Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is the "n" word such a bad word? What does it mean? What are the definitions of these words? "n" word; cracker; c*nt; bi*ch

Posted by   + Show Post

This is sort of a spin off from the post about white people using the "n" word.  In that thread the word "cracker" was mentioned as a comparable word to the "n" word.  This idea made me wonder if people truly understand the definitions of various slang and insulting words.  I have a feeling many people do not understand the actual definitions because if they did they would not use the words so freely. 

One example is the "n" word.  Many people think it means ignorant.  If it really meant ignorant why would so many people flip out over being called this word? Why wouldn't we call "ignorant" the "i" word?

Here goes, what are the definitions of these words?

"n" word

cracker

c*nt

bi*ch

Feel free to add other words you feel are misunderstood and I will add them to the op.

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Replies (41-50):
mommajen32
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:26 AM

I guess the question is as well, what does the "sayer" mean when they say it? Look at how the word is used and there's your answer. 

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I thought so too...haven't gotten an answer though.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

When a black person is called the n word by a white person, what do they think it means?

EXCELLENT QUESTION!!!

romalove
by Roma on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:51 AM

They are all words that are based on offending others.  Appropriate them or don't, use them or don't, the reality is they are meant to be offensive, at least to some people.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Tell that to the parents of all the kids who kill themselves over verbal bullying.

Quoting EireLass:

Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Most bullying 'victims' are set up by their parents. It's how they were trained to behave.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Tell that to the parents of all the kids who kill themselves over verbal bullying.
Quoting EireLass:

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I think it means worthless like lower than dirt worthless and uneducated slave.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting MommyTo5Boys:

Here are my thoughs on that (as posted in the other thread)

I feel that to me (as a white person) being called a Cracker by an AA is just as offensive as if I called them a 'N' (which I would never do by the way, I was just trying to make a point of how offensive that word is). 
Both words bring us back to the time of slavery. One is a horrible word used to degrade AAs and make them feel inferior. The other (imo) is just as offensive because it also brings us back to the time of slavery but is used as a derogatory term for whites, making them feel as if they owe AA something because of the way that our ancestors (people that we have never met and are nothing like) treated their ancestors (people that they have never met and are nothing like). 

Both are used as dergoatory term with a meaning that is racist, both words are used by other races to try and degrade the race they are speaking of. 

I guess I just don't understand why calling some one a 'uneducated slave' is worse than calling someone a 'heartless person who controls and beats others'.

Sorry but they are both just as derogatory to me.

If I thought the n word meant simply "uneducated slave" I would agree with you.  However, I think the actual meaning of the n word is much, much worse.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:56 AM
I hate them all.
They are used in anger and to insult and they are characteristic of low brow,tacky people who want to hurt others . I think the cracker word is insulting but I would be horrified and extremely angry if someone called me the other C word.
. It's just not normal or even civilized to use any of the words mentioned.
Definitions ? It depends. It's all bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Reseach evidence citation please.

Quoting EireLass:

Most bullying 'victims' are set up by their parents. It's how they were trained to behave.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting EireLass:

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Definitions are indeed interesting. Faggot means burning wood or sticks. Brits call cigarettes fags for this reason. Burning gays alive on wood is why we use this insult in the US. Keep that in mind if you ever herar the term.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:35 PM

All you have to do is think back to when you were growing up. Think of your children/classmates now. And read all the posts on CafeMom. It's obvious.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Reseach evidence citation please.
Quoting EireLass:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting EireLass:

S

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured