Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Disney world prank angers parents

Posted by   + Show Post

Disney world prank angers parents

Teachers' elaborate joke 'really stupid judgment'

Doug Schmidt, The Windsor Star

Published: Thursday, February 21, 2013

Parents at a South Windsor school are expressing outrage after teachers led graduating students to believe they were heading to Disney World for a year-end trip - only to reveal the next day that the kids were the butt of an elaborate joke.

One of the teachers recorded the scene on an iPad and it was later shown to another class so they too could join in the teachers' merriment.

"I have a lot of respect for teachers and what they do, but this was really stupid judgment," said parent Peter To-polovec.

Roseland public school's graduating students were told last Thursday that they were in for a spectacular year-end field trip to Disney World in Orlando, Fla.

On Friday, both Grade 8 classes were shepherded into a room, shown a video of their Disney dream vacation and given a PowerPoint presentation showing a palm tree-lined resort.

Travel brochures and hotel information were passed around. The flights are super cheap, a teacher said after one student expressed concern over cost.

The kids, ecstatic by now in anticipation, were urged by the teachers to yell out where they were going: "We're going to Disney!" That's when they were told to look at the last slide, which announced their 2013 field trip wasn't to a fabulous Florida funland, but to a Windsor bowling alley.

The reaction apparently caught even some of the pranksters by surprise, with one student-teacher who was in on the joke nearly coming to tears by the looks of dejection that followed.

"It was a huge error in judgment," Warren Kennedy, director of education of the Greater Essex County District School Board, told The Star Wednesday.

Bonnie Stewart, mother of twins who attend Grade 8 at Roseland, came home at 5 p.m. Friday to find both her kids already in their beds. She woke her son, who told her everything.

"I went into my daughter's room, and I told her I was so sorry - she just looked so sad," said Stewart. "They felt they were made fools of - it was humiliating," she added.

"When my son told me, it blew me away," said Topolovec. To humiliate the children and then compound it by recording it and showing it to their peers, he added, "that's bullying, and there should be zero tolerance."

Stewart suggested if the Grade 8s had pulled off a similar prank at the expense of the Grade 2s, there would be suspensions at the least and possibly expulsions.

"We would not have tolerated it," public school board spokesman Scott Scantlebury told The Star when asked about just such a scenario.

"This is something we're working through with everyone at the school," Roseland principal Laura Bates said Wednesday. She referred further questions to board director Kennedy.

"I don't think anyone is happy about this," said Kennedy. He said he wasn't able to "go into personnel matters" but that apologies had gone out and that those involved "realize their error ... they're owning the problem."

While neither parent is calling for suspensions or worse, both Stewart and Topolovec feel the students and parents are owed a meeting with the school's principal and the teachers involved, so that, according to Stewart, "the teachers can hear how this has made the kids feel."

The rest of the article is at the source

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Replies (31-40):
teddysmama09
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I've been to the Windsor bowling alley....If someone told me that was my  garduation trip I'd go to bed at 5 and cry too.

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Sorry those poor little snowflakes need to get over it. They are going to be highschoolers next year, not 1st graders. Be a little bummed and get the he'll over it. If those teenagers don't learn that in the next 5 years, they are all going to be fucked.

Quoting Sekirei:

So.. you're an expert on how kids (because, yes, they are kids) feel in all situations?

Sorry, this is not something a teacher should do. I do believe it warrants unpaid leave.. 

if anything, they should have notified the parents of the kid who was snooping in desks and dealt with him that way.. not by humiliating and being cruel to the rest of the kids.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

No, two worngs dont make a right but i do wonder why you keep saying kids like they are five, they are 13ish. Most if not all of them have felt disapointment, if this is the worst they've had it they have led seriously sheltered. To call for the loss of teachers jobs is a bit much. I get the kids are a wee bit sad, but they will get over it.

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

I honestly dont see the big deal. It was a prank, and I'm sure most of these kids have pulled pranks on the teachers as well. They are old enough to get over it and suck it up.

Soooo... two wrongs make a right? Or, since it is ok for the kids to do it, the adults should to?

Sorry, they are supposed to be adults.. not bloody teenagers who thinks its funny to punk a group of kids..

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

OOhh boy... sorry that you are not understanding the actual issue... 

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Sorry those poor little snowflakes need to get over it. They are going to be highschoolers next year, not 1st graders. Be a little bummed and get the he'll over it. If those teenagers don't learn that in the next 5 years, they are all going to be fucked.

Quoting Sekirei:

So.. you're an expert on how kids (because, yes, they are kids) feel in all situations?

Sorry, this is not something a teacher should do. I do believe it warrants unpaid leave.. 

if anything, they should have notified the parents of the kid who was snooping in desks and dealt with him that way.. not by humiliating and being cruel to the rest of the kids.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

No, two worngs dont make a right but i do wonder why you keep saying kids like they are five, they are 13ish. Most if not all of them have felt disapointment, if this is the worst they've had it they have led seriously sheltered. To call for the loss of teachers jobs is a bit much. I get the kids are a wee bit sad, but they will get over it.

Quoting Sekirei:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

I honestly dont see the big deal. It was a prank, and I'm sure most of these kids have pulled pranks on the teachers as well. They are old enough to get over it and suck it up.

Soooo... two wrongs make a right? Or, since it is ok for the kids to do it, the adults should to?

Sorry, they are supposed to be adults.. not bloody teenagers who thinks its funny to punk a group of kids..

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Go watch your little snowflake. Boo boo might get a paper cut.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Nope. It was humorous. I would have laughed. Hell even if I was one of the kids I would be laughing at all the drama queens crying. They really need to GTFOI or else they will be crushed as adults.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

You see no issue with adults acting like this?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

This isn't about how special you are.  Or about how  you may lack in character.

This is about the lack of professionalism, the lack of common sense and such the teachers, the adults, showed in thinking their prank was appropriate.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM
2 moms liked this

For those who can't comprehend............

Read slowly if that helps......

This isn't about the poor little snowflakes.  This is about adults, teachers, thinking this was appropriate.  How can one expect to be taken seriously, be respected, to actually teach the children, when they are acting like a damn child themselves.  Very unprofessional, to say the least.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Nope. It was humorous. I would have laughed. Hell even if I was one of the kids I would be laughing at all the drama queens crying. They really need to GTFOI or else they will be crushed as adults.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

This is about the lack of professionalism, the lack of common sense and such the teachers, the adults, showed in thinking their prank was appropriate.

The word 'pathetic' comes to mind when you post.

sherry132
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I don't know what has happened to teachers lately. I know this much, if I had a kid just starting in school, I would definitely homeschool. Today's schools are not where I want my kids. 

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM
I can think of a few for you BUT I'll keep them to myself for now.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting ButterMeUp:

I can think of a few for you BUT I'll keep them to myself for now.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

My 'snowflake' is more mature than you are.  

You should feel like a fool, considering you failed to comprehend what this is really about.  Instead, you would rather act much like those 'adults' did.  

Have fun with that.  It should get you far in life.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:24 PM

oh FFS...Teachers cant do anything right anymore.  IMO they should turn up hand out shit and then sit in a corner. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)