Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sick of a**hole Doctors EDITED FOR LATEST UPDATE

****UPDATE: 2/25... I had all my tests and NO signs of cancer. I cannot tell you the relief I feel. Thanks for all the good wishes!******

m sick of medical professionals thinking they can pick and choose what to tell a patient. As a nurse, I have been taught the patient has the right know everything.

I had a mammogram about 3 weeks ago ordered by my PCP and asked for my midwife (who does my gyn care) to get a copy. 2 weeks go by and nothing. I think everything is fine. On a Saturday I get a letter from the hospital stating I needed further testing. Fine. I call my PCP on Monday and he says it's nothing. I need a spot compression mammography and us. I said "did they see nodules?" he said "no. The pictures aren't clear. I question him because why would they do a spot compression if there are nodules. Still he says nothing. I now get a letter and call from my midwife saying I have 3 nodules.. 1 in the right and 2 in the left breast. I call my PCP and he said he "didn't want me to worry". WTF?? I went off on him and I'm getting a new PCP.

Sorry for the rant but it pisses me off!

UPDATE: this gets worse. I've had the worst UTI

Of my life this week. I was on 2 antibiotics and finally had to go to the ER on Wednesday night. They did a CT scan to rule out kidney stones. My PCP ( I can't switch yet) said everything was clear. My UTI is still bad so he sent me to a urologist today. He tells " I am sure your doctor told you this but your CT scan showed a nodule

on your left lower lobe. Again he lied! I can't switch until I get these tests done. It will take too long and I want these tests done now. So, now I am going on Monday for all the tests. He said it is probably nothing. I had to insist on the ct of the chest. When this is over, I'm reporting him.

I wasn't that afraid before but am scared shitless now
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Replies (31-40):
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:27 AM
Thank you everyone for the well wishes:)
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:23 AM
1 mom liked this

It took me three years to convince my doctors that my pain was real and I ended up in surgery for five hours....stand your ground, find a new doc and I send you the best!

meriana
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I'm so sorry you're going throught all that.

Personally over the years I've had dr.'s lie to me; get angry due to the fact I couldn't give them any family medical history; talk to me like I had NO brain cells at all and one actually had the nerve to tell me I shouldn't even have a child because I refused to allow him to administer a vacination when dd was down with chronic croup. He later admitted that giving her a vaccination at that time would NOT have been a wise thing but that didn't change his attitude at all. (he was one of those "don't question me, just do as I say" types). Another put out the word I wasn't to be allowed in my dad's hospital room because I'd dared to ask one nurse caring for him, one simple question.

Then one hears about the kind of stuff others have posted all the time. And people wonder why I avoid dr.'s like the plaque and have pretty much no trust or faith in them.

bozobean
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:25 AM
I would be the doctor's worst nightmare if he did that. Report him to the medical board, and give him a bad rating on every doctor review website you can find. He deserves it.
Luv.My.Kidz
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I would be pissed off also. You should have been told from the beginning. Worry or not... you need to know the truth!

BethanyJ
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Quoting fullxbusymom:

They try to save you from worrying until there is reason to worry.  Most people panic and have melt downs before they ever get a definitive diagnosis.  Honestly this is the practice of a lot of doctors now a days. 

That's not true, and it's bad medicine.  The patient has a right to know regardless of their behavior or what the doctor thinks their reaction will be.  Saying he didn't want to worry her is an excuse for not providing information.  Doctors have no right to withhold any information, and no, most people do not have huge panicky meltdowns.  It's the doctor's job to tell the patient about any possible diagnosis, and what the symptoms may mean.  You really shouldn't be defending this terrible practice.  

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
As soon as I can switch, I am!

Quoting bozobean:

I would be the doctor's worst nightmare if he did that. Report him to the medical board, and give him a bad rating on every doctor review website you can find. He deserves it.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

OP, you are in my thoughts.

I hope you get good news next week.

I'd switch too. Withholding information is not in a doctor's job description.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry :(

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Ummmm I never defended anything!! Never said it wasn't wrong either!!

Quoting BethanyJ:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

They try to save you from worrying until there is reason to worry.  Most people panic and have melt downs before they ever get a definitive diagnosis.  Honestly this is the practice of a lot of doctors now a days. 

That's not true, and it's bad medicine.  The patient has a right to know regardless of their behavior or what the doctor thinks their reaction will be.  Saying he didn't want to worry her is an excuse for not providing information.  Doctors have no right to withhold any information, and no, most people do not have huge panicky meltdowns.  It's the doctor's job to tell the patient about any possible diagnosis, and what the symptoms may mean.  You really shouldn't be defending this terrible practice.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN