Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why is the "n" word such a bad word? What does it mean? What are the definitions of these words? "n" word; cracker; c*nt; bi*ch

Posted by   + Show Post

This is sort of a spin off from the post about white people using the "n" word.  In that thread the word "cracker" was mentioned as a comparable word to the "n" word.  This idea made me wonder if people truly understand the definitions of various slang and insulting words.  I have a feeling many people do not understand the actual definitions because if they did they would not use the words so freely. 

One example is the "n" word.  Many people think it means ignorant.  If it really meant ignorant why would so many people flip out over being called this word? Why wouldn't we call "ignorant" the "i" word?

Here goes, what are the definitions of these words?

"n" word

cracker

c*nt

bi*ch

Feel free to add other words you feel are misunderstood and I will add them to the op.

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Replies (21-30):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Quoting DestinyRoseLC:

The n word simply means one of dark skin, however, being that for years it was said to those that were abused as a label to make one feel less than or worthless it became a fire word. newer generations began referring to themselves as this label to simply spit in the face of those who tried to degrate them and kill their spirits.

Cracker is a word used to label one of light skin whom uses their whip referring to slavery lashings and animal herding. some would say it is racist to use it, however I dont believe it is imo.

C.NT itself is not a bad word, people used it in context to insult people the same way as pussy is not a bad word but people twisted to make a person feel weak, allowing one to walk all over you, or have no backbone.

Bitch is a female dog. So I think anyone who is called a bitch wouldnt be happy about it, whether the word is used correctly or not.

I have never heard of this definition:

C.NT itself is not a bad word, people used it in context to insult people the same way as pussy is not a bad word but people twisted to make a person feel weak, allowing one to walk all over you, or have no backbone.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Quoting soonergirl980:

I find it interesting that there is only one you feel comfortable spelling out.

It has nothing to do with comfort level and everything to do with the TOS (terms of service) of Cafemom.

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:08 PM

When a black person is called the n word by a white person, what do they think it means?

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:33 PM

The N word technically has a real definition.  It means ignorant.  And a B is a female dog.

Kitschy
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Quoting futureshock:

This is interesting:

n word  

(my 8th grade BLACK teacher defined it for us on the first day of school.)

Something or someone that is unable to learn,cooperate, or function correctly.
My locker is being an "n word" today.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nigger&page=2

That is my understanding of the word.

A cracker is the one who cracks the whip.

DestinyRoseLC
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Did you know in Australia they say this in a friendly way?

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting DestinyRoseLC:

The n word simply means one of dark skin, however, being that for years it was said to those that were abused as a label to make one feel less than or worthless it became a fire word. newer generations began referring to themselves as this label to simply spit in the face of those who tried to degrate them and kill their spirits.

Cracker is a word used to label one of light skin whom uses their whip referring to slavery lashings and animal herding. some would say it is racist to use it, however I dont believe it is imo.

Bitch is a female dog. So I think anyone who is called a bitch wouldnt be happy about it, whether the word is used correctly or not.

C.NT
itself is not a bad word, people used it in context to insult people
the same way as pussy is not a bad word but people twisted to make a
person feel weak, allowing one to walk all over you, or have no
backbone.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

When a black person is called the n word by a white person, what do they think it means?

EXCELLENT QUESTION!!!

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

The N word technically has a real definition.  It means ignorant.  And a B is a female dog.

If the n word only means ignorant why isn't the word ignorant called the I word?

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Quoting DestinyRoseLC:

Did you know in Australia they say this in a friendly way?

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting DestinyRoseLC:

C.NT
itself is not a bad word, people used it in context to insult people
the same way as pussy is not a bad word but people twisted to make a
person feel weak, allowing one to walk all over you, or have no
backbone.

No, I have never heard that.  Thanks for the info.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Good question to which I have no answer.  I never really bothered to look up the reason behind the `usage' for the N word for the way it is more commonly used.  I don't use it  and quite frankly I do not associate with people that do.   

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

If the n word only means ignorant why isn't the word ignorant called the I word?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)