Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Selective Mutism?

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM
  • 5 Replies

I haven't come across this often, actually rarely, but now it's coming to me full force. Some of you know I'm working on my degree in special education and maybe I should know everything, but I have briefly seen this. Well now it's becoming a personal concern for my youngest son. 

He is literally non verbal in school, but test well above average on paper.He has always been quiet in school and a virtual chatter box at home. 2 months ago we moved and he changed schools. In his old school his teachers were all female while his new teacher is male. He has been bullied in the past and withdrew as a result. His new teacher is concerned and thinks he is being rude, which I've told him is not the case. He becomes like a brick wall, will avoid eye contact. From the research I've done he fits the bill. I am actively seeking help for my little man, I firmly feel it's better to be proactive then to do nothing. I have an appointment with the special educator tomorrow to see what action may need to be taken. I'm not an expert yet and not trying to self diagnose, but as a parent, you know when something just doesn't feel right. 

What I am asking, does anyone have any experience with Selective Mutism and how is your child doing? 

Thanks ladies. 

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
furbabymum
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM

And here I thought this was related to The Big Bang Theory.

joyfulmom30
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:11 PM

In a way I'm dealing with the same problem. My son's teacher patiently waits until he answers. The teacher doesn't take silent as an answer. My son is learning slowly to answer his teacher when she asks a question and with more than a one word answer too.

I found a website that might be on help to you: http://www.selectivemutism.org/

Denisethedaring
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:20 PM

My only experience with it is reading all the semi-autobiographical books by Torey L. Hayden, who was a special educator who focused on selective mutism...no personal experience, and I have no idea how true to life vs. fictionalized Hayden's stories were.

greenie63
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Thanks momma. I think one of the techniques I've reserached is making the child feel comfortable working one on one. Knowing how near to impossible that can be at times in schools, I'm thinking in between my classes I may come in his class. From what I'm finding it's a slow process. 

I wonder what is going through our children's minds, why do they feel anxiety? I came across that site as well, the one thing I disliked was paying for a website, a subscription fee. I've sent an email to one of my professors who may be able to give me more advice as well. Thanks momma and ((hugs)).

Quoting joyfulmom30:

In a way I'm dealing with the same problem. My son's teacher patiently waits until he answers. The teacher doesn't take silent as an answer. My son is learning slowly to answer his teacher when she asks a question and with more than a one word answer too.

I found a website that might be on help to you: http://www.selectivemutism.org/

greenie63
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Thanks momma!

Quoting Denisethedaring:

My only experience with it is reading all the semi-autobiographical books by Torey L. Hayden, who was a special educator who focused on selective mutism...no personal experience, and I have no idea how true to life vs. fictionalized Hayden's stories were.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN