Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Can Someone Please Explain to Me as to Why.....

Posted by   + Show Post

Parents allow their kids to listen to Rap music that is so full of foul language, raping/abusing women, etc. etc.  I just don't understand why a parent would allow that or listen to it themselves.  Now, I can't say it's ALL of rap music, idk.  I'm not even going to say that foul things are said even in other types of music.  But, to me, it seems A LOT worse in "Rap" music.  I for the life of me just don't understand. 

I LOVE music, & all types of music.  I can't say I like Rap, but some I do.  I also, admit that before I say I like it, I should be looking up what they are actuallly saying.  I get very disappointed when an artist that I DO like, but I find out in their songs the lyrics are so FOUL!  But, I'm not raising kids anymore.  (not that I would listen to it anymore anyway).  But, gosh....What the heck is wrong with parents?  This post is NOT about attacking moms or someone that likes the music, but more to help me understand. 

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Replies (21-30):
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this
so you are going to get a court order to make him abide by her rules....I'm pretty sure that wouldnt fly

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I'm sorry, but right here I just don't understand.  Allowing a child or teen to listen to any music or play any video game, that is REALLY foul & violent, to me I say.  NO WAY IN HELL!!  and IF I know that they are allowed to by their father, I would put a stop to that so fast, even if I have to get a Lawyer & go to Court.   

Quoting malibucj:

I let my 8 year old listento what he wants. EXCEPT anything with foul language. I know he's evetually going to pick that up, but I don't want to rush it or contribute to it.

His father on the other hand (we're separated), seems to not have a problem listening to this type of music around him. Kills me.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this
my favorite movie at 9 no joke, The Blue Lagoon

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

my parents allowed us to live, yes there were rules we were expected to follow but we were allowed to watch what we wanted g,pg, pg13, and r movies and could listen to whatever we wanted....however those were not something we "learned" from. We were brought up to give respect when it is given to

us, I dont swear in front of my parents to this day, I do use swear words and try not to in front of my kids, but shit happens, ha. I think when the rules and you are not "allowed" leads to defiance

When I was 15 I used to help my Aunt clean the senior center for extra money. It was always closed and half lit and the perfect time to crank the walkman. Yeah, I'm old. So one night I was listening to Run D.M.C. Raising Hell and the track 'Proud to be Black' was on. I didn't consider my audience: 60 something women glaring at me.

good times

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM

It's not allowed in my house.  Never has been.  

The foul, nasty and angry stuff, that is.  

I'm not a fan of rap, in general, but only because it isn't my thing.

Where I was last night, I heard some songs that made me cringe.  I'm no prude and I can get in to the deeper meaning of songs but hot damn, that language was unnecessary and down right disgusting.  lol

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lizzielouaf:

My 21 year old listens primarily to "screamo rock". I would take foul language rap over that crap any day...at least I can understand the lyrics!

For a bit, my 18 year old listened to some.  Holy smokes, instant headache! lol

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Quoting Euphoric:

Is that Johnny Cash?

Quoting jllcali:

"but I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die"

Indeed.

For myself, I am referring to such rap songs that are down right vulgar.

My kids have never been in to rap but there are a few people they will listen to now and again.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I think I would prefer some lil wayne to the kids music my daughter loves to repeat on her ipod. Right now I'm hearing 'this little pig said 'wee wee wee' all the waaaaaaaaaaaaay hoooooooooooome.

Hahahahaha!

I like some of lil wayne.  Not all, but I've heard a few songs I can handle.

randi1978
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I generally don't censor my music, but I won't go out of my way to get her a Snoop Dogg track or Eminem track.  She likes pop music, really.  She thinks that Thrift Shop song is funny, but not one of her must have's.

On the other hand, I do actually own some of their tracks and listen to them in the car, often with her riding in the car with me.  I'll admit it: Eminem is my guilty pleasure. 

But, it's not confined to rap anymore either.  Even a lot of rock and alternative have a generous amount of swearing, alone.   

achorney
by New Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I listen to not rap music that is full of horrible language.

It is what it is. My kid knows not to say those words. He has choice. The music is not to blame, the parenting is.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM
3 moms liked this
Meh, we raise our kids to have strong enough minds and morals that a rap song or artist isn't going to change their moral compass or turn them into a raging, cursing, mysoginist.

I don't personally like most new rap music, but I also don't personally like most hard core heavy metal or country. Why should I force my taste onto my kids, they are individuals with their own tastes and preferences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NananRaysmom
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:58 PM
The rap I listen to is bad...my kids have grown up around it..know it's not real..it's music..and don't say the bad words.. same with movies...I don't censor stuff.

At home..my daughter loves Janet Jackson...my son loves Elvis. So my music choice hasn't limited theirs..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN