Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

31 School Shootings in America since Columbine, only 14 in the rest of the World...

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:16 PM
  • 11 Replies

http://www.policymic.com/articles/20843/31-school-shootings-in-america-since-columbine-only

**look for article title if link doesn't come up**

What are your thoughts on why?  Also, I read another article & posted here how in approx. 2010-2012 there were 6 school shootings (approx) ALL yr., then in Jan. 2013 alone, I believe there were that much (approx.) alone!  I believe it is that our kids are becoming much more violent.  That they think it's a 'cool' thing to do & resort to shootings.  Rather than 'fist fighting', they are shooting up kids, teacher & staff.  Is it from violent movies & video games?  I believe it's due to the fact that A LOT of parents just 'sink' at being parents.  The kids come home to either NO parents, or parents that don't care.  Parents that would rather get on the computer or just & watch TV.  

I posted earlier about the High School in Westminster, CO.  That there was a break-in at a close house & the person that stoled those guns, apparently were found in the athletic field of the High School, in/near a shed.  I haven't heard much more yet, but I was thinking.  How IF it was one of the students, then they probably planned some type of shooting on the campus.  Thoughts?

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katy_kay08
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Yay!  You posted a working link!  Good job!  :) 

*now, I'm off to read it*

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I know I was shocked when I saw it worked!  lol...I don't know why all my others aren't working, they use to... ummm 

Quoting katy_kay08:

Yay!  You posted a working link!  Good job!  :) 

*now, I'm off to read it*

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I really liked this article & especially this part:

As Social Critic "George Carlin" once said.  "We have bigger houses & small families"... "More conveniences, but less time"...."We have more degrees, but LESS sense"..."More knowledge, but LESS judgment".."More experts, yet MORE problems"...In other words, we're missing something; We're moving ahead...but, all while falling backwards"..

momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Define school and define shooting.  I know of at least one country in which a school had a shooting, one had an IED, some others shut down by local tribal leaders.  And that's all in one day.

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I wonder how these stats rate per capita with the other countries.

As to why.  I think there are a pluthora of reasons.  You hit on quite a few of them.  Economics probably has a lot to do with it as well.  If both parents have to work  extremely long days or multiple jobs to make ends meet, where is the time for the children?  With the divorce rate so high, kids being shifted back and forth from parent to parent, many (not all) unable to be civil with each other let alone their kids.  Healthcare is another issue, especially mental health.  Even if diagnosed, how do they pay for meds to help.  Then, that begs the question.  Are all these pharmacueticals (sp??) helping and hurting.

Oh, then there is this growing trend of "everyone has to win" bullcrap.  I only breeds a society with the inability to cope with life, be it good or bad.

I could go on.....

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I was curious about that too.  Maybe the topic should be about "violence" in schools and not just shootings.

Quoting momtimesx4:

Define school and define shooting.  I know of at least one country in which a school had a shooting, one had an IED, some others shut down by local tribal leaders.  And that's all in one day.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:27 PM
2 moms liked this

IMO its more based on the availability of weapons and parenting skills.  Maybe in countries with no guns...knife attacks at school are huge?  Regardless I think parenting or lack of parenting is the biggest issue

Kids are more and more left alone to parent themselves....the parents they do have like it that way.  Some parents mollycoddle their kids to the point of damaging them....we can thank PC for that and the touchy feely crowd.

Drugs are more and more ...normal...both illegal and prescription.  Parents who stress out go and get a little pill to make it all good rather than dealing with their brat kids.

Yeah Im being harsh...but my reality tells me parents are becoming softer and softer and less involved with their kids.  Common sense is rare in parenting these days.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I agree that today a lot of parents are just not doing their jobs as parents & you are NOT being harsh at all.  With the high unemployment rate, I'm sure there's a lot more parents home during day.  Where I live I see a lot of dad's home & not working.  So, I wouldn't necessarily call it a lack of parents being home. 

I believe I heard that in S. Africa, shootings are becoming a huge problem.  Even though the U.S. has more guns, there are more shootings in S. Africa, then the U.S.  (not school shootings, just shootings in general).

Quoting turtle68:

IMO its more based on the availability of weapons and parenting skills.  Maybe in countries with no guns...knife attacks at school are huge?  Regardless I think parenting or lack of parenting is the biggest issue

Kids are more and more left alone to parent themselves....the parents they do have like it that way.  Some parents mollycoddle their kids to the point of damaging them....we can thank PC for that and the touchy feely crowd.

Drugs are more and more ...normal...both illegal and prescription.  Parents who stress out go and get a little pill to make it all good rather than dealing with their brat kids.

Yeah Im being harsh...but my reality tells me parents are becoming softer and softer and less involved with their kids.  Common sense is rare in parenting these days.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:19 PM

There certainly is a lot of violence in schools as well, but I think the main & most dangerous thing our Country has going on is shootings at our schools.  I just saw on the news, two younger girls fighting.  Adults (not sure if it was their moms) were encouraging them on.  One of the girls was crying that she didn't want to fight.  She said "I'll get in trouble, the cops will arrest me"...Also, she said "I don't want to fight this girl, I like her".  CRAZY!! 

Quoting GotSomeKids:

I was curious about that too.  Maybe the topic should be about "violence" in schools and not just shootings.

Quoting momtimesx4:

LuvmyAiden
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:34 PM

This brings up several questions for me. I would love some good research on how gun free zones play in(because I know SOME other countries have them while others don't), the stats for ALL violent crime committed by minors and young adults(if it's up across the board in this countryor not). I have my theories and to be honest it boils down to shitty(I wanna be thier friend) parents and our PC society's refusal to punish the gulity. There are SO many social issues that plague us in the US and I think it is certainly a big manifestation of our issues that this keeps happening.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)