Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How Safe is Raw Milk?

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:22 AM
  • 12 Replies

Anyone drink unpasteurized milk? Tell me all about it. What are the dangers? What are the benefits? 

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this

The dangers are well-documented.

The benefits are greatly overstated.

Since I don't have a cow in my own back yard, producing milk for ingestion well within the 'most likely safe' period of about 5 hours, I would never even consider risking this.

It's like breastmilk, really: if you don't know the source --and aren't getting it directly from the source (and I do mean 'directly') a great many of the very real benefits evaporate and the risks overtake them. The further from the source, the better hygenic treatment (like pasteurization) is, period.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Yeah we milked our own cows when I was a kid, but unless I knew the source I wouldn't drink raw milk. I could claim my cows were organic, hormone free, and all that, but how well do you know me to trust that's true?

I'll stick with pasteurised.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

We've only drank raw whole milk from Jersey cows. Naturally it depends on the health of the animal, and the housing of it as well. I haven't gotten sick from it in 54 years, so it's doubtful I'm going to die from it anytime soon. Raw milk can be left un-refridgerated for up to 5 days without any spoilage. My 2 year old Grandson drinks it when he comes here as well.

You can read the dangers and benefits all day long, but as with any research, you need to bounce one opinion off others to get a clear understanding.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

As with anything food or drink related, an awful lot depends on the cleanliness of the producers facilities and the precautions, etc. they have in place to avoid contamination. Years ago we lived in a place where we were able to purchase raw milk from a local dairy farmer. It was the best milk and I used the cream to make butter...the cream was also very useful as a remedy for minor burns and chapped lips.

When I was growing up, our milk was delivered in bottles by the milkman and always had cream on the top. It tasted way better than the milk we get these days.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I don't think it is very safe at all. 

I think that's why since Louie's process has been used, we live a little  heathier.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:47 AM
I've drank it most of my life. Never been sick from it, never died from it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:48 AM

My personal attitude towards food is that man cannot make better what nature has already produced.  By that thinking, raw milk is perfectly good in its natural state and pasturizing, skimming, and homogenizing can't do anything to it except make it not as good as it was originally.  However, milk is highly susceptible to contamination and the health of the cow greatly impacts the purity of her milk.  She needs good feed, mostly grass, and plenty of sunshine and if she has to hike her butt down to the barn from the back pasture every afternoon at 4, so much the better.  :-)

I don't drink milk right now.  The quality of what's in the stores is terrible and frankly, I don't trust anyone to produce my milk safely.  When I have a cow or goat, I will drink their milk raw.  In the meantime, no.

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:56 AM

It is like oysters and the sort you need to know the conditions you are getting it from. The scientifically substantiated benefit is that helps with allergies and asthma. (Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology in June 2006.)  The possible other benefit is a person who sells this will take extra care with their cows and not subject them to hormones and chemicals but then you have to know who is producing it. However, it can carry staph, e-coli, salmonella, listeria, some other things that cause food poisoning and TB. The risks are usually rare but once again if you do not personally go see the condition of the cows and their environment it is a nasty gamble. It does however taste better.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:59 AM
You need to extremely trust the source you get it from...

I drink raw milk at my Dad's because we milk our own cows so I KNOW for sure what those cows eat , where they sleep, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I grew up on it...and I'm still alive! LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)