Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Poll

Question: Are Unisex bathrooms in schools a good idea?

Options:

Yes. This way no one is made to feel segragated.

No. I will explain.

Only if they have seperate stall and no urinials.

Other. I will explain.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 33

View Results

It was mentioned in another post(the transgender post) that perhaps unisex bathrooms would be a good idea

Would you be ok with your children/teens going to school with unisex bathrooms. Urinals and stall bathrooms available to both girls and boys?

Adding a poll.

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Replies (31-40):
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:55 PM

But a room full of females showering or a room full of males showering is different from a room full of everyone showering. 

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Aamy:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting stormcris:

I put yes but it has less to do with segregated and more to do with the fact in this day and age people should not fear the opposite sex. Let's think about this for a moment. In schools you are not there to have some mystic and primp in the bathroom. You are supposed to go in do your business, wash and leave. As one teacher puts it "two shakes is all you need". There are already males in the female restroom and there are already females in the male restroom. If the idea is to prevent rape it does not work. IF the idea is to prevent some other sort of crime it still does not work. If the idea is to keep the mystic of being one sex or the other, it has been pointed out by many parents school is for learning not to prowl for a date. We are supposed to be a progressive society that is one of the top in the world and we cannot get past being in stalls next to each other? It seems really unprogressive considering Europe and Asia already do this in many places. 

Uh uh. Its just a matter of privacy, not "the mystic of being one sex" thing.

I also needed privacy in my Gym class in junior high and high school, not wanting to take showers with all the other girls and changing clothes,etc. by the lockers.

Lets allow some of us to remain who we are and not force us to let it all hang out for everyone. It's called modesty and privacy and needing our own space.

There is a point of letting it all hang out and then being a prude. We didnt have stalls to change in for gym, and belive me i didnt like it either, but you just did it. And same goes for showers. You would def hated basic training for the Air Force, i got a huge wake up call. You walk into this room, there are 6 shower heads. And thats it. You ALL shower together. about 3 girls per shower head. Sorry but you get over it pretty quick. There are times in life that you have to do things you dont really like. 

That is exactly how we had to do it in our GYM class in our school. I hated it. A huge shower room with a bunch of naked girls....ugh. I never got over it. If I am a Prude...as you slyly suggest ....then I admit it and I am proud of it.   :-)

lga1965
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I guess. But I still hated having to shower with a bunch of other girls. Ugh.

Quoting fireangel5:

But a room full of females showering or a room full of males showering is different from a room full of everyone showering. 

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Aamy:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting stormcris:

I put yes but it has less to do with segregated and more to do with the fact in this day and age people should not fear the opposite sex. Let's think about this for a moment. In schools you are not there to have some mystic and primp in the bathroom. You are supposed to go in do your business, wash and leave. As one teacher puts it "two shakes is all you need". There are already males in the female restroom and there are already females in the male restroom. If the idea is to prevent rape it does not work. IF the idea is to prevent some other sort of crime it still does not work. If the idea is to keep the mystic of being one sex or the other, it has been pointed out by many parents school is for learning not to prowl for a date. We are supposed to be a progressive society that is one of the top in the world and we cannot get past being in stalls next to each other? It seems really unprogressive considering Europe and Asia already do this in many places. 

I also needed privacy in my Gym class in junior high and high school, not wanting to take showers with all the other girls and changing clothes,etc. by the lockers.

Lets allow some of us to remain who we are and not force us to let it all hang out for everyone. It's called modesty and privacy and needing our own space.

There is a point of letting it all hang out and then being a prude. We didnt have stalls to change in for gym, and belive me i didnt like it either, but you just did it. And same goes for showers. You would def hated basic training for the Air Force, i got a huge wake up call. You walk into this room, there are 6 shower heads. And thats it. You ALL shower together. about 3 girls per shower head. Sorry but you get over it pretty quick. There are times in life that you have to do things you dont really like. 

That is exactly how we had to do it in our GYM class in our school. I hated it. A huge shower room with a bunch of naked girls....ugh. I never got over it. If I am a Prude...as you slyly suggest ....then I admit it and I am proud of it.   :-)

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM

No the natural assumption is I have more curiosity than a cat.

Quoting talia-mom:

Because of course the natural assumption is you can't possibly know anyone if you are uncomfortable changing around them.

Quoting stormcris:

I am glad someone asked this I was thinking of asking it myself. 

Quoting desertlvn:

Quoting talia-mom:

I like being a female.   I just don't get the idea that somehow modesty or uncomfortableness with peeing or changing around someone with a penis you don't intimately know is bullying or homophobic or not educated.

Sometimes you are just allowed to be uncomfortable with stuff without it being a major issue.

I'm curious.... Do you know any transgendered people? (That you are aware of.)

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I was just curious. This year alone I discovered that 3 children I know are transgendered. This exposure and the fact that they are all under 10 yrs old has helped me become a lot more comfortable with the idea. 

Quoting talia-mom:

Yes.  One of my employees.

And I would still feel uncomfortable peeing or changing next to her because she has a penis.

There is nothing wrong with this.   I don't berate the person, but neither do have to pretend I am not uncomfortable.

Quoting desertlvn:

Quoting talia-mom:

I like being a female.   I just don't get the idea that somehow modesty or uncomfortableness with peeing or changing around someone with a penis you don't intimately know is bullying or homophobic or not educated.

Sometimes you are just allowed to be uncomfortable with stuff without it being a major issue.

I'm curious.... Do you know any transgendered people? (That you are aware of.)

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I think I love you :P

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I will march for LGBT rights, I will donate my legal services, I'll picket...whatever you want but please don't ask me to pee next to a guy I don't know. I've been with my husband for nearly 20 years and we still keep our "bathroom ritual" a mystery. I AM a prude! There I said it. I don't care. Can't we keep something a mystery??

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Aamy:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting stormcris:

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh I totally get that. But it would be 1000x worse with males in there also. 

Quoting lga1965:

I guess. But I still hated having to shower with a bunch of other girls. Ugh.

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Aamy:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting stormcris:

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:04 PM

And I love you too... as long as I don't have to go potty next to you ;)

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I will march for LGBT rights, I will donate my legal services, I'll picket...whatever you want but please don't ask me to pee next to a guy I don't know. I've been with my husband for nearly 20 years and we still keep our "bathroom ritual" a mystery. I AM a prude! There I said it. I don't care. Can't we keep something a mystery??

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Aamy:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting stormcris:

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:07 PM

haha, nope I'm a prude too. I think some things deserve privacy!

Quoting lizzielouaf:

And I love you too... as long as I don't have to go potty next to you ;)

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Aamy:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting stormcris:

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:08 PM
If there are stalls & no urinals, why bother having gendered bathrooms anywhere. Its stupid & ridiculous IMO.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
deadlights86
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

We had a combined hand washing area when I was in school and when I was in the 3rd grade I remember a little boy showing me his penis. I can understand a seperate bathroom for kids with gender issues but boys should be in the boys room girls in the girls.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN