Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Behind Bars

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM
  • 78 Replies

Poll

Question: Should mothers be able to keep their babies with them behind bars?

Options:

Yes

No

Do not know

up to one year

three years

until they are out

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 90

View Results

Do you think women should be able to keep their  babies with them behind bars? If so how long?

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
x_Starr_x
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM
some prisons do allow it but only select few
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tinnaa2000
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM

BUMP!

hazel1922
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Im half and half.
GOBryan
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:28 PM
5 moms liked this

I don't think it's an appropriate place for a child to start it's beginning years. I would imagine that there's potential dangers in there as well. No the mother and child shouldn't be separated on an average but she probably shouldn't have done whatever it was to go to jail in the first place. Doesn't sound like she thought about her baby when she would have broken whatever law. Of course, it also depends on the crime. 

nelliesmommy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:28 PM

If they are in prison for a non violent crime, yes, I think they should be able to keep their child, up to one year.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:32 PM
7 moms liked this
I always have supported the idea of not taking an entirely penal approach to criminal justice. Honestly we have one of the worst prison systems in the world, as far as terms and reoffending goes. With the way a crime follows you, barring employment and housing opportunities, plus the lack of rehab programs, we make it so that an ex con is almost guaranteed to go back to crime

But programs like this are a good step. They are very strict on who gets in, and they have shown that the women who participate do better outside of prison than women who have to give up their infants. And the children actually do better as well.
I get that some people think that prison is just for punishment, but that mentality really is hurting those who really want a life after they pay their dues and want to make a positive change. A totally penal mentality makes that hard. So I fully support these programs...maybe if they start to see how well these go, they will look into other rehabilitation geared programs behind bars
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM
That's generally one of the requirements.

Quoting nelliesmommy:

If they are in prison for a non violent crime, yes, I think they should be able to keep their child, up to one year.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Generally they are provided a special ward that doesn't look like prison. They get donated items (they don't get to keep) to make a nice nursery" are given daily chores to do, and often do rotations caring for the other babies in the program, plus are given education opportunities and parenting classes. Its always easy to say that if they loved their child they would not offend, but I think that is a little unfair. This program helps them to a new start so that they won't be as likely to go back

Quoting GOBryan:

I don't think it's an appropriate place for a child to start it's beginning years. I would imagine that there's potential dangers in there as well. No the mother and child shouldn't be separated on an average but she probably shouldn't have done whatever it was to go to jail in the first place. Doesn't sound like she thought about her baby when she would have broken whatever law. Of course, it also depends on the crime. 

tinnaa2000
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM

BUMP!

opal10161973
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope, not ever.  What are we going to do if we allow that?  Will the fathers also be able to do this?  It should be equally NO.  If you want to spend time with your kids, then you don't commit a crime.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured