Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Are Republicans beating Benghazi to death at the cost of a substantive argument?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:00 PM
  • 4 Replies

Juan Zarate, who was a counterterrorism adviser to President George W. Bush, says people could be asking meaty questions about the nature of the evolving terrorist threat, but they're not.

"I think it's been substance that's lost amidst the debate about talking points and the way that the administration portrayed the incidents in the early days after the attacks," Zarate says.

There was a substantive investigation into the attacks. Retired Ambassador Thomas Pickering co-chaired the independent commission. The State Department accepted all of his recommendations and fired four people. That was two months ago.

Now, Pickering says, the Benghazi debate is in a new chapter.

"The political questions will obviously continue as long as people feel there's political mileage to be made of them," Pickering says.

When asked if that's par for the course in Washington, Pickering says, "I think this is quite unusual. This is the first time that this kind of a review has been so politicized."

One reason for the politicization is that the attack took place in the final weeks of a presidential campaign. But the election was three months ago. And still the Benghazi drumbeat continues, after 10 Congressional hearings and many more staff briefings.

Tad Devine, a Democratic political consultant, points out that for the first time in decades, Republicans trail in polls on foreign policy and national security. "And I think they see an opportunity here to try to diminish the president on one of his strongest suits."

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2013/02/20/172516645/republicans-make-benghazi-a-frequent-refrain

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:39 PM

There is a great deal they could take him to task on. Legitimately. Like the drone strikes killing American citizens. I want Republicans (and democrats) to be all over that nonsense. 

When Bush was doing it, the left was screaming. Now that Obama is doing the same exact thing, the right is whining and the left is stubbornly silent. It's not right. 

Lisa1273
Happy Holidays!
Yesterday at 8:40 PM
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I agree with everything mehamil1 just said.  

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:21 AM

...but to answer the question posed by the title of the OP:

not just yes, but  F * C K  Y E S !

A blind man can see this.

A deaf child can hear this

A half brain dead one eyed monkey knows this

...yeah but not some ppl here at CM

candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Let's not worry about the dead Americans

Let's not worry about how the President lied for weeks after this

If Bush had done this there would have been cries of impeachment from all over the left

etc. etc. etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN