Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O from the felony for stealing Oreos. Should theft not be prosecuted sometimes?

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:41 PM
  • 42 Replies

Should it depend on what it is or who does it or who they steal from?

A few posters seem to think prosecuting the woman who confessed to stealing is a waste of time.  Do we only want to prosecute people who do something violent?  Should a drunk driver that injures no one not be punished?  What about someone who embezzles? 

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GOBryan
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Well.. there are levels of convictions based on how much the stolen item cost and whether whoever owned it wants to prosecute or not. Because a drunk driver was lucky enough not to hurt someone THAT time, doesn't mean they won't kill someone in the future and the truth is that if they did it once, they've likely done it many times before and think nothing of stopping until someone's dead. 

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this
It is a crime therefore they should be punished. I do think a person who steps forward and admits to it should get a lesser sentence, provided that they confessed on their own.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:01 PM
2 moms liked this

When someone is stealing a loaf of bread to feed their children..no I don't think they should go to jail. When somone is stealing junk food...lock her up!

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:03 PM
2 moms liked this

IMO a drunk driver that kills someone should be prosecuted for premeditated homicide.

Quoting GOBryan:

Well.. there are levels of convictions based on how much the stolen item cost and whether whoever owned it wants to prosecute or not. Because a drunk driver was lucky enough not to hurt someone THAT time, doesn't mean they won't kill someone in the future and the truth is that if they did it once, they've likely done it many times before and think nothing of stopping until someone's dead. 

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Theft is not a victimless crime. When people steal from stores they drive the cost up for everyone else and often keep the employees from greater payouts or raises.

I don't see a benefit in prosecuting for a pack of gum, but a fine and a record is often a deterrent.

Stealing food to feed your children is completely different in my book. That should be dealt with by providing that person with resources to get help. If they continue to steal and not seek out resources available then prosecute them. Some people don't know what is available to them and they are desperate.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:49 PM
5 moms liked this

Obviously after getting caught for the cookies, they should be waterboarded until they confess to bigger things, like cakes. Then they should be put in maximum security prison, and if they even so much as look at someone elses chow, they should get solitary confinement. Most likely this behaviour will land them on death row...but we can imagine what her last meal request will be, that THAT is what's going to break the system, the amount of junk food for her last meal. The mode of death will be to inject 100% GMO-free and organic food through her veins. Then we can wait for the movie to come out on Lifetime.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Okay.

But she has been stealing for 8 years.   Consistantly, constantly, and regularly.

So, she shouldn't be prosecuted for all she has stolen?  She confessed to the 7 months of stealing at the current store.

Quoting EireLass:

Obviously after getting caught for the cookies, they should be waterboarded until they confess to bigger things, like cakes. Then they should be put in maximum security prison, and if they even so much as look at someone elses chow, they should get solitary confinement. Most likely this behaviour will land them on death row...but we can imagine what her last meal request will be, that THAT is what's going to break the system, the amount of junk food for her last meal. The mode of death will be to inject 100% GMO-free and organic food through her veins. Then we can wait for the movie to come out on Lifetime.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this

They can put a mark on her without having to spend thousands of your dollars to prosecute and house her in federal prison. Your money don't forget. If they just do that, when she applies for another job, and they do a check, it'll come up, and she'll have opportunity to explain...or not get hired. That is punishment that fits the crime. And of course, then your money will be given to her through welfare, because she will then be unemployable.

When someone is tossed in jail, they don't stick all the cookie eaters with like kind, they get put in with all the riff-raff. Especially if you have a felony conviction. Does a cookie eater really belong with a child murderer? Do they really belong with all those that made meth labs?

She could be a stellar parent, she could be a super teachers aide, voluntarily. She could be a nice volunteer for senior citizens. But she ate the cookie, so we must throw her in jail.

I am not without sin, so I'm hesitant to throw the first stone.

Quoting talia-mom:

Okay.

But she has been stealing for 8 years.   Consistantly, constantly, and regularly.

So, she shouldn't be prosecuted for all she has stolen?  She confessed to the 7 months of stealing at the current store.

Quoting EireLass:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:16 PM

It doesn't cost thousands to prosecute.

Why should these people be excused from their crimes?  Walmart sucks and sells crap?

I haven't said she needs to be in federal prison and I have not seen anything that says she should be.

She is a selfish thief.   Quit Walmart if they pay you so little.

Quoting EireLass:

They can put a mark on her without having to spend thousands of your dollars to prosecute and house her in federal prison. Your money don't forget. If they just do that, when she applies for another job, and they do a check, it'll come up, and she'll have opportunity to explain...or not get hired. That is punishment that fits the crime. And of course, then your money will be given to her through welfare, because she will then be unemployable.

When someone is tossed in jail, they don't stick all the cookie eaters with like kind, they get put in with all the riff-raff. Especially if you have a felony conviction. Does a cookie eater really belong with a child murderer? Do they really belong with all those that made meth labs?

She could be a stellar parent, she could be a super teachers aide, voluntarily. She could be a nice volunteer for senior citizens. But she ate the cookie, so we must throw her in jail.

I am not without sin, so I'm hesitant to throw the first stone.

Quoting talia-mom:

Okay.

Quoting EireLass:

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this

It doesn't cost thousands? Really? Not only does it cost the taxpayers money for the Judge, but also the court stenographer, the guards, and her public defender. Who do you think pays for this? And why do you think it doesn't cost thousands? Public defenders get a set fee per 'client'. And it is in the thousands.

I'm not saying excuse her crime, I'm saying it's hardly worthy of a felony.

You don't get to say she needs to be in federal prison or not...the fact that she is charged with a felony brings it there.

She's probably as selfish as most people on earth today.

Sounds like you're not familiar with the unemployment rate.

Typically people on here squawk pretty loudly about their tax dollars going to wasteful things....the PA system, stupid waste of money for petty crimes, etc.

Quoting talia-mom:

It doesn't cost thousands to prosecute.

Why should these people be excused from their crimes?  Walmart sucks and sells crap?

I haven't said she needs to be in federal prison and I have not seen anything that says she should be.

She is a selfish thief.   Quit Walmart if they pay you so little.

Quoting EireLass:

They can put a mark on her without having to spend thousands of your dollars to prosecute and house her in federal prison. Your money don't forget. If they just do that, when she applies for another job, and they do a check, it'll come up, and she'll have opportunity to explain...or not get hired. That is punishment that fits the crime. And of course, then your money will be given to her through welfare, because she will then be unemployable.When someone is tossed in jail, they don't stick all the cookie eaters with like kind, they get put in with all the riff-raff. Especially if you have a felony conviction. Does a cookie eater really belong with a child murderer? Do they really belong with all those that made meth labs?She could be a stellar parent, she could be a super teachers aide, voluntarily. She could be a nice volunteer for senior citizens. But she ate the cookie, so we must throw her in jail.I am not without sin, so I'm hesitant to throw the first stone.

Quoting talia-mom:

Okay.But she has been stealing for 8 years.   Consistantly, constantly, and regularly.So, she shouldn't be prosecuted for all she has stolen?  She confessed to the 7 months of stealing at the current store.

Quoting EireLass:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN