Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poll

Question: Are Unisex bathrooms in schools a good idea?

Options:

Yes. This way no one is made to feel segragated.

No. I will explain.

Only if they have seperate stall and no urinials.

Other. I will explain.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 33

View Results

It was mentioned in another post(the transgender post) that perhaps unisex bathrooms would be a good idea

Would you be ok with your children/teens going to school with unisex bathrooms. Urinals and stall bathrooms available to both girls and boys?

Adding a poll.

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Replies (11-20):
slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd be absolutely fine with it, provided there are separate stalls for both urinals and toilets (as in not a line of urinals on the wall out in the open).
Donna6503
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:52 PM
If you believe that society shouldn't differentiate the gender than you should have unisex restrooms with private stalls.

Besides, I seen enough men peeing off the side of the road to know, that urinals need not really be that private.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Aamy:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting stormcris:

I put yes but it has less to do with segregated and more to do with the fact in this day and age people should not fear the opposite sex. Let's think about this for a moment. In schools you are not there to have some mystic and primp in the bathroom. You are supposed to go in do your business, wash and leave. As one teacher puts it "two shakes is all you need". There are already males in the female restroom and there are already females in the male restroom. If the idea is to prevent rape it does not work. IF the idea is to prevent some other sort of crime it still does not work. If the idea is to keep the mystic of being one sex or the other, it has been pointed out by many parents school is for learning not to prowl for a date. We are supposed to be a progressive society that is one of the top in the world and we cannot get past being in stalls next to each other? It seems really unprogressive considering Europe and Asia already do this in many places. 

Uh uh. Its just a matter of privacy, not "the mystic of being one sex" thing.

I also needed privacy in my Gym class in junior high and high school, not wanting to take showers with all the other girls and changing clothes,etc. by the lockers.

Lets allow some of us to remain who we are and not force us to let it all hang out for everyone. It's called modesty and privacy and needing our own space.

There is a point of letting it all hang out and then being a prude. We didnt have stalls to change in for gym, and belive me i didnt like it either, but you just did it. And same goes for showers. You would def hated basic training for the Air Force, i got a huge wake up call. You walk into this room, there are 6 shower heads. And thats it. You ALL shower together. about 3 girls per shower head. Sorry but you get over it pretty quick. There are times in life that you have to do things you dont really like. 

That is exactly how we had to do it in our GYM class in our school. I hated it. A huge shower room with a bunch of naked girls....ugh. I never got over it. If I am a Prude...as you slyly suggest ....then I admit it and I am proud of it.   :-)

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Perhaps but the idea of a public restroom just is not a place I feel there is any privacy as it is so the difference would be little and as for modesty there is little of that when a person must use them to have a bowel movement. Without the restroom being a single use only it is not private. However, perhaps that would be the most helpful just line up a few single use restrooms and everyone can be happy. It would certainly go a long way with mother who have to change infants.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting stormcris:

You do not feel stalls are private?

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting stormcris:

I put yes but it has less to do with segregated and more to do with the fact in this day and age people should not fear the opposite sex. Let's think about this for a moment. In schools you are not there to have some mystic and primp in the bathroom. You are supposed to go in do your business, wash and leave. As one teacher puts it "two shakes is all you need". There are already males in the female restroom and there are already females in the male restroom. If the idea is to prevent rape it does not work. IF the idea is to prevent some other sort of crime it still does not work. If the idea is to keep the mystic of being one sex or the other, it has been pointed out by many parents school is for learning not to prowl for a date. We are supposed to be a progressive society that is one of the top in the world and we cannot get past being in stalls next to each other? It seems really unprogressive considering Europe and Asia already do this in many places. 

Uh uh. Its just a matter of privacy, not "the mystic of being one sex" thing. I also needed privacy in my Gym class in high school, nt wantong to take showers with all the other girls and changing clothes,etc. by the lockers.

Lets allow some of us to remain who we are and not force us to let it all hang out for everyone. It's called modesty and privacy and needing our own space.

Not really.

And when you cite Europe, do you know that they also still have the "hole in the ground bathrooms" where you just stand there and pee in a hole , no toilet to sit on? They are awful. I really don't see European countries as being more progressive than USA when you are discussing bathrooms. Unisex bathrooms are regressing back to a more primitve time,IMO.

Germany's cities have two bathrooms, mainly. Paris does...we lived in Europe twice.  The countryside has the hole in the ground potties in their rural restaurants, for example.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes. Just wanted to make sure that was what you meant. I also think there should be 3. I was taken aback in the other post when a few suggested no girl and boy restrooms but unisex restrooms for everyone. Even in stalls there are cracks you can see through and I know as a teen I would not have been comfortable changing a tampon knowing a boy might be walking past my stall and see in. How mortifying.

Quoting lga1965:

I said THREE TOTAL...One Unisex, one girls', one boys'.  Now do you see?

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting lga1965:

Yes, but ONE unisex bathroom and one for males and one for females. Three, total.

Unisex bathrooms will be a good way to allow the transgender kids to do their own thing, without bothering other kids who are totally male or female.

So your vote would be No to unisex for everyone? Boys and girls sharing All bathrooms?

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I just wanted to add to this by saying that Mystic, what mystic LOL. Most boys are taken into the womens room with their mothers until around the 7-10yr range when out in public so they've seen everything that goes on in there. No mystique left there.  Some daughters have been taken in with their fathers when no female relative is around to take them potty at young ages, so not much mystique there either.

:)

Personally i'd like to see a LOT more family restrooms in places, they come in handy when i'm trying to take both kids to the restroom at once.

Quoting stormcris:

Needed to add: Unisex bathrooms do not typically have urinals.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:13 PM

That's true. But it's a whole different story when you're older---teenage and older.

Quoting Arroree:

I just wanted to add to this by saying that Mystic, what mystic LOL. Most boys are taken into the womens room with their mothers until around the 7-10yr range when out in public so they've seen everything that goes on in there. No mystique left there.  Some daughters have been taken in with their fathers when no female relative is around to take them potty at young ages, so not much mystique there either.

:)

Personally i'd like to see a LOT more family restrooms in places, they come in handy when i'm trying to take both kids to the restroom at once.

Quoting stormcris:

Needed to add: Unisex bathrooms do not typically have urinals.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:23 PM
2 moms liked this

I will march for LGBT rights, I will donate my legal services, I'll picket...whatever you want but please don't ask me to pee next to a guy I don't know. I've been with my husband for nearly 20 years and we still keep our "bathroom ritual" a mystery. I AM a prude! There I said it. I don't care. Can't we keep something a mystery??

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Aamy:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting stormcris:

I also needed privacy in my Gym class in junior high and high school, not wanting to take showers with all the other girls and changing clothes,etc. by the lockers.

There is a point of letting it all hang out and then being a prude. We didnt have stalls to change in for gym, and belive me i didnt like it either, but you just did it. And same goes for showers. You would def hated basic training for the Air Force, i got a huge wake up call. You walk into this room, there are 6 shower heads. And thats it. You ALL shower together. about 3 girls per shower head. Sorry but you get over it pretty quick. There are times in life that you have to do things you dont really like. 

That is exactly how we had to do it in our GYM class in our school. I hated it. A huge shower room with a bunch of naked girls....ugh. I never got over it. If I am a Prude...as you slyly suggest ....then I admit it and I am proud of it.   :-)

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Quoting lga1965:

Yes, but ONE unisex bathroom and one for males and one for females. Three, total.

Unisex bathrooms will be a good way to allow the transgender kids to do their own thing, without bothering other kids who are totally male or female.

I agree. People who feel comfortable with it can use it, people who aren't don't have to.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Yes! Exactly how I feel!

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I will march for LGBT rights, I will donate my legal services, I'll picket...whatever you want but please don't ask me to pee next to a guy I don't know. I've been with my husband for nearly 20 years and we still keep our "bathroom ritual" a mystery. I AM a prude! There I said it. I don't care. Can't we keep something a mystery??

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Aamy:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting stormcris:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured