Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Can Someone Please Explain to Me as to Why.....

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:41 PM
  • 267 Replies
2 moms liked this

Parents allow their kids to listen to Rap music that is so full of foul language, raping/abusing women, etc. etc.  I just don't understand why a parent would allow that or listen to it themselves.  Now, I can't say it's ALL of rap music, idk.  I'm not even going to say that foul things are said even in other types of music.  But, to me, it seems A LOT worse in "Rap" music.  I for the life of me just don't understand. 

I LOVE music, & all types of music.  I can't say I like Rap, but some I do.  I also, admit that before I say I like it, I should be looking up what they are actuallly saying.  I get very disappointed when an artist that I DO like, but I find out in their songs the lyrics are so FOUL!  But, I'm not raising kids anymore.  (not that I would listen to it anymore anyway).  But, gosh....What the heck is wrong with parents?  This post is NOT about attacking moms or someone that likes the music, but more to help me understand. 

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
juju40
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:43 PM
7 moms liked this

that kind of music isn't allowed in my house...I hate rap

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:48 PM
4 moms liked this
My 21 year old listens primarily to "screamo rock". I would take foul language rap over that crap any day...at least I can understand the lyrics!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I wouldn't allow it either, but I'm glad my kids were never into that type of music.  I'm just wondering why some parents know their kids listen to it, heck they listen to it as well.  Yet, it's ok?  I don't get that.  Sells of 'rap' music is pretty high I suppose.  Plus, Artists are always being talked about in a 'good' way, yet I don't understand why?  The sells being so high, the parents knowingly that their kids are buying that music & themselves as well.  That obviously is why sells are so high. 

Plus, on TV, at Awards these types of Artists are getting so much praise?  I guess that's why I enjoyed the Emmy's this yr., because A LOT if not most of that was cut off from winning!  I was very happy about that!  Thinking perhaps this Country is FINALLY seeing the light.  I just happen to be one of the moms/person, that feels these violent songs & video games DOES contribute to violence in kids.  Mostly, those kids that are already in trouble.  Acting out & is having issues with the law, at school or with their parents.  I also, IMO don't believe it's about "Mental Issues"...Some yes..But, not all.

Quoting juju40:

that kind of music isn't allowed in my house...I hate rap

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I will allow hip-hop to be played. Yet, I never heard my daughters play the rap you're describing in your post.

But, knowing my girls; they would be the first ones to ostracizeo anyone around em that would play such a song ... No matter the style the music being played.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:54 PM

rap isnt allowed in my house

but we always listen to murderdolls and rob zombie stuff like that around my ds

krysstizzle
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:57 PM
9 moms liked this

I've heard some awful death metal type crap that makes rap look like the friggin' Wiggles. Seriously. 

I like some rap and hip hop, but it's not the stuff you hear on the radio: the Roots, Common, Erykah Badu, Talib Kweli, Lupe Fiasco, Dead Prez, Paris, ... Some of it is a really good conversation starter with the kids.  My kids like it, too; we listen to a pretty diverse range of music. 

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Oh, you have no idea.  There is worse than rap music out there, I discovered, I'm sorry to say.  I have heard stuff (following what various teens have posted online, since I have teens myself) that makes rap music sounds like Disney tunes. 

You can't control what teens do when they are away from you.  You can only hope and pray that you've instilled enough proper values to be enough of a barrier to evil that they can't be comfortable settling there, even if they wander through. 

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Funny, I just posted the exact same thing right below you!  Then I saw this.  Yes, there is far worse. 

Quoting krysstizzle:

I've heard some awful death metal type crap that makes rap look like the friggin' Wiggles. Seriously. 

I like some rap and hip hop, but it's not the stuff you hear on the radio: the Roots, Common, Erykah Badu, Talib Kweli, Lupe Fiasco, Dead Prez, Paris, ... Some of it is a really good conversation starter with the kids.  My kids like it, too; we listen to a pretty diverse range of music. 

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Quoting lizzielouaf:

My 21 year old listens primarily to "screamo rock". I would take foul language rap over that crap any day...at least I can understand the lyrics!

My 16 year old loves screamo. God...it's awful

AdellesMom
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:17 PM
2 moms liked this
Rap is one genre, and there are similar lyrics with different genres.

I'm not a big fan of rap music. I like Neo-Soul, like the stylings of Erykah Badu, Jill Scott (she's my favorite artist), Alicia Keys, John Legend, etc, better. I also love soul music. I do like some hip-hop, like Common and The Roots.

I will admit that most rap music is stupid. But, the beat is catchy for the most part. I do like some rap songs. But, the songs I like are stupid as shit. LOL
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)