Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Emergency legislation opens bars early on St. Patrick's Day

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM
  • 15 Replies

Emergency legislation opens bars early on St. Patrick's Day

6:50 PM, Feb 20, 2013   |   0  comments
  • Email
  • Print
  • - A A A +

AUGUSTA, Maine (NEWS CENTER) - St. Patrick's Day falls on a Sunday this year, which means that under state law bars can not serve alcohol until 9:00 AM.

State Representative Barry Hobbins, of Saco, has proposed an emergency piece of legislation to change that.

Under Hobbins' bill, when St. Patrick's Day falls on Sunday, bars and restaurants would be allowed to serve alcohol starting at 6:00 AM.

Hobbins says the bill gives everyone a chuckle but bars actually stand to lose quite a bit of money if they're not open at those hours.

"It's fun, everybody says you're sponsoring 'The Irish Bill' and they're all giving me high fives," explains Rep. Hobbins, "but there's more to it than just the idea of consuming a Guiness before nine o'clock in the morning. There's a lot more to the bill."

Another law before the legislature would eliminate the blue law prohibiting the sale of liquor before 9:00 AM on Sunday entirely.

Supporters of the second measure say there are a lot of third shift workers out there for which 6:00 AM is dinnertime.

NEWS CENTER

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oddgirl
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Well it's good to see that some of our law makers have their priorities straight!

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Every little bit probably helps right now.

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Yes, that is an emergency! smh

CrazyLife1996
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Good ole St. Paddy's!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Who drinks at that time of the morning? Oh well at least it is an emergency

katy_kay08
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM

some self reflection may be in order if one find themselves in need of a drink before 9 am.  

4music
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I fail to see how would the bars lose quite a bit of money if state-wide they all open at the same time.  Do they think folks would cross state lines in lieu of waiting? Drink at home instead?  Maybe they stand to make more money by opening earlier, therefore being open longer, but they're not really losing money.

I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an empereror just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd put me away!
-Dennis
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Let's take a negative stereotype and promote it shall we?

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Just... wow...

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM

LMAO!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured