Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Here is a reason why indigent care should matter to everyone

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM
  • 59 Replies

Public health officials have launched a new, coordinated attack to contain a persistent outbreak of tuberculosis on downtown Los Angeles' skid row, including a search for more than 4,500 people who may have been exposed to the disease.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has dispatched scientists to Los Angeles to help local health officials determine why the disease is spreading and how to stop it.

Officials say 11 have died since 2007. Sixty of the 78 cases were among homeless people who live on and around skid row.

Scientists have recently linked the outbreak to a tuberculosis strain that is unique to Los Angeles, with a few isolated cases outside the area.

"This is the largest outbreak in a decade," said Jonathan Fielding, director of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health. "We are really putting all of our resources into this."

Health workers have identified about 4,650 people who were probably exposed and are trying to track them down for testing and treatment. Local and federal officials are particularly concerned because the cases are linked to one relatively small geographic area and one vulnerable population. But officials are concerned that the outbreak could spread beyond skid row if action isn't taken.

Homeless people are especially at risk of getting TB and of being undiagnosed because they have poor hygiene and nutrition, limited access to healthcare and ongoing contact with infected people. Transmission of the airborne disease is also common because the homeless live in overcrowded areas and are constantly moving among hospitals, shelters and the streets. Many homeless people also have substance abuse or mental health issues that can impede treatment.

"They go from place to place and the likelihood of passing it along is much greater," said Paul Gregerson, chief medical officer of the JWCH Institute, which runs a homeless healthcare program on skid row. "It makes everybody more susceptible."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-tb-outbreak-20130222,0,4394287.story

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM
15 moms liked this

So it's not just a matter of compassion but also for the sake of public health and the betterment of everyone in society. 

Helping the poor, no matter how they got to where they are, is all of our responsibility. We are as strong as the weakest among us. People should not have TB in a nation as wealthy as this one supposedly is. With the kind of resources we have. This is a national disgrace. People should not be living like they do. 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:32 PM
6 moms liked this

Of course... germs particularly airborne germs, do not discriminate based on the balance in one's checkbook. Communicable diseases are one of the main reasons why I believe that affordable HC for all should be one of our number one concerns.

I am a nurse- a TB screen is only good for 3 months- I had one in October and again at the end of January when I started a new job.

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I did not realize it was only good for three months. I am glad to know that. 

Quoting Sisteract:

Of course... germs particularly airborne germs, do not discriminate based on the balance in one's checkbook. Communicable diseases are one of the main reasons why I believe that affordable HC for all should be one of our number one concerns.

I am a nurse- a TB screen is only good for 3 months- I had one in October and again at the end of January when I started a new job.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:40 PM
3 moms liked this

Exactly. Too many people are hung up on those who don't "deserve" it. It's petty and mean and immature. Universal Healthcare would benefit every single person in this nation. Rich and poor alike. The stance of who deserves what is the kind of shit I see out of children. Too many adults do not grow out of that selfish nonsense. And who pays? We all do. In the form of an outbreak of a preventable disease. 

Quoting Sisteract:

Of course... germs prticularly airborne germs, do not discriminate based on the balance in one's checkbook. Communicable diseases are one of the main reasons why I believe that affordable HC for all should be one of our number one concerns.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

TB is an airborne transmission disease- one could be exposed anywhere and not know it- It is rampant in CA mostly D/T a large immigrant population...some places/countries do not treat as aggressively as others.

EvanandOlivia
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:46 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree! I'm a nurse and work in an ER. What some people fail to understand
Is we all are paying for the uninsured anyway. So they might as well have access to
Affordable HC/Nationalized HC from the beginning before illnesses and conditions
become more difficult and expensive to treat. It just seems to make more financial
sense to treat a common Respiratory infection early on instead of the pt ending up
in respiratory failure and on a vent for months.Guess who pays for that? You
and I do! In our insurance and our taxes!
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree.

The focus should be on health maintenance and educating folks on healthy habits.

Quoting EvanandOlivia:

I agree! I'm a nurse and work in an ER. What some people fail to understand
Is we all are paying for the uninsured anyway. So they might as well have access to
Affordable HC/Nationalized HC from the beginning before illnesses and conditions
become more difficult and expensive to treat. It just seems to make more financial
sense to treat a common Respiratory infection early on instead of the pt ending up
in respiratory failure and on a vent for months.Guess who pays for that? You
and I do! In our insurance and our taxes!

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM

bump

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM

I think the illegals ~ immigrants my butt! ~ should be getting shipped out instead of treated ... or their government should be getting a bill instead of legal US citizens who purchase health ins.

I would agree with pp that it makes more sense to treat things early, when the care is far less expensive, except for the part about 'immigrants'. Yes, I have a big chip on my shoulder about illegals, for several reasons ... and one of those is health care. I've watched three people in the past year lose their home trying to pay for health care and they HAD insurance. When my mom was in the hospital I also got to watch 5 illegals (talked about openly within that hospital ~ and those of you who are nurses know darn well that everyone gets talked about whether it's because of the strange object somehow lodged in their anal orifice or how whiny someone is or how brave they are facing treatment) ~ waiting in the dialysis treatment center. I'm friends with several of those nurses ~ personal friends. I know for a FACT that a legal citizen will be denied treatment if they can't pay (except for ER care or clinics) for, but illegals won't.

That more than anything is what is wrong with our health care business ... although insurance itself is almost tied for the 'honor'. I've lived with 'government health care for almost 30 years. It is nothing like BC/BS or any of the private companies (which I have had in addition to Tricare at various times).

While I understand people in health care wanting to see everyone covered (and actually agree with that but from a different viewpoint), I disagree about caring for illegals under any circumstance unless they are going to be forced to work off what they owe before being deported. Sorry, but a legal, tax paying, honest citizen can have their property put under a lien, have their tax returns confiscated, etc. for not paying hospital bills. Hospitals are doing that now even if there is an insurance dispute that holds up their payments ... and those same hospitals are treating illegals for free. I call bull$hit.

Lunarprancer
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol, when the government takes over healthcare, less and less will be available to the every person.  After all, who will pay for it?

Quoting mehamil1:

Exactly. Too many people are hung up on those who don't "deserve" it. It's petty and mean and immature. Universal Healthcare would benefit every single person in this nation. Rich and poor alike. The stance of who deserves what is the kind of shit I see out of children. Too many adults do not grow out of that selfish nonsense. And who pays? We all do. In the form of an outbreak of a preventable disease. 

Quoting Sisteract:

Of course... germs prticularly airborne germs, do not discriminate based on the balance in one's checkbook. Communicable diseases are one of the main reasons why I believe that affordable HC for all should be one of our number one concerns.

With light and love

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)