Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why is the "n" word such a bad word? What does it mean? What are the definitions of these words? "n" word; cracker; c*nt; bi*ch

Posted by   + Show Post

This is sort of a spin off from the post about white people using the "n" word.  In that thread the word "cracker" was mentioned as a comparable word to the "n" word.  This idea made me wonder if people truly understand the definitions of various slang and insulting words.  I have a feeling many people do not understand the actual definitions because if they did they would not use the words so freely. 

One example is the "n" word.  Many people think it means ignorant.  If it really meant ignorant why would so many people flip out over being called this word? Why wouldn't we call "ignorant" the "i" word?

Here goes, what are the definitions of these words?

"n" word

cracker

c*nt

bi*ch

Feel free to add other words you feel are misunderstood and I will add them to the op.

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Replies (11-20):
survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Quoting survivorinohio:

The n word indicated contempt and hate for people of color and I have heard it used for all shades of brown people:(

Cracker is a white person or something to eat or a crack head.

Cunt means Cant Understand Normal Thinking generally in a feminine sense it is also slang for vagina.

Bitch is a versatile term that while it is technically a femake dog it is also thought of in many other lights both favorable and unfavorable.  Bitch can mean an unreasonable female, a whiny male, a strong female or a way of venting.

Bitch can also mean it was difficult to do.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

0Kit0
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Well it didn't work. I think in a post like this,you have to put it all out there just make sure you don't attack anyone AND that it's in a group where a discussion can occur without the nonsense.

I didn't know cracker had such meaning. Something for me to look up. Thanks!

But how many black people do you know who feel white people owe them something? I ask because whenever race comes up on cm,it's almost inevitable that some white person will say that. I honestly don't know any black people hung up on white people owing them something. I wonder if that is some lingering concept held by some white people without habing any factual evidence to base it on.

Quoting MommyTo5Boys:

And the meaning of cracker is much much worse also, I just toned down the meanings of both as to not offend anyone of either race.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting MommyTo5Boys:

Here are my thoughs on that (as posted in the other thread)

I feel that to me (as a white person) being called a Cracker by an AA is just as offensive as if I called them a 'N' (which I would never do by the way, I was just trying to make a point of how offensive that word is). 
Both words bring us back to the time of slavery. One is a horrible word used to degrade AAs and make them feel inferior. The other (imo) is just as offensive because it also brings us back to the time of slavery but is used as a derogatory term for whites, making them feel as if they owe AA something because of the way that our ancestors (people that we have never met and are nothing like) treated their ancestors (people that they have never met and are nothing like). 

Both are used as dergoatory term with a meaning that is racist, both words are used by other races to try and degrade the race they are speaking of. 

I guess I just don't understand why calling some one a 'uneducated slave' is worse than calling someone a 'heartless person who controls and beats others'.

Sorry but they are both just as derogatory to me.

If I thought the n word meant simply "uneducated slave" I would agree with you.  However, I think the actual meaning of the n word is much, much worse.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
0Kit0
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:36 PM
2 moms liked this
I think the thing about defining slang is that it is ever changing,has different meanings in different groups and can still change based on context.

The word ignorant has its own issues because it appears most people don't know the definition andbare just happy to use it as an insult.

Good post.
DestinyRoseLC
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Actually I know quite a few people that think that way but they are in their 50's. I have heard it often and I think the mentality is sad cause it hold people back in life.

Quoting 0Kit0:

Well it didn't work. I think in a post like this,you have to put it all out there just make sure you don't attack anyone AND that it's in a group where a discussion can occur without the nonsense.

But how many black people do you know who feel white people owe them something? I ask because whenever race comes up on cm,it's almost inevitable that some white person will say that. I honestly don't know any black people hung up on white people owing them something. I wonder if that is some lingering concept held by some white people without habing any factual evidence to base it on.

Quoting MommyTo5Boys:

And the meaning of cracker is much much worse also, I just toned down the meanings of both as to not offend anyone of either race.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting MommyTo5Boys:

I feel that to me (as a white person) being called a Cracker by an AA is just as offensive as if I called them a 'N' (which I would never do by the way, I was just trying to make a point of how offensive that word is). 
Both words bring us back to the time of slavery. One is a horrible word used to degrade AAs and make them feel inferior. The other (imo) is just as offensive because it also brings us back to the time of slavery but is used as a derogatory term for whites, making them feel as if they owe AA something because of the way that our ancestors (people that we have never met and are nothing like) treated their ancestors (people that they have never met and are nothing like). 

Both are used as dergoatory term with a meaning that is racist, both words are used by other races to try and degrade the race they are speaking of. 

I guess I just don't understand why calling some one a 'uneducated slave' is worse than calling someone a 'heartless person who controls and beats others'.

If I thought the n word meant simply "uneducated slave" I would agree with you.  However, I think the actual meaning of the n word is much, much worse.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me.

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I find it interesting that there is only one you feel comfortable spelling out.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Um, there are many blacks who believe they are owed reparations. Google it.

Quoting 0Kit0:

Quoting MommyTo5Boys:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting MommyTo5Boys:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JCB911
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I learned something new today.  I never knew that is where the term "cracker" came from.  It makes sense though.  I knew it was a mean name for whites but I could see how that would be WAY more offensive, now that I know the meaning behind it.

Quoting DestinyRoseLC:

Cracker is a word used to label one of light skin whom uses their whip referring to slavery lashings and animal herding. some would say it is racist to use it, however I dont believe it is imo.

CafeMom Tickers

0Kit0
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Google has a lot of things. I need something more solid than Google.

It's no different than there are whites who feel blacks are beneath them. There are groups that believe those things but its not enough to try and make it mainstream. So it takes me back to my question, how many do you know?

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting 0Kit0:

Quoting MommyTo5Boys:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting MommyTo5Boys:

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:05 PM
If you want to believe the call for reparations is some minor Little fad, that is up to you. I do not care to waste my time trying to change your mind.

Quoting 0Kit0:

Google has a lot of things. I need something more solid than Google.

It's no different than there are whites who feel blacks are beneath them. There are groups that believe those things but its not enough to try and make it mainstream. So it takes me back to my question, how many do you know?

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting 0Kit0:

Quoting MommyTo5Boys:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting MommyTo5Boys:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)