Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Can Someone Please Explain to Me as to Why.....

Posted by   + Show Post

Parents allow their kids to listen to Rap music that is so full of foul language, raping/abusing women, etc. etc.  I just don't understand why a parent would allow that or listen to it themselves.  Now, I can't say it's ALL of rap music, idk.  I'm not even going to say that foul things are said even in other types of music.  But, to me, it seems A LOT worse in "Rap" music.  I for the life of me just don't understand. 

I LOVE music, & all types of music.  I can't say I like Rap, but some I do.  I also, admit that before I say I like it, I should be looking up what they are actuallly saying.  I get very disappointed when an artist that I DO like, but I find out in their songs the lyrics are so FOUL!  But, I'm not raising kids anymore.  (not that I would listen to it anymore anyway).  But, gosh....What the heck is wrong with parents?  This post is NOT about attacking moms or someone that likes the music, but more to help me understand. 

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Replies (31-40):
randi1978
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I think I would prefer some lil wayne to the kids music my daughter loves to repeat on her ipod. Right now I'm hearing 'this little pig said 'wee wee wee' all the waaaaaaaaaaaaay hoooooooooooome.

There's the Green Jelly version of Three Little Pigs that's quite good.....LMAO!

(my daughter loves it)

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't censor music in my home.  I like a lot of rap music, I like a lot of classic REAL country music.  Ever listen to a real country song?  Lol.

There is nothing wrong with allowing children to listen to the music they wish to listen to.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Well, right there at least you were young & hopefully lol. ?  your're mom didn't allow it or didn't know.  (yeah, right..lol).  I don't know the songs you are speaking of, but a song on "Being proud to be Black" to me, sounds like a good title anyway.  I'm going to go look up the lyrics....I do agree though, at 15 a kid doesn't consider those 'old folks like me' lol...that we just don't like their music.  But, I'm AGAINST ANY mom that would allow their child to listen to songs with 'foul' lyrics or playing violent video games. 

Heck, I'm sure my parents didn't like my music.  I should say my bfs lol.  Because, I was such a mellow person, listening to the Carpenters, the Association type of music.  lol.  I have no problem with the actual rapping, I actually like SOME of it, but not if it has lyrics that are foul, talking about slapping a woman around or their mothers.  Saying words like F$$k.  Nope...No way!   

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting motha2daDuchess:

my parents allowed us to live, yes there were rules we were expected to follow but we were allowed to watch what we wanted g,pg, pg13, and r movies and could listen to whatever we wanted....however those were not something we "learned" from. We were brought up to give respect when it is given to
us, I dont swear in front of my parents to this day, I do use swear words and try not to in front of my kids, but shit happens, ha. I think when the rules and you are not "allowed" leads to defiance

When I was 15 I used to help my Aunt clean the senior center for extra money. It was always closed and half lit and the perfect time to crank the walkman. Yeah, I'm old. So one night I was listening to Run D.M.C. Raising Hell and the track 'Proud to be Black' was on. I didn't consider my audience: 60 something women glaring at me.

good times

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM
2 moms liked this
So why isn't rap allowed?

Quoting redbutterfly666:

rap isnt allowed in my house

but we always listen to murderdolls and rob zombie stuff like that around my ds

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Quoting Naturewoman4:

I'm going to go look up the lyrics....

You know I'm proud to be black y'all And that's a fact y'all And if you try to take what's mine I take it back y'all it's like that
Licki licki licki licki licki licki licki licki Listen party people here's a serious song It's right not wrong, I should say right on I gotta tell you somethin' that you all should know It's not a mystery it's history and here's how it go Now Harriett Tubman, was born a slave She was a tiny black woman, when she was raised She was livin' to be givin' there's a lot that she gave There's not a slave, in this day and age I'm proud to be
Black, goddamn, I'm tired my man Don't worry bout what color I am Because I'll show you how I'll, this man can act It could never be fiction cause it is all fact And if you get in my way, I will not turn back I'm proud of my name, my name is Darryl Mack I'm black and I'm proud, and I'll say it out loud I'll share my story with the whole crowd
You know I'm proud to be black y'all And that's a fact y'all And if you try to take what's mine I take it back y'all it's like that DJ run, and I run these things You can hear it loud and clear like when the school bell rings Like martin Luther king, I will do my thing I'll say it in a rap cause I do not sing
D.M.C., the man, that's causin' the beef I got a message for the world so listen up it's brief Like Malcolm x said I won't turn the right cheek Got the strength to go the length, if you wanna start beef start beef You know I'm proud to be black y'all And real brave y'all And motherfucker I could never be a slave y'all So take that!
We're gonna tell ya somethin' put your mind in a swirl God bless the next baby that comes in this world The world's full of hate discrimination and sin People judgin' other people by the color of skin I'll attack this matter, in my own way Man, I ain't no slave, I ain't reelin' no hay Written a deposition, in any condition Don't get in my way cause I'm full of ambition I'm proud to be black and I ain't takin' no crap I'm fresh out the pack and I'm proud to be black so take that!
There was a man an inventor who invented so well He invented a fortune for a man named Bell George Washington Carver, made the peanut great Showed any man with a mind, could create You read about Malcolm X in the history text Jesse Owens broke records, Ali broke necks What's wrong with ya man? How can you be so dumb? Like Dr. King said, we shall overcome

redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting redbutterfly666:

me and df hate it with a passion...kiis fm isnt allowed and neither is kroq(radio stations) radio disney is a HUGE no now as well, anything in the hip-hop and rap categories are annoying as hell to us,ds doesnt like it much already either

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Well all I can say & I'm trying to be respectful to everyone own choices in life.  Is WOW!!  I remember sitting in a parking lot (happens a lot everywhere), but I could hear the lyrics of the rap song.  It was SO disgusting, SO appalling.  Sorry, I just can't understand how ANY mom can allow that.  Slap your girlfriend, or your mom?  Shot those cops, shot them dead...ummm  shaking my head!!

There is nothing wrong with allowing children to listen to the music they wish to listen to.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Wow!!  Sorry, but you have to ask? ummm shaking my head again!! 

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting redbutterfly666:

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I have no idea... I don't listen to any rap because I, personally, do not think it is music.

Then again, my son listens to almost everything else I do. The only saving grace is that the lyrics of the worse songs I listen too are in a different language. *shrugs* 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)