Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Whole Foods removes chicken ad featuring Obama

Whole Foods removes chicken ad featuring Obama

By Pei-Sze Cheng, NBCNewYork.com

An Upper West Side Whole Foods has removed a sign that used a drawing of President Barack Obama to advertise a sale on chicken after complaints that the ad was offensive.

The sign outside the supermarket on Columbus Avenue and 97th Street featuring an apparent caricature of Obama advertising an upcoming sale on whole organic chicken outraged neighbor Woody Henderson.

"There are certain things that have been used to put down black people -- watermelon, fried chicken," he said.

Jason Nunez of the Bronx said, "Even if he's not the president, you're going to have an African American promoting the sale of chicken? They can do better than that."

Residents and passersby agreed the man in the sign looks like Obama but not all thought it was derogatory.

"Obviously it looks like the president, but I don't think it's racist," said Joseph Joshua.

A spokesman for Whole Foods said store artists create a variety of pop culture imagery to promote sales and events. The sign advertising the chicken was put up earlier in the week but taken down "once it was brought to our attention by a shopper that it may be perceived as offensive," said the spokesman.

"There was no disrespect meant at all," the spokesman said.

Henderson thinks the chain should take more responsibility. Another neighbor, Jeffrey Schaper, said, "I don't think you can find a more pro-Democratic neighborhood. They're sort of shooting themselves in the foot. It is pretty outrageous."

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Replies (11-18):
somuchlove4U
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM
See I don't see this as racism. I thought people associating blacks with chicken only happened in America. Two years ago we took a trip to Paris. My husband loves kfc so we hunted one down. While hubby ordered daughter and I found a seat. I kid you not we were the only white family in there. Everyone else was black.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM

If that was the case, wouldn't it make more sense to use Michelle Obama, since she is the one pushing for healthier foods in our schools, etc.? 

Quoting stormcris:

The health campaign perhaps

Quoting krysstizzle:

Why would you use Obama to advertise any kind of food? That's just so entirely bizarre....

krysstizzle
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:11 PM

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

since when do black people run the monopoly on liking fried chicken and watermelon? This lily white bitch likes it too. I do not care who advertises it!

maciymommieof3
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I totally agree.

Quoting glitterteaz:

since when do black people run the monopoly on liking fried chicken and watermelon? This lily white bitch likes it too. I do not care who advertises it!

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Why use the President in the first place?

I don't know the true motives of those behind this but either way, it seems kind of ridiculous.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:18 PM

UGH.  Racism is alive and well due to overly sensitive people calling racism for everything under the sun!

Why is it BAD to accociate fried chicken with blacks?  Just shows me where to find the best fried chicken dinner---from a black mama. 

When I want pizza I go to the Italians, when I want enchiladas I go to the Mexican mama's place.  SO WHAT that people think "black" for good "soul food".  So what!?  WHY is it racist?

I don't think too many Italian pizza makers are calling foul when people come to them for the best pizza.  Why should a black feel offended for making good chicken?

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Maybe they are using Obama because they associate him (and more-so his wife) with healthy, organic foods?  Would have made more sense to use MRS. Obama for their ads. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)