Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Yes, another 'gay' post. I just don't understand..........

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM
  • 45 Replies
1 mom liked this

Some one said something today and honestly, I just am having a hard time understanding.

Can you guys help me out here.  

She talked about how much things have changed.  She mentioned how so many people seem to be gay, they are all coming out of the woodwork, out of no where the past several years.  That she has a hard time understanding why any one would want to do that.

She is in her 60s.  She has been around for a long time. I told her how, years ago, when the news about Rock Hudson came out, I was not surprised that he was gay.  She asked me how I could not have been, it was such a shock!  Because my mother 'dated' him many years ago and he was told to 'date' women.  He was told he could never be who he was and have a career, a real life.

She didn't believe me.  He was never gay, he just wanted to get in to something that wasn't the norm and ended up dying from it.

Some one mentioned how those gay people have been around since the dawn of time.  They are just people, like she is.  No, they are not.  She truly believes the truth of the matter is that there are so many gay people now because they just don't know what else to do with themselves and they are all mentally ill in some way.

How can any one not realize that the gay person sitting next to you is no different than you are??  This isn't some fad that seems to have picked up steam.  People are who they are.

Amazes me, the complete ignorance and the complete lack of even attempting to comprehend that thinking in such a manner is so far removed from reality. 

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Clearly if it has existed since the writing of Leviticus, it's not new.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Some people aren't too astute. Whadayagonnado?
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Willful ignorance.
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm no help...willful ignorance confuses me as well...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bookwormy:

Clearly if it has existed since the writing of Leviticus, it's not new.

I wish I had thought of this.  

However, she may very well have gone on and on about what a horrible sin it is.......being who you are.  How dare any one be who they are.  Going backwards does nothing for the ignorant.  They refuse to move forward and don't want others to either.

Honestly though, I did not want to get in to the whole 'sin' aspect of it with her.  It is more than that.  Some people are just truly blissful in their ignorance.

I do think, however, that many people are mortified at the gay folks because they were taught that some one gay is far less than they are, they are ill in ways and it is not acceptable.  They deserve less than based on who they love.

Sounds familiar, only based on the color of some one's skin.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Some people like their isle of denial

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:37 PM
2 moms liked this

It's nothing new. Greeks believed men were for love women were for making babies.

ETA: I should say ancient Greeks.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I have no idea. I just know there seem to be just as many closed minded people as open minded people.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I have no idea. I just know there seem to be just as many closed minded people as open minded people.

If I had to throw a guess out there..........in my community, there are far more open minded people than closed minded.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:44 PM
3 moms liked this
I honestly think a lot of people have difficulty getting past the sexual act itself. I don't understand it but it seems to come down to that. I have gay and lesbian friends. Those that are parents have the same struggles and joys heterosexual parents do, they have careers, homes, religion, they're kind and loving people and productive members of society. They don't harm anyone, they're just living their lives like 'the rest of us.' I don't understand why anyone could not like them based solely on the gender of whom they love and are intimate with. It's very ...disheartening.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)