Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Married or your child?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM
  • 46 Replies

I am watching a marathon of 'I Love Lucy'.

I have always adored Lucille Ball.

But this isn't about her.

For all the years I have watched, and loved, this show........for what ever reason, today it seems the way she was treated, which was 'normal' and 'accepted' back then, is glaring at me.

Were women the wife or the child?  Ricky treats her much in the same way we treat our children.

I don't know how many lived through that crap.

Ya, ya, I know..........'that is the way it was' and hell, some even think it still should be.

Cannot comprehend that.

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM
3 moms liked this

Remember it was a caricature. "The Honeymooners" could also give you an idea that all husbands were threatening to send their wives "to the moon!" Or that all wives had a sarcastic sense of humor.

Even today's hits certainly have their cartoonish elements, like the self-involved characters of "Suburgatory."

romalove
by Roma on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Separate beds

He puts her over his knee and spanks her

She has to ask permission from him to spend anything

She has to hide and lie things from him if he is disapproving

Working outside the home was beyond her ken, as it was beyond his ken to clean or cook anything

It was a very long time ago and a blink of an eye ago, all at the same time.  The revolutions of the 1960's and 1970's made these shows relics of a time we will never see again.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:35 PM

AZ, it is funny you say this. I grew up watching that show after school in syndication (it was old even then, but hey, we only had 3 channels, so there) and I actually did enjoy it. I was a kid, and it seemed funny.

I can remember the exact day that the thoughts you expressed became clear to me..and I was never able to watch it again after that.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Ever notice how many times John Wayne spanks the leading lady in his movies? I remember one where he chases her through town until he catches her, throws her over his knee and spanks her publically while other folks watching cheer.

We've come a long way baby.

Quoting romalove:

Separate beds

He puts her over his knee and spanks her

She has to ask permission from him to spend anything

She has to hide and lie things from him if he is disapproving

Working outside the home was beyond her ken, as it was beyond his ken to clean or cook anything

It was a very long time ago and a blink of an eye ago, all at the same time.  The revolutions of the 1960's and 1970's made these shows relics of a time we will never see again.

Neon Washable Paint

TugBoatMama
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM

We were seen as being much like children back then. I even posted an old newpaper article on FB talking about why its necessary to spank your wife for disciplinary reasons.

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Stop over analyzing the show.  It was a situation comedy...that and nothing more.  Why can't you just enjoy it for the talent of Lucille Ball and Ricki Arnaz?

As gdiamante said above, the Honeymooners wasn't a reflection of real life relationships either.  Was Seinfeld representative of 30 somethings?  Were all 30 somethings in the 90's a bunch of whining neurotic idiots?

Oh, and Roma, the separate beds thing was because of tv standards and practices rules.  They used to have them in those days.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:47 PM

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:51 PM

juju40
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:52 PM

one of my favorite movies

Quoting NWP:

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I know it was a different time when this stuff was considered funny...but looking at the clips now can be disturbing. I posted a few just above this and try watching it now.

Quoting grandmab125:

Stop over analyzing the show.  It was a situation comedy...that and nothing more.  Why can't you just enjoy it for the talent of Lucille Ball and Ricki Arnaz?

As gdiamante said above, the Honeymooners wasn't a reflection of real life relationships either.  Was Seinfeld representative of 30 somethings?  Were all 30 somethings in the 90's a bunch of whining neurotic idiots?

Oh, and Roma, the separate beds thing was because of tv standards and practices rules.  They used to have them in those days.

Neon Washable Paint

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN