Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Man allegedly threatens to sue woman who helped him get his dog

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:15 PM
  • 26 Replies

http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/update-man-allegedly-threatens-to-sue-woman-who-helped-him-get-his-dog

Man, dog reuinted: A man reunited with his dog thanks to a stranger is now allegedly threatening to sue her. IMAGE

Courtesy of Maria Sanchez. Man, dog reuinted: A man reunited with his dog thanks to a stranger is now allegedly threatening to sue her.

Dave Thomas has allegedly threatened to sue the stranger who collected donations so he could get his dog out of a shelter.

A man reunited with his dog thanks to the kindness of a stranger is now allegedly threatening to sue her, Los Angeles' KTLA and other media reported.

The woman known as Maria Sanchez on Facebook said she collected donations to get Dave Thomas' dog out of a shelter.

According to KABC, Thomas was arrested Friday for failure to appear in court for two traffic violations. The police had animal control take his 2-year-old pit bull mix, Buzz, to the San Bernardino City Animal Shelter.

KABC reported that Thomas needed to pay more than $400 to get his dog back, but had only $6.

Sanchez, a dog lover and photographer, posted a picture of Thomas and his dog at the shelter on her Facebook account. The image, which shows Thomas sitting on the concrete floor while Buzz reaches a paw out from under a cage, quickly went viral and donations poured in.

But now Thomas supposedly aims to sue Sanchez, according to the LA news station, she said in an interview with MSN.

Sanchez confirmed that the Facebook account is hers and that she helped raise donations to get the dog out of the shelter. She said she got a call from KTLA Channel 5 telling her Thomas wanted to sue her. KTLA reported that it got a call from Thomas, who supposedly claimed Sanchez was withholding donations she got for Buzz, the dog.

On Facebook, Sanchez said she transferred $842.07 into her bank account to reimburse herself for shelter fees, vet fees and supplies from PetSmart that'd she'd put on her personal credit card. According to KTLA, the donations far exceeded the $400 shelter fee.

She said she hasn't spoken to Thomas since the incident. "His wife wouldn't let me talk to him," she said. She said he tried calling her back, but she hung up and does not plan to speak with him in the future.

"He got what we raised the money for and the rest is going to be donated to the other animals in the shelter or refunded" to donors, she said. "He's not going to get another dime."

Sanchez doubts Thomas will follow through with the threatened lawsuit. "He couldn't even get his dog out of the shelter," she said. "How is he going to sue me?"

Sanchez confirmed that a YouTube video of a voicemail purported to be Thomas threatening to sue her was posted by her. Earlier in the week, the same YouTube account also posted a video of Thomas and Buzz being reunited.

She called the entire situation "really unfortunate. You couldn't even imagine this was going to happen."

She said when she drove Thomas and his dog back to their home she told him that the remaining donations would be used for other dogs in the shelter.

"He just sat there nodding like this sounds like a good plan," Sanchez said.

She said in the days since the incident she's gotten a flood of emails supporting her and asking about other dogs she's posted about on her Facebook page.

"I just want everyone to switch their focus away from him," Sanchez said. "I just want to go back to doing what I was doing when I saw him there, which was taking pictures to share on Facebook of the dogs that are homeless."

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Wow, how sad!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Dudes a dick head. Does he have a drug problem?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RLT2
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Nice, this is what discourages people from helping. What a douche.

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:57 PM

If this is true, it's just another example of why people don't want to get involed with helping other people. 

redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

what an ass......

lga1965
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:14 PM

No good deed goes unpunished.....

What a jerk.

gizmo538
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

When people criticize other people for not getting involved, just standing there while something bad happens ... this is why they don't get involved, because they're afraid of getting sued.

Ang9403
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:54 PM
What an ungrateful asshole. When I first read this story it actually made me feel really bad for the guy. Now he does this....greedy people, all they care about is money.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:57 PM

What a jerk. She could have simply ignored him and his dog. It was a pit bull mix so it likely would have been put down if not for her efforts. Shame on that guy. He should be thanking her, not threatening.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:26 AM
2 moms liked this
I wonder of the wife is the one trying to sue and not him... When interviewed he seemed so thankful and grateful and wanted to help the other shelter dogs. I wonder if the wife (she was disgruntled to say the least) wanted the rest of the money the lady raised...?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)