Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Plan B Found to NOT Stop Implantation

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM
  • 9 Replies
This is not a blog! I just heard it on NPR. The entire program can be read or heard here:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/02/21/172595689/morning-after-pills-dont-cause-abortion-studies-say

But it turns out, at least when it comes to Plan B, there is now fairly definitive research that shows the only way it works is by preventing ovulation, and therefore, fertilization.

"We've learned a lot about how these drugs work," says Diana Blithe, a biochemist and contraceptive researcher at the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. "I think it's time to revise our speculations about how things might work in view of data that show how things do work."

For example, says Blithe, a study published just last year led the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics to declare that Plan B does not inhibit implantation. And some abortion opponents in the medical community are beginning to accept that conclusion.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM
4 moms liked this
Good luck. Some groups won't be able to regroup if they have to drop some of their carefully crafted propaganda misstating the uses of hormonal birth control. I don't think this news will trickle down very quickly in the pro birth camps.
kameka
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I still don't understand how things get past the FDA without this info.
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I haven't read it and I don't want to listen to an entire program.  But I think it probably depends on where a woman is in her cycle if it will prevent implantation.  

But if it does not thicken the uterine lining as previously thought, there is something more to be concerned about.  Plan B is very similar to regular hormonal birth control, just a higher dose.  If it doesn't work like previously thought, then it stands to reason regular hormonal birth control does not work as previously thought either.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM
It only prevents ovulation. Since it is not taken during the whole cycle, it doesn't work like regular BCP. If the woman has ovulated already, it will not prevent fertilization or implantation. The research also did not change our knowledge of BCP I don't believe.

Its a short article.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I haven't read it and I don't want to listen to an entire program.  But I think it probably depends on where a woman is in her cycle if it will prevent implantation.  

But if it does not thicken the uterine lining as previously thought, there is something more to be concerned about.  Plan B is very similar to regular hormonal birth control, just a higher dose.  If it doesn't work like previously thought, then it stands to reason regular hormonal birth control does not work as previously thought either.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Thanks for the link. Good point for discussion.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM

bump

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Just one of the reasons I have a hard time with those under age being handed any drug without parental consent.  Not that all parents would realize that this drug, along with many others, may not be as effective as some believe.  There are always risks with medications. 

This particular drug has never sat well with me.  

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I personally cannot take hormonal BC. The side effects are terrible for me. Last one I tried I was having symptoms of a stroke. I would hate for someone to take this and get hurt by it. Especially a teen. I know I'm in the minority. But still.

I also don't like how these hormones are procured. Horses are kept perpetually pregnant and wear diapers/catheters and are made to stand in stalls for days on end. It's cruel. I know this is what we have for right now, I just think we can do better. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN