Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Lets talk hotel etiquette.

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:46 PM
  • 74 Replies
2 moms liked this

I have been 'living' in this hotel room for close to two weeks now.  Three weeks to go.

I clean up my room every day.  If my trash over flows prior to the room being serviced, I take it out myself.  I do not leave trash any where else and I do not leave a mess in the small kitchenette area.

I do not request new towels each day.  Heck, the washer/dryer is free so I don't mind washing them myself as the bleach smell can irritate my senses. 

I will leave items on my bed every other day, or so, as if you do they will not change your sheets.  There is nothing going on in this bed other than a few crumbs.  No need to waste water and such by changing and washing the sheets every single day.

I leave notes for the ladies who clean the room.  They love it!!!  On the mirror in the bathroom, on the table.

I even left the cleaning woman a tip, ahead of time.

Now, I have seen the rooms of a few other people here with me.  If that is how they live at home I would never want to visit.  How they can leave their rooms like that is beyond me.  Trash every where, their things are strewn all over the damn place.

Their mindset is that the maid will take care of it for them.  Yet they complain when that 'maid' is in their room cleaning up after them when they return to their rooms.

They want those clean towels each and every day and leave notes saying that.  

The thought of leaving a tip for the 'maids' doing their job is beyond them.

What the hell did their parents teach them!!!!!  Common decency and respect for yourself and others is not present in this situation.  It's all about me, me, me.  

I do not know how some of them have made it to the level they are in the company.  How do they 'manage' their employees when they are so rude and are looking at this as some vacation on the company's dime?

Ugh!

And I am the one who is wrong, ya know.......because I am older.  Hilarious!  

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Pigs....lol

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Woodbabe:

Pigs....lol

Hahahahaha!  

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Idk I am somewhere in between. I have worked in a hotel and done housekeeping so I understand what goes into it. However, I do want the towels everyday because I know it is part of what I paid for. I want my coffee replaced and the cups and such because likewise I know I paid for them to be. However, I do not leave a pigsty in the room. The maids are to come in and empty my trash can and replace those items I mentioned. They are not there to pick up after me or let me live my rock and roll fantasy. Maids have a lot of rooms to get through and complaining they are there when you return is stupid. Be happy they are doing their job. People seem to often be under the impression that they come first before all others when it comes to some sort of service this is just so far removed from reality I wonder how they managed to make it to adulthood. You get serviced in a prescribed order that is around a tight schedule not first because somehow you think the world should work that way (all general yous).

Hops of soap box with the best imitation of Jerry Lee Lewis I can manage.

SuperChicken
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I'm generally tidy, but I use a new towel every day at home and expect to when I'm in a hotel as well.  And yes, I like clean sheets.    And fresh glasses and cups.   But I tip, usually daily although I have forgotten, so they know they're appreciated.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:01 PM
2 moms liked this

I've often wondered the same thing. When staying in hotels for weddings and such, I try to keep our roomas clean and organized as possible and I am totally shocked and disgusted when I go into other family member's rooms because they always look trashed. I'd be embarrassed to have a maid come in and see a mess. They're not slaves and I don't expect them to clean up after me beyond dusting, vacuuming, changing the trash if necessary, cleaning the bathroom and changing my bedding if neededbut some people think they should pick up everything  that's lying around- their makeup and personal hygiene products, undergarments and clothing, food and trash that's left all over the place...

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Quoting stormcris:

Idk I am somewhere in between. I have worked in a hotel and done housekeeping so I understand what goes into it. However, I do want the towels everyday because I know it is part of what I paid for. I want my coffee replaced and the cups and such because likewise I know I paid for them to be. However, I do not leave a pigsty in the room. The maids are to come in and empty my trash can and replace those items I mentioned. They are not there to pick up after me or let me live my rock and roll fantasy. Maids have a lot of rooms to get through and complaining they are there when you return is stupid. Be happy they are doing their job. People seem to often be under the impression that they come first before all others when it comes to some sort of service this is just so far removed from reality I wonder how they managed to make it to adulthood. You get serviced in a prescribed order that is around a tight schedule not first because somehow you think the world should work that way (all general yous).

There is a little sticker, asking people to consider using their towels more than once.  I don't see any thing wrong with that.  I get what you are saying, however, in that you pay for it.  

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I always tidy up before I leave my room in the morning!

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting stormcris:

There is a little sticker, asking people to consider using their towels more than once.  I don't see any thing wrong with that.  I get what you are saying, however, in that you pay for it.  

Alright then I would consider it. I just have not stayed in a hotel such as that before. By all means if they ask it means they are trying to keep cost down I would think and I would want to help do that because I love saving money.

ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM

For my 21st birthday, we rented a hotel room for two nights and we definitly trashed the place. I mean really trashed the place. I  forewarned the staff of the party and we also left the maid(s) a $200 tip. I wouldn't make a mess and not AT LEAST leave a tip.

Usually when I go to a hotel, I ask for new towels daily and a roll of trash bags to be put in the bottom of the can. I ask not to have the bed sheets changed, or the room cleaned. I bag up the trash, they take it and leave new towels. And I always leave a tip when I leave.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:42 PM

We always straighten up the room before we leave in the morning to go sightseeing or whatever.  A room that's easier to clean is usually cleaned better in my experience, and of course it's always easier to find your stuff if it's not strewn all over the place. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN