned home she met another lesbian woman and was in a relationship with her for a couple of years.  Then out of the blue, I got a wedding announcement for her marriage to a man!  She is now happily married and has a beautiful son!  I got the feeling when they came to visit me last summer that that period of her past life was not to be talked about.  I figure her dh knows but it's moot point now as she's in a committed heterosexual marriage.

So the moral of the story to me is that some young people are very vulnerable and can be misled into thinking they are gay by more "experienced" gays.

Quoting meriana:

I found it necessary to have a few serious talks with dd about a year ago because a couple of older lesbian girls (at different times) had nearly succeeded in totally confusing her. The thing was she had a couple of girl friends she was fairly close to. In our family it's very common to say to a close friend of either sex, "love ya", it doesn't refer to anything other than a close friendship. However, because dd would say this to her friends, these two girls tried to convince her that she must LOVE them in a way far more than close friendship and that she was, at the very least, bi-sexual and should try having a physical relationship because she would probably really enjoy it  They also promoted it as "you'd never ever have to worry about getting pregnant". Dd was becoming very confused and very unhappy. We finally had to tell the one girl to stay away from dd because she wouldn't let it go when dd told her no. (the girl was suggesting dd try it with her also)

So as I said, I had to have a few talks with dd about the difference between loving someone in the manner of just really caring about them, how they feel and what happens to them vs the kind of love that leads to an intimate relationship. Kids just entering puberty are suddenly faced with a lot of changes and can become confused about their feelings when they are experiencing things they've never before dealt with. To have someone a bit older begin telling them they are probably bi-sexual or something and try to get them to experience that could, with some, lead them to think of themselves in a way they otherwise wouldn't, especially with all the "it's natural, nothing wrong with it, if you want to have sex, go ahead, etc. etc." rhetoric they're faced with nearly everyday regarding sex in general.

I think parents need to really talk to their kids about the difference between caring about (loving) someone in the sense you feel close to them and care what happens to them and the kind of love that leads to a physically intimate relationship. And NO. I don't think it's particularly healthy for teens to be experimenting sexually with one sex, let alone both, especially at a time in their lives when they are going through so many changes.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Quoting LindaClement:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting romalove:

LOL

No one who chooses not to be is trapped in a marriage.

I was thinking of a recent thread in Confessions by someone only just realising that they are a lesbian.  They went into some detail on how they ended up married (when rather young) basically through expectations.  "Trapped" was how they described it.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:16 PM
2 moms liked this
When I was 12, I only liked boys, only thought about boys, would NOT have experimented with girls. Same thing through my teens and 20's. However, now, well into my 30's, happily married to a man, I'm intruiged and excited by the idea of being with a woman. I still am attracted to men, particularly my hubby, but as I've grown more secure in myself, in who I am, I'm comfortable with admitting I also find women sexually attractive.

If the right circumstances arose, hubs and I would love to have a threesome with a woman, we've already done it with a man. So your argument isn't entirely valid.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting romalove:

LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN