Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fox News Co-Host Bob Beckel Apologizes for Rape Remark: "It's a Horrible, Horrendous Issue"

Fox News co-host Bob Beckel apologized Wednesday for controversial remarks he made on Tuesday regarding the prevalence of rape on college campuses, Newsbusters reports.

On Tuesday's edition of Fox News' The Five, the liberal co-host asked "when was the last time you heard about a rape on campus?"

"What are you talking about?" co-host Eric Boiling responded. "It's rampant." Added co-host Dana Perino, "In particular, date rape on campus."

Yahoo reports that in 2010, the Department of Justice estimated that 25 percent of college women "will be victims of rape or attempted rape before they graduate within a four-year period." The study also estimated that women between the ages of 16 and 24, will experience rape "at a rate that's four times higher than  the assault rate of all women." In schools with more than 6,000 students "average one rape per day during the school year."

Beckel publicly apologized on the Wednesday edition of The Five for the comments he made the day prior. "It's a horrible, horrendous issue. And it's simply put, this, rape is rape. Whether it's date rape or it's somebody coming in off the campus trying to rape somebody else. I very strongly feel that way," he said. "And so, I just want to straighten the record out on that. I simply was trying to make -- there was not a distinction to make here. It simply was that  date rape is rape. And that is, by any other definition, rape is rape."

Beckel's intial remarks, and subsequent apology, all stemmed from a discussion on the proposal to ban concealed weapons on Colorado campuses. Democratic Colorado Rep. Joe Salazar was slammed by many after he argued on the state House floor in support of the ban, saying that otherwise individuals might fire their weapons prematurely or without the proper information. "It's why we have call boxes. It's why we have safe zones. That's why we have the whistles, because you just don't know who you're going to be shooting at. And you don't know if you feel like you're gonna be raped, or if you feel like someone's been following you around or if you feel like you're in trouble when you may actually not be, that you pop out that gun and you pop ... pop a round at somebody."

What do you think of Beckel's original comments? Was his apology enough?

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Replies (21-25):
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM

This

Quoting Bookwormy:

When conservatives say ignorant offensive crap on Fox, they often defend it. So I'm impressed that he took responsibility & apologized. It was disgusting & I'm not a fan of Fox for any of the crap they broadcast.

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Yeah, I guess I just would need to hear it said ... cause it sounded mostly ignorant and illinformed.  Not mean or like he doesn't believe it exists.

If he is saying that woman "claim" rape at college, but it's not *really* rape ... then he is an @sshole.  Either way, it's nice he apologized.  You don't see that often from Fox.  I will admit I have no idea who any of these people are ... I don't watch fox news.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Am I not getting what the big deal is?  His thought was that you don't really hear about rapes on campuses.  Did he say something beyond that that I'm not reading?  I get that he is misinformed.  I don't get why everyone is so mad.  Did he say that date rape isn't rape??  Cause that would be something to get up in arms about ... I'm confused.

I think his comment was sarcastic....like, it could be said: "does anyone hear about rapes on campus? "...BECAUSE they don't report them as often and they don't make the news even if they ARE reported to the cops. That's what I got from it. Then after he made the comment, the Fox guy ,Bolling,jumped all over it because he didn't "get it". Figures.

ANd then he apologized.

Who said this guy, on Fox, was a Democrat, ? SO what? Its kinda hard to believe that a Democrat would actually want to be a part of Fox News.

lga1965
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't watch Fox ( Faux News) either. I am surprised that this guy is a Democrat. and I don't think he is ignorant---he was saying "How often do you hear about rape on campus' Because even if it happens, often, nobody talks about it and he knows that..don't we all?

Quoting pansyprincess:

Yeah, I guess I just would need to hear it said ... cause it sounded mostly ignorant and illinformed.  Not mean or like he doesn't believe it exists.

If he is saying that woman "claim" rape at college, but it's not *really* rape ... then he is an @sshole.  Either way, it's nice he apologized.  You don't see that often from Fox.  I will admit I have no idea who any of these people are ... I don't watch fox news.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting pansyprincess:

Am I not getting what the big deal is?  His thought was that you don't really hear about rapes on campuses.  Did he say something beyond that that I'm not reading?  I get that he is misinformed.  I don't get why everyone is so mad.  Did he say that date rape isn't rape??  Cause that would be something to get up in arms about ... I'm confused.

I think his comment was sarcastic....like, it could be said: "does anyone hear about rapes on campus? "...BECAUSE they don't report them as often and they don't make the news even if they ARE reported to the cops. That's what I got from it. Then after he made the comment, the Fox guy ,Bolling,jumped all over it because he didn't "get it". Figures.

ANd then he apologized.

Who said this guy, on Fox, was a Democrat, ? SO what? Its kinda hard to believe that a Democrat would actually want to be a part of Fox News.

gammie
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM
  • The five are idiots I never liked that show only saw it couple of times, they showed how stupid they were in the first few minutes. They think they are funny but they are not!
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I must be missing something, I can not see what the big deal is

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)