Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Woman shot by oven while trying to cook waffles

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM
  • 86 Replies
1 mom liked this

Woman shot by oven while trying to cook waffles

An 18-year-old Florida woman was only slightly injured this week when she was shot by her friend's oven, police said.

Aalaya Walker was visiting a friend in St. Petersburg Monday when they decided they wanted some late-night waffles, The Tampa Bay Times reported. So Walker began preheating the oven — unaware that her friend, JJ Sandy, 25, was storing a magazine from his .45-caliber Glock 21 in the oven.

The magazine exploded about 9 p.m. ET, spraying casing fragments at high speed and striking Walker. She managed to pick some of the fragments out of her leg and chest and then took a bus to the hospital, where she was treated and released.

Sandy told police he'd stored the gun in a drawer but had stored the magazine in the oven. Four rounds were in the 13-capacity magazine, he said.

Gun and ammunition references indicate that the .45-caliber bullets commonly used in Glocks can explode at temperatures as low as 280 degrees — or even lower if they've been exposed to heat for a long time, which can degrades the structure. 

Sandy "stated that he does not have a temperature gauge on the oven so he estimates the temperature based on how far the knob is turned," according to the police report, which was obtained by the Times. "I observed that the inside of the oven was damaged."

In a memorable 2007 episode, the popular science TV show "Mythbusters" found in several experiments that bullets can explode "once the oven was hot enough." 

"Without a gun barrel to contain and direct the propellant gases, the bullets did not develop enough speed to pierce the glass or steel portions of the oven. The shell casings actually caused more damage than the bullets," it found — essentially reproducing what police said happened Monday.

Sandy wasn't charged because he had a proper concealed weapons permit, The Tampa Tribune reported.

SOURCE

Guns don't kill.. the ovens do.

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tscritch
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM
4 moms liked this

Why would you store your bullets in the oven?

Awakened1
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Ridiculous
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Quoting tscritch:

Why would you store your bullets in the oven?

I am not sure.... however, I question the mental capacity of anyone who does.

lga1965
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:02 AM
OMG. Shot by the oven. Perfect place to store your magazine. Stupid. Maybe too stupid to have weapons and ammo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

There is no way to stop the stupids for owning guns.  I wish there was. 

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting pansyprincess:

There is no way to stop the stupids for owning guns.  I wish there was. 

so do I. 

Mrs.wilcox01
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Sorry but I laughed
babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I am guessing he stored it in his oven because he is probably a single man that never cooks? Although either way stupid place obviously he never watched Myth Busters.
gammie
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Lol Thank God she did not die!

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Who the *#&$^%*$* puts bullets in an OVEN??!?!?!?!?!??!?!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN