Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why is U.S. minimum wage Less than half what Australia pays their workers?** UPDATED**

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:20 PM
  • 95 Replies
1 mom liked this

I was reading up on this & found it quite shocking how much Australia pays their workers on minimum wage.  One thing I learned is that Australia has a "Labour Party" that represents the workers.  America needs to start electing a Gov. that cares.  Needs to elect Candidates who do not acccept bribes.  We need to create a "Labour Party", like 50 other Countries are doing.  Throw out lobbyiest & bribed Politicians.  For a party that will represent the 99% of us. 

Australia pays their workers a min. wage @ $17/hr., to flip burgers.  Australia has converted their money to U.S. money.  Where as we here in the U.S. is only at about $7.25/with talks of raising that.  Still why such a difference?  I wonder how is it that businesses such as a "Burger" place can still make money themselves, with paying such high min. wage. 

2010 Australia is the 13th Largest Economy in the World.  Since, turning to trade with the Eastern Asia Pacific Region.  Fastest growing advanced economics in the world.  13th According to GDP - current prices  17th GDP (PPP).  Stabled modern institutional & regulatory structure ranked 3rd. in 2011.  Behind Hong King & Singapore.  They have an ideal environment for business & environment.  Concerns too reliant on exports from China.  Australia Unemploy.  (to them it's high) 2010 - 5.192% .22% more than the World.  4.97%.  Employed:  11,220,600  Unemployed: 619,100.  Inflation a cause for concern, high food & gas. 

I was also reading  up on Canada's economy.  2011 - Canadians working 61.8% up from 57.1 in 1976.  11.8% - work p/t  50% - work f/t.  Women with kids under 6 was working at 66.8%.  2011.  55.4% for youths 15-24.  Recent Immigrants 58.9%. 

So, I wonder why can't or aren't we modeling after these Countries?

Look for the title of this article, which is my title of this thread, then click on that.  If the link doen't just come up.***

http://www.ibtimes.com/why-us-minimum-wage-less-half-what-australia-pays-their-workers-722579

by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raintree
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:25 PM
5 moms liked this

What else do those countries have in common, Naturewoman?

jllcali
by Jane on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM
2 moms liked this
I bet they don't let their kids listen to that evil rap music

Quoting Raintree:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:34 PM
5 moms liked this

They also have universal health care. Makes you look at this place and say why the hell can't they follow good examples we are far from elite

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Ha!

Quoting jllcali:

I bet they don't let their kids listen to that evil rap music

Quoting Raintree:

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:56 PM

BUMP!

D.O.E.
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:08 PM

i wonder how much a meal costs at those joints? would it be comparable to the price of a happy meal in the US?

gammie
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:16 PM
4 moms liked this

We can but prices will go up on everything!! Someone has to pay for this and it will be the consumer.

And you will be in the same boat, nothing will change.

LaceNBklyn
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:18 PM
From my understanding the pay wage varies everywhere by the cost of living in those places.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gammie
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I have been to Australia and everything is expensive, prices are high to pay for their $17/hr 

gammie
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Prices go up to pay $17/hr you end up in the same boat.

Quoting D.O.E.:

i wonder how much a meal costs at those joints? would it be comparable to the price of a happy meal in the US?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN