Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Disney world prank angers parents

Posted by   + Show Post

Disney world prank angers parents

Teachers' elaborate joke 'really stupid judgment'

Doug Schmidt, The Windsor Star

Published: Thursday, February 21, 2013

Parents at a South Windsor school are expressing outrage after teachers led graduating students to believe they were heading to Disney World for a year-end trip - only to reveal the next day that the kids were the butt of an elaborate joke.

One of the teachers recorded the scene on an iPad and it was later shown to another class so they too could join in the teachers' merriment.

"I have a lot of respect for teachers and what they do, but this was really stupid judgment," said parent Peter To-polovec.

Roseland public school's graduating students were told last Thursday that they were in for a spectacular year-end field trip to Disney World in Orlando, Fla.

On Friday, both Grade 8 classes were shepherded into a room, shown a video of their Disney dream vacation and given a PowerPoint presentation showing a palm tree-lined resort.

Travel brochures and hotel information were passed around. The flights are super cheap, a teacher said after one student expressed concern over cost.

The kids, ecstatic by now in anticipation, were urged by the teachers to yell out where they were going: "We're going to Disney!" That's when they were told to look at the last slide, which announced their 2013 field trip wasn't to a fabulous Florida funland, but to a Windsor bowling alley.

The reaction apparently caught even some of the pranksters by surprise, with one student-teacher who was in on the joke nearly coming to tears by the looks of dejection that followed.

"It was a huge error in judgment," Warren Kennedy, director of education of the Greater Essex County District School Board, told The Star Wednesday.

Bonnie Stewart, mother of twins who attend Grade 8 at Roseland, came home at 5 p.m. Friday to find both her kids already in their beds. She woke her son, who told her everything.

"I went into my daughter's room, and I told her I was so sorry - she just looked so sad," said Stewart. "They felt they were made fools of - it was humiliating," she added.

"When my son told me, it blew me away," said Topolovec. To humiliate the children and then compound it by recording it and showing it to their peers, he added, "that's bullying, and there should be zero tolerance."

Stewart suggested if the Grade 8s had pulled off a similar prank at the expense of the Grade 2s, there would be suspensions at the least and possibly expulsions.

"We would not have tolerated it," public school board spokesman Scott Scantlebury told The Star when asked about just such a scenario.

"This is something we're working through with everyone at the school," Roseland principal Laura Bates said Wednesday. She referred further questions to board director Kennedy.

"I don't think anyone is happy about this," said Kennedy. He said he wasn't able to "go into personnel matters" but that apologies had gone out and that those involved "realize their error ... they're owning the problem."

While neither parent is calling for suspensions or worse, both Stewart and Topolovec feel the students and parents are owed a meeting with the school's principal and the teachers involved, so that, according to Stewart, "the teachers can hear how this has made the kids feel."

The rest of the article is at the source

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Replies (41-50):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting turtle68:

oh FFS...Teachers cant do anything right anymore.  IMO they should turn up hand out shit and then sit in a corner. 

This isn't true.  Teachers should, however, act like adults.  This isn't something is appropriate.  Pranks can be fun but when an adult goes to such lengths to 'trick' their students, and then they wonder why they are not respected......they need only look in the mirror for their answer.

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

That's awful. What kind of teacher would do that? Would even think about doing that?

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting turtle68:

oh FFS...Teachers cant do anything right anymore.  IMO they should turn up hand out shit and then sit in a corner. 

This isn't true.  Teachers should, however, act like adults.  This isn't something is appropriate.  Pranks can be fun but when an adult goes to such lengths to 'trick' their students, and then they wonder why they are not respected......they need only look in the mirror for their answer.

I dont think it was funny and I do think the teachers went too far.....what I dont think it needs is national media attention and people calling for their jobs. 

A mistake in judgement is something that can DESTROY you these days ...there is no room whatsoever for an adult or professional to make a mistake and get a smack on the wrist....they have to have their head on a stick and aired for the world to throw things at them.

The way the world is going a teacher will not be able to speak...at all...ever.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting turtle68:

I dont think it was funny and I do think the teachers went too far.....what I dont think it needs is national media attention and people calling for their jobs. 

A mistake in judgement is something that can DESTROY you these days ...there is no room whatsoever for an adult or professional to make a mistake and get a smack on the wrist....they have to have their head on a stick and aired for the world to throw things at them.

The way the world is going a teacher will not be able to speak...at all...ever.

I agree with the national media attention.

I understand what you are saying.  I don't think these teachers should be fired. 

This prank, however, certainly does not garner these individuals any respect and they set themselves back.  

LeilaBeansMom
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:42 PM
I heard it that way in my head too!

Quoting lizzielouaf:

LOL that is exactly what I was thinking!

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

How rude 

May not be appropriate but reading your reply...........Stephanie from 'Full House' came to mind.  lol  I think that was the characters name.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:44 PM
How mean!!
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:50 PM
I can't believe it took until page 4 for homeschooling to pop up.

Quoting sherry132:

I don't know what has happened to teachers lately. I know this much, if I had a kid just starting in school, I would definitely homeschool. Today's schools are not where I want my kids. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bellarose0212
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:36 AM

I'm shocked that not one but several teachers brought this idea to fruition without any of them setting off alarms that it could be inappropriate and just down right cruel.

You know what would be hilarious? Building up student excitement and hope just to crush it down and record that all on video tape! Yeah, awesome! We only devoted our careers to building students up, so this makes sense for us to do.

What the hell kind of conversations did they have while planning this?

Proud2BWeird
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:46 AM
The fact that you think this prank was funny says a lot about you and your lack of compassion, empathy, and common sense. You are not a person I would want having anything to do with children, seeing that you think treating them with respect is sheltering them.

A PP put it best; a large part of the job in teaching is to build up children. Using the position to tear them down is unconscionable.

This isn't simply a matter of bad judgement, it's indicative of the type of people these teachers are. They should not be teachers if they think it's funny to disappoint people, and to then humiliate them in front of their peers is cruel.

They should be fired.

Quoting ButterMeUp:

Nope. It was humorous. I would have laughed. Hell even if I was one of the kids I would be laughing at all the drama queens crying. They really need to GTFOI or else they will be crushed as adults.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting ButterMeUp:

I honestly dont see the big deal. It was a prank, and I'm sure most of these kids have pulled pranks on the teachers as well. They are old enough to get over it and suck it up.

You see no issue with adults acting like this?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:00 AM

In what world would that be funny an acceptable? Why would a teacher do that?

I can't believe that there wasn't at least one person in on the prank that said "uhhh this might not be such a good idea".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN